Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Need new Matrix Carbon Fiber plastics

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2004, 10:32 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need new Matrix Carbon Fiber plastics

Hey all,
After a recent trip riding, I rolled my brand new KFX at about a 5 mph power slide. The whole right side plastic shatered like glass. What a poor design.

Needless to say, I need new front and rear carbon fiber plastics.

Does anyone know how much and where to get them?

Thanks much.
I'll have pics soon.

Mike

Old 01-05-2004, 11:03 AM
Pro Rider

what was the air temperature?

Old 01-05-2004, 11:26 AM
Range Rover

~79 degrees

Old 01-05-2004, 11:31 AM
Pro Rider

so much for the brittle while cold theory!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 01-05-2004, 02:51 PM
Range Rover

Hey Mike,

EXACT same thing happened to me when I was brand new on the quad. I rolled it onto the right side doing a low speed power slide because like the idiot newbie that I was I let off the throttle. (NEVER LET OFF THROTTLE WHILE SLIDING... DUH)

Anyway, I also busted up my matrix carbon plastics (they shattered). The limited edition plastic (Lava Red and Matrix Carbon) are a totally different plastic than the standard more flexible plastic on most quads and on the orange and green versions of the V-Force. They are for sure more brittle (warm, cold or whatever). My quote was about 800 bucks to replace front and rear plastics. More than twice as expensive as orange and green. Some quads you can replace front and rear fenders for about 200 bucks. Price you pay to look cool.

I reassembled mine with black zip ties and it looks cool. Drilled round holes about every 2 inches along each break. The breaks are clean I imagine I could epoxy the pieces together and remove the zip ties if I wanted to. I got a check from my insurance company but I won't be getting new plastics until these are totalled.

I actually recommend against the limited edition colors for this very reason... this plastic looks great but it just DOESN'T FLEX at all. Unless you are the type of rider that will NEVER wipeout, you will break them. I hope to become that type of rider myself, but my problem is I like to challenge the big hills. Oh well.

Good luck I hope you get a better price than 800 bucks.

Old 01-05-2004, 03:00 PM
Range Rover

Oh by the way, the only place I could find to get them is through a Kawasaki dealer, so your best bet is to get estimates from more than one dealer since they can mark up the parts however they want to. I really don't think there's an alternative to the dealer. The other problem is that most of them won't give you an estimate over the phone and they will charge you to look at your quad (estimate charge). At least, that's the story with these rip off artist dealers in Southern California. I hope you have a better experience than I did. At least my insurance covered it.

Old 01-06-2004, 10:08 AM
Range Rover

Yep, I rolled to the right side too.

The cheapest I've found so far was ~740.00 from Mark At: 1-800-860-0686
I'll call the dealer today now that theyre open, and find out.

I tell you what, I see a BIG law suit from that design. If It would've rolled over my leg, it would've cut it off! That stuff is DANGEROUS! It's so sharp now with the jagged edges.
I can't believe that kawasaki would make a hard plastic fender like that!

Someone's gona get killed from that.

Old 01-07-2004, 12:22 AM
Weekend Warrior

HEy I hear you guys, The same thing happened to me. I managed to flip the green machine during a low speed rip. (Ornary snow Drift) The quad came to rest on its Left side, and a peice from the left fender broke clean off. It basically broke off the size of the V-Force sticker. I was a bit miffed because it wasn't even very cold. Only about 5 Deg F which isn't uncommon for my area. Needless to say, I guess I'll have to break out the classic ty-rap stich kit.
[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 01-07-2004, 02:36 PM
RPM
Pro Rider

I priced them through my Kawi Dealer, and they came to the WOPPING Price of (Are you sitting down?) $1004 and some change. That's for everything, I was considering changing my plastic over to the Carbon Fiber. Needless to say, I passed on it.

Old 01-07-2004, 02:44 PM
RPM
Pro Rider

Hey DirtDoctor, I can't remember where I got them, but I have a bag of Kawi Green Zip-Ties. Check around, they are out there. They won't show up as bad.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: Need new Matrix Carbon Fiber plastics