Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

How to wire up a tether kill switch for P650???

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2004, 10:52 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How to wire up a tether kill switch for P650???

I just bought a new Pro Design tether cord kill switch for my P650, and the only instructions say to hook up the switch's shorter wire to ground (that's easy) and the switch's longer wire to the positive coil wire (or to the "engine pulse trigger wire on stator unit if the ATV has a battery"). My question is where exactly do I hook up the longer wire? [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

Old 01-17-2004, 01:13 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

have you figured this one out yet? I'm in the same situation. If you know anything please let me know.

Old 01-17-2004, 01:28 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you connect either wire to a good ground and splice into the grey wire at your ignition key. That worked for me!

I believe if you do some searching, someone has some pictures of the procedure being done on a V-force. Which will work on a Prairie.

Old 01-17-2004, 08:05 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wildwill,
What a coincidence that you responded today....I just finished hooking up my tether cord kill switch to my P650 in anticipation of the upcoming GNCC race in 2 weeks. I didn't have room on my handlebars (b/c of the large plastic cover around the bars), so I just mounted the switch to my front rack (near the accessory plug on the left hand side). You were correct Wildwill, the gray wire going to the key ignition switch works great for my switch. Actually, PrairieWench and Newbeatle(Mike W.) told me about the gray wire a week or so ago. I found a good ground by hooking up to one of the screws that goes into the frame at the thermostat housing.

I have never had a tether switch on any of my quads before and I'm a little nervous that it might accidentally come unplugged upon landing from a big jump or hitting a bump on the course. Have you guys had any bad experiences with a tether switch accidentally coming unplugged during a race? Is this a common problem or is it so rare that I should't worry about it?

Happy trails...[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]