Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Hiper carbon fiber or ITP Baja rims?

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2004, 01:08 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hiper carbon fiber or ITP Baja rims?

JJ

Thanks, you just answered my question about the 4+1 backspacing. I didn't know if it would work, but by you having them, those are what I'm going to get. Now I just need to know what color rim collars to get. I'm thinking the red or yellow.

Mental, thanks for the input on Kawy. I looked at his pics, and now I know I want them.

Old 01-16-2004, 01:10 PM
Pro Rider

good luck and keep in touch.....

Old 01-16-2004, 01:14 PM
Pro Rider

I've raced several hare scramble races with the Baja's on my 650# + beast... I to, wanted bead locks, but the cost keeps me from mounting ALL of my tires on beadlocks... I have several sets of Baja rims, that have been "poorman locked" I drill a 1/8" hole every other hole in the reinforcing rings, both inner & outer, & screw in a 3/4" X #10 stainless screw... they work great, are less prone to leak than my other beadlocks... I've pounded the rockiest trails, raced several 90 minute hare scrambles, & was registered to race the 12 hours race ( in which I'd have been using this set up... I've never damaged a rim... Try jumping a 40' tabletop with a 650# - 700# Prairie...LOL... I think I've thoughly tested them...

I'm sure by now, that Hyper Tech offer wheels in this bolt pattern, but the guy's I know, that attemped to put them on last year, had to modify Honda hubs to mount them on the rears...

I actually think the Baja's are a lighter wheel, & IMO, probably just about as strong... why would you want to pay more ????

Old 01-16-2004, 01:53 PM
Range Rover

Hey guys, sorry haven't logged on in a few days, my wife and I just had our first baby, little girl Tuesday night so I've been living in the hospital! Anyhow the HiPer rims are the way to go, I race district 6 hare scrambles and the PA state series so I can comfortably say the HiPer rims hold up to the toughest of conditions. Rausch Creek and Traxx (Jack Frost) are probably the two roughest courses in the states and these rims have held up great! You will have to change to the Honda 4x100 hubs and will have to use spacers of some sort unless you find offset hubs, they do exist just hard to find. I am using Duarablue hubs and spacers and I wish I had weighed the rims prior to mounting compared to stock. I can definitely tell you they are much lighter and much tougher!! My advice for all GNCC racers is to get the HiPer rims, if you only are weekend trail rider you probably could save the $340 and buy some other goodies for your V plus the Baja's. Good luck!!

Old 01-16-2004, 02:02 PM
Pro Rider

KAWY...Congrats on your new arrival...

Old 01-16-2004, 02:07 PM
Trailblazer

GE,

Hold up a second (sorry I confused you) -- I have the Hiper rims and tires mounted but haven't put them on the V yet -- they're sitting on the floor in the garage (waiting for the V to return from Mickey Dunlap's shop in a week or so). The saleswoman at HiPer, who is extremely knowledgable and helpful, told me the 4+1 would fit so I'm trusting her. We'll see.

-Jim

Old 01-16-2004, 03:22 PM
Pro Rider

Kawy, first of all, congradulations on the new baby girl. Nothing beats having a child of your own.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

You said some had to modify the 400ex hubs. I was wondering what you ment. The only thing I hear that you have to do, is grind down the nut or the back of the hub so you can put the keeper pin in. Is there something else I will need to do.

Old 01-16-2004, 03:27 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: JJDog
GE,

Hold up a second (sorry I confused you) -- I have the Hiper rims and tires mounted but haven't put them on the V yet -- they're sitting on the floor in the garage (waiting for the V to return from Mickey Dunlap's shop in a week or so). The saleswoman at HiPer, who is extremely knowledgable and helpful, told me the 4+1 would fit so I'm trusting her. We'll see.

-Jim
I was told the same thing, but I was hopeing for actuall experience, not just a verbal. Looking at Kawy pics, it looks like he has the 4+1 on his. Maybe he will tune in in between diaper changes.

Old 01-17-2004, 01:00 AM
Range Rover

GE4x4,

I would recommend the Hipper Tech rims.

I know, know everyone rides hard...

I have bent two sets of ITP T-9 Baja rims (front & rear) so far. Cracked my frame in two different areas and bent two A arms (two different times). Average ride is 110 miles with a moving average of 27 mph over PA rock trails. All the cracks and bends were from trail riding (no trees or roll overs) yet. I can take a new T-9 down this one trail about three miles… and make it square…same trail with Hipper Tech… not a ding. If you really ride hard get the Hipper Tech.

RJ

Old 01-17-2004, 02:53 PM
Pro Rider

Just ordered the Hiper wheels. I got the 10x5 front with a 4+1 backspacing single beadlock, and a 9x9 rear with a 3+6 double beadlock with red rings. Mounted on them are Razr2 23/7/10 front and 22/11/9 rears. If anyone is looking for Hipers, this was the cheapest place I found, and I did a lot of looking. PM me and I will give name and #.

Quick Reply: Hiper carbon fiber or ITP Baja rims?