Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

P360 belt squeal - do they all do this?

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2004, 01:34 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default P360 belt squeal - do they all do this?

The dealer says this is normal. It started @ about 50 hours and keeps doing it. I've adjusted it and the dealer has lokked it over.

Old 01-20-2004, 02:18 PM
Pro Rider

No, you either need to adjust the belt deflection because it's too loose, or get a new belt.. I doubht it's the belt though

Old 01-20-2004, 03:16 PM
Pro Rider

Hey uinthas, What does that spring do for you?
Does it make it rev higher?
The dealer said to blow out the dust. this helped a little.
She was rode very hard for a couple weeks when some "unauthorized" riders beat the hell outta her.

Old 01-20-2004, 05:43 PM
Weekend Warrior

epi secondary spring is similar in effect to a rear sprocket change on a dirt bike. epi makes a black and a red for your 360. i have the black which is a moderate gear change. the red is a dramatic change...good for heavy oversized tires,super steeps,or major mud. both give you a lower overall gearing, and more engine drag when decellerating. the epi black spring is a must in my opinion. i would sand the belt with emery paper to remove glasing, and install the epi black spring first,as its the milder of the two options. if your belt squeals or squawks on take-off it is too loose,remove one of the two shims. if the belt squeals slightly when in gear, but the quad is not moving, it is a hair tight...leave it as it is. it will eventually go away. their is a nyroc sit or same site under a new name that has a step by step. i used his instructions and tool and it is not too bad of a job. i pulled 1 of the 2 shims and did the b spring because my 360 belt started to squawk after a winter of heavy snowplowing.

Old 01-20-2004, 07:40 PM
Pro Rider

Red spring will give you much more torque & you'll feel like you can climb just about any hill in H. Downside to the spring is you'll be reving higher RPM's therefore making a bit more engine noise & you'll loose aprox 2-3 mph on top end. I use the red spring in the winter & spring when I ride heavy snow & mud, then in the summer & fall I use the black spring p360nh eliduded to. Both are great springs.

Keeping your clutches clean is a good idea, I have not noted any ill efects from the dust, but have been told multiple times to keep it clean, so that's what I do now, I can certainly imagine it's bennefits.

Old 01-20-2004, 08:46 PM
Pro Rider

Go to ATVPOWER.com.They have all the info you need there.

Old 01-27-2004, 08:52 PM
Pro Rider

Does the shim go between the sheave?
What is nyroc?

Old 01-29-2004, 10:03 AM
Range Rover

No way should your belt be squealing. Mine is quiet. Dealer problem perhaps? Yeah I would like more information about those secondary springs. Not being a mechanic, could a typical dealer mechanic install it for me?

Old 01-29-2004, 10:18 AM
Pro Rider

If you have the spring compressor, it is easy to change springs ( this is needed to add / remove shims, as well )... though it's alot nicer to have someone who has done it, help you the 1st time...

The shims used to set the belt deflection are in the middle of the secondary clutch ( the clutch must be disassembled to change shims )... many people mistakenly remove the washer from the outside of the secondary, thinking that it is a shim... removing this washer will do nothing to adjust the belt deflection...

If your quad was beaten, as described, the belt could be glazed... there are alot of poor dealerships out there with unexpirienced mechanics, that are learning on the job... so just because the dealer says it's ok, doesn't mean it's right... the belt should not squeal at all... most dealers will tell you, if your belt is glazed, that it needs to be replaced, however, the edges can be roughed up with course sandpaper, as long as care is taken to remove all the grit, so that it doesn't damage your clutch sheeves

Old 01-29-2004, 05:51 PM
Pro Rider

Just ordered the black spring from EPI $25. We'll check the belt when we replace the spring, but planning to remove a shim.

I'll do this to the Eiger too. My belt never has squealed but the power improvement interests me. I'm looking to add 26" mudlites and the spring will compensate for the bigger tires.

Quick Reply: P360 belt squeal - do they all do this?