Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Analog Tachometer

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2004, 10:39 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Analog Tachometer

I believe they tap into the coil and you also provide a 12v source for the backlight. I just received a email from atvoutfitters stating that the HL tach is for Honda atvs only. Whatssuppwitdat when they state in the ad "Registering from a connection at the coil, it works great on 4-strokes adn 2-strokes, singles and twin engines."

Oh well, I located the DD tach at Dennis Kirk. I'll give that one a try. Thanks for the help [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 01-25-2004, 02:04 PM
Pro Rider

BIGSAINT... the DD tach has worked really well for me... the kit comes with a pigtail to the coil for easy hook up... it also comes with a coiled wire to wrap around the coil / plug wire... I'd only use that one for temperary hook up... ( don't cut the wires to shorten, like I did... the are like mini cable wires, & were a nightmare to fix, after I cut it... )... it only took me 20 minutes to install, even with the wire cutting snafu...the ability to save high rpm is a nice feature, when working with aftermarket mods... good luck... I also ordered mine from DK... I also had originally wanted the HL tack, to match my HL temp gauge...

Old 01-25-2004, 02:09 PM
Pro Rider

well i dont know where the coil is can u tell me? and i got a bayou so it isnt a honda but im sure theres a way to hook it up because kawasaki.com sells some but i dont like the looks.. i like the racing ones thanks

Old 01-25-2004, 05:20 PM
Pro Rider

Super, thanks for the info newbeatle ! I will go the route of the coil for sure. I ordered last night, should have it in a few days. Any ideas on a mount ? I was thinking of fabbing a piece of alum to make a mount that bolts in front of the ignition on the bars. Thanks again for your help.

Ty, I did alot of reading on this last night, including many searches here. I'm not sure it's as easy as just getting a tach from Summit Racing and bolting it up. From what I've read, I could not find one member here that went with a analog tach on a NON-HONDA bike. Here's some interesting reading Ty Tachometers Oh well, dead link. Do a search on the main page of forums for tachometer, lots of good reading.

Old 01-25-2004, 05:56 PM
Pro Rider

B.S.... the D.D. tach comes vith Velcro for mounting... after moving it around to several locations, I finally decided to mount mine on top of the filter box, under the body cover... the plastic cover is easily removable for testing, where I would want to monitor the tach, & with the cover in place, it is out of site of prying eyes... this also affords it a little more weather protection, although it is water resistant...

Old 01-25-2004, 06:06 PM
Pro Rider

Great, thanks for the info again NB, really appreciate your help [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] .

Old 02-03-2004, 02:33 AM
Pro Rider

Got the tach today from DK. Looks good, except the pigtail they sent won't work for me as the + side of the coil wire is attached via a o-ring type connector on the OEM pick up. I soldered a short a short length of wire up with a o-ring connector on one end to attach to the coil and a female bullet connector for the the tach's wire. I'm guessing it will work but not sure since you mentioned the cable type wire on the tach ???

Old 02-03-2004, 03:51 AM
Pro Rider

hey guys im having problems looking up your links. where did you order your tachs from? I need one bad. Its hard tuneingand hearing this quad at the track when a have dozen quads are racing around the pits with no mufflers.

Old 02-03-2004, 12:50 PM
Pro Rider

Try this link . If that doesn't work go to denniskirk.com and enter 406698 as the product number [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 02-11-2004, 02:00 PM
Pro Rider

Finally found some time to get it installed today. Works great, very responsive with little lag. BTW the pick up wire is on the negative side of the coil. There's a spade connection there that you unplug and re-attach using the provided pigtail the tach comes with. I put few pics. up off the install if anyone is interested. Came out pretty clean. Thanks again NB [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: Analog Tachometer