Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

belt noise

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2004, 09:06 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default belt noise

I have a question for yas as alot of you know I have a 02 p-650. I had a new belt and shim installed 2 weeks ago, when the bike gets warm the belt starts squealing on it at take off it sounds like a hound dog in pain. I wanted to know if anyone knew what might be wrong. Does it sound like my primary clutch not engaging with enough pressure? skun

Old 01-24-2004, 09:07 PM
Pro Rider
Default belt noise

Old 01-24-2004, 09:12 PM
Pro Rider
Default belt noise

the belt is loose, gotta take that shim out so the belt is in spec

Old 01-24-2004, 09:49 PM
Pro Rider
Default belt noise

Your deflection is set to tight. You gotta take off your clutch cover and check your deflection. It is probably too tight. Check it out and set your deflection accordingly. Your deflection should be 7/8 of an inch or a little more. You gotta <u>add</u> shims to increase your deflection

Old 01-24-2004, 10:20 PM
Trailblazer
Default belt noise

it just came back from the dealer wednesday and the dealer said everything was in spec I meant to add that earlier. sorry[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img] skun

Old 01-24-2004, 10:52 PM
Pro Rider
Default belt noise

wouldn't it be a high pitched sound if it was to tight?

Old 01-24-2004, 11:23 PM
Trailblazer
Default belt noise

it does squeal at idle slightly when it is in gear because it is too tight but the noise I am describing is the belt slipping I would say cause you can come onto it in deep snow about 10 inches it will let the howls out of it before it will even move. like I said earlier it sounds just like a hound dog in pain it goes back to the dealer next wednesday again for them to tear it all apart cause on top of it all I do not have the speed nor the power I should have. so the dealer said he was going to try a new clutch etc to see if it will help it out any. also the primary clutch has a knock in it when you are driving it is that normal? and my engine break keeps coming on and off at 5 kms an hour you can hear it should it do that? I have only owned the bike 5 weeks and I seem to be having trouble with it.but I do like the bike they are a nice bike. the dealer gave me a 2 year warranty which I am glad he did now. Also the mechanic at the dealership turned my key on and started the bike and revved it up with my belt cover off of it. what does it do when they do that cause there are people on here that say not to do it could the mechanic cause any damage in there by doing it? the mechanic at my dealership is not the sharpest tool in the shed... you have to stand right over him.. He will leave out bolts that are hard to put back in etc I have to stand there and watch him so he will put them all back in. thanks boys for taking the time to read this and I know you boys can help me . [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] skun

Old 01-25-2004, 12:20 AM
Pro Rider
Default belt noise

the knock in the primary is not normal, the kebc coming on around 5kph is normal (unless it makes a screeching sound when it engages or when you shut the machine off, mine did this and i had to replace the actuator) as long as you dont have the kebc actuator plugged into the bike while the cover is off and the machine is on it is fine to run it w/o the cover

Old 01-25-2004, 11:36 AM
Pro Rider
Default belt noise

If the belt squeals at take off it is LOOSE.The minimum deflection is 22mm.Kaw offers a 1.4 mm shim,1.0mm shim,.8mm shim and .6 mm shim.Most 02's came with a 1.4 or 2 .6 shims.Mine had the 1.4 from the factory.Mine started squealing at about 700 miles.I ordered all of the shims since I did not know what I would need and went ahead and replaced the belt.I ended up using the 1.0 shim for starters.My deflection was right at 22mm with that.Alot of guys use just one .6 shim.The knocking sound is normal at idle especially when it's cold out.You should fine it goes away when it warms up.It;'s the clutch shoes in the primary.My Kodiak did this to some extent too.
You are NOT suppose to run the quad with the side cover off or even turn the key on.This screws up the KEBC memory.Not to scare you but I would not let someone work on mine that leaves bolts out...geeeeesh.I wonder where they get these guys?Maybe you should do it yourself? ATVPOWER.com has step by step info on how to do many things to these bikes.
Good luck
02 650 camo

Old 01-25-2004, 09:41 PM
Trailblazer
Default belt noise

thanks for the replys guys

Quick Reply: belt noise