Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

belt noise

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2004, 11:09 AM
MDG
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default belt noise

If the KEBC was unplugged it’s ok to run with the cover off. It sound like the belt is loose. If you are taking it back to the dealer, Have them check the deflection while you watch. Make sure he uses some kind of scale to apply 13lbs of pressure against the belt. I use a fish scale. Don’t let him just use his finger. Have him shim it to the tight side of the spec. If the knocking only happens when at idle then it is probably the wear shoes. I had to change mine with 600 miles on the quad.
If your mechanic is really that bad I would find a different one or do it yourself. The best investment you can make is a shop manual.

Old 01-26-2004, 03:27 PM
Trailblazer
Default belt noise

Might want to check the driven sheave bushings. It may be worn and you will get a false reading on the belt deflection. If it is bad you are replace the sheave assembly. But someone has replaced just the bushings. You have to find them in the right size or have them made at a machine shop. Do a search to find out more. I had a set made, so I can replace them the next time I am in there. I don't know who to trust for a dealer mechanic. I have seen that I know more than the shops, and that is from reading this forum and Nyroc's tips. I hope things work out for him. Good luck.

Old 01-26-2004, 05:41 PM
Trailblazer
Default belt noise

no he never unplugged the KEBC he just started it up with the cover off reved it up in neutral then installed the cover and smoked the tires and said yup shes all good now .Also my p650 don't even compare to a buddies up the road from me he weighs around 250 and I only weigh 170 he can pull a wheelie I can't, he tops out at 105 kmh I top out at 85 kmh if I hold it open for about 1\4 mile,what do you suppose makes mine so slow??????? but it has a new belt, not shimmed properly, also it lost speed with the new belt but the outter part of my primary clutch moves up and down but the shaft don't move ,would love to get her up and going good so I can feel all the power ,now 400 kodiaks kick my butt sad or what ? any ideas???????thanks SKUN.

Old 01-27-2004, 11:02 PM
Trailblazer
Default belt noise

hi my bike goes to the dealer in the morning wish me luck I will let you all know how I make out.. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] skun

Old 01-30-2004, 09:20 PM
Trailblazer
Default belt noise

The dealer reshimmed my clutch and syncronized my carbs now I top out at 88 kms an hour wow up 3 kms. I called the dealer back and told them it was still making an awful noise in the clutch and they decided they was going to tear my clutch apart and put new stuff in it plus they are going to give me a new shock where mine is no good.skun[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]