Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

atr's or maxxis bighorns???

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2004, 02:10 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default atr's or maxxis bighorns???

i am looking for new tires for my p700. i'm mostly a trail and light to meduim mud rider with some sand pits mixed in. the stock tires dive way to much for as hard as i ride, and get no traction in the sand. i've heard good things about both tires, but i dont know if the atr's will work for the mud that i sometimes hit. any suggestions.

Old 01-26-2004, 02:23 PM
Pro Rider

the ATR's will go through mud almost, but not quite as good as your stock tires, & ride as good, but offer 6 ply radial traction & durability, & if aired up to 5-7 psi, will handle like the quad is on rails... the Big Horns will ride just a little rougher ( really not too much though ), & are not quite as good a trail "blaster", as the ATR's, but will perform a little better in the mud, than the stock tires... but IMO, the Big Horns are one of the "coolest" looking tires out there, along with the Mudzilla's ( Maxxis does make cool looking tires...LOL )

Old 01-26-2004, 03:24 PM
Pro Rider

This seems to be a popular question...and I too am interested in the opinions of those who own them.

Old 01-26-2004, 04:24 PM
Weekend Warrior

has anyone heard anything on the carlisle xtr they look like atr's. do they perform the same. they are also $15 a piece cheaper

Old 01-26-2004, 04:48 PM
Range Rover

I do not own a set of ATRs, but I've owned both Bighorn Radial and Bias-ply tires.

The BH radials are a bit better riding over the rocky stuff, handle great in the high speed trails, but outweigh their bias-ply kin by a whopping 24 lbs. I also believe the radials hook better in a straight line.

The BH bias-ply on the other hand, are far lighter, handle even better on the trails (stiffer sidewall), and do well on the rocks. I like the bias-ply better for my riding style.

They are both quite surprising in the mud, though I'm not into mud-bogging. They have pulled through many a rack-deep mud/swamp hole without a hitch. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 01-26-2004, 04:53 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: mammy
has anyone heard anything on the carlisle xtr they look like atr's. do they perform the same. they are also $15 a piece cheaper
I've been asking the question on the Polaris forum w/o much luck. These tires are standard on the 2004 1/2 Sportsmans. Not many people have them yet so not too many opinions out there.

Old 01-26-2004, 05:06 PM
Pro Rider

They are also stock on the non-650 Cats this year... I got a good look at them reciently, & IMO, they may be one of the better tires this year... the rears are very wide ( which I like )... I would expect them to be a good all around tire... not overly good in mud, when compared to a Vamp or better mud tire, but at least as good as the Big Horns...they are much lighter than most comparable tires, I would expect them to ride smoothly & handle well ( may need increased air pressure in the fronts, as do alot of radial ATV tires ), I don't know from expirience, if the light weight will effect durability or not...

Old 01-26-2004, 08:30 PM
Pro Rider

~IMO The Maxxis Big Horns are the BEST all around tire you can buy! And YES they are also very cool looking! I like ITP products and for hard pack the ATR's are a very good tire, BUT when it comes to everything else Mud, Snow, Rutted Up and Rocky Trails the ATR's just like the 25" Mud Lites just dont hole up after one or two rides on them. For now on my Prairie 700 there wont be anything else!! ~chris

www.marylandatv.com
SEE PHOTOS OF PRAIRIE w/Maxxis Big Horn

Prairie700 w/ Broken Paw
V-FORCE
250R
And a bunch of other Toyz