Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Dial A Jet / jetting

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2004, 08:40 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dial A Jet / jetting

I am thinking about installing a Dial A Jet setup. I would like to know if avyone else is using it and if so how do you like it. The reason I was thinking about installing the dial a jet was for fine tuning. I generally do not change elevation. My elevation is around 1900ft and in Nebraska that doesn't change much. I am currently running 145, 148 jets. I hesitate slightly from a dead stop with the holeshot off, with holeshot on there is no hesitation. When cold it coughs through the carbs. If anyone can help please do.

Old 01-28-2004, 08:47 PM
Pro Rider

I've seen quite a few posts about the dial-a-jet. they all seem favorable. Each forum has a search box, type in what you want, you'll be surprised how many posts there have been. You may have to try several different post titles but their there.

I'm not familiar with the P700, so what is this Holeshot thing you turn on and off. It sounds like it needs to be on.

Old 01-28-2004, 10:55 PM
Trailblazer

papa, I just installed the dial a jet on my P700. Since then, I have not ridden it. From posts and articles I read, everything seemed positive. I hope it holds up to my expectations!

Old 01-29-2004, 06:28 AM
Pro Rider

if you go with dial-a-jets, chances are you will need to drop back down to your stock jet sizes. You need to lean out your carbs to make the dajs work properly........and from everyone i've spoken to that has them on a prairie they seem to be the hot setup!!!!!

Dial-a-Jet FAQ

Dial-a-Jet Tech Article.

check out those links and you will learn all you need to know about Dial-a-Jets.

l8r
cart

Old 01-29-2004, 08:58 AM
Pro Rider

I'm even thinking about going to a size or 2 smaller than stock jet, as it seems easier to richen with the DJ, & you can't lean out any more than what your jets are ( I want to finally be able to take our own quads out to the mountains of Colorado )...

Old 01-29-2004, 12:13 PM
Weekend Warrior

I have went through what you are going through now here is how it went for me. I did the muffler mod and snorkle and installed dial-a-jet. The bike ran like crap no matter how you adjusted it. Also the dial-a-jet is a pain to install on the Praire you have to drill holes in you air box(4).

I am running the same jets now as you 145-148 but I also modified the needle setting because I also had hesitation off idle. I used .08 washer(end of a pop rivet cut off). This makes it richer before the main jets kick in, I also adjusted pilot screw out to 3 1/2 turns. It nows runs like a champ no hesitation and strong from idle to max rpms. I would not order dial-a jets but if your still bent on getting them let me know I will sell you mine cheap let me know.

Old 01-29-2004, 10:16 PM
Trailblazer

Agree w/ olsonic1655 on the shimming of the needles and adjusting the idle fuel/air settings to make the idle mix richer. There's a nice method for accurately doing this by watching RPM (details on Nyroc's Site) rather than just number of turns out. Remember that every motor & elevation will require slightly different set-ups.

I also installed Dial-a-Jets, and not only were they not very dificult to install, I like the fact that they self adjust for temperature, altitude AND motor load. Lonn the developer & owner of Thunder Products is very helpful and knows his sh_t about tuning.

A few key points to consider though:
The Dial-A-Jets do not work at all unless the motor is under load. That's why the idle circuit and possibly the needles may need to be adjusted to overcome your "breathing" mods that created a lean condition.

If you've already done mods to the intake (Snorkle/Filter) & exhaust, you won't need to Jet Up after installing the Dial-A-Jet Kit. The OEM jet sizes will work fine.

My bike is tuned very well, and has no stumble what-so-ever off of the line, or anywhere in the powerband. Plan to take it to a chassis dyno soon to verify HP, Torque & Mixture.

Old 01-30-2004, 06:11 AM
Pro Rider

Prairie700
if you wanna get some real tires i have a set of outlaws i'll sell ya [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] I see your another happy dial-a-jet user!!!

Old 01-30-2004, 12:47 PM
Weekend Warrior

I had problems with my dial a jets also. I did the pipe mod, snorkel, uni air filter and went to a leaner jet. Bike ran horrible, could not get it to run right no matter how I adjusted it. Put the stock jets back in, a little better but still terrible. Lost alot off the bottom, mid was good top end bad, lost 8mph and it sounded like I had hit the rev limiter, even though it was no where close to maxing out, it surged like crazy and you could hear it in the air box. I think I am way too lean, I am pulling the snorkel off today and gonna try it that way. I was really surprised I couldn't dial it out with the Dial a jets. They made absolutely no difference from full lean to full rich. Everytime I went to adjust them the rear one was soaked with fuel, Lon says that is normal, but I don't have a good feeling about it. Lon the Owner of dial a jet is very helpful on the phone, just dosen't seem to have the answers I need. By the way, the install wasn't hard but you do have to drill 4 holes in your air box which I was not thrilled about doing, Make sure when you do this you seal all up completely, because two of these are under the air filter right next to the air horns.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img]

Old 01-30-2004, 01:36 PM
Range Rover

here
this tibbet of info should help some people with the dial a jet. i thought i had mine right but the truth is i had it to rich for the daj's to work properly.the bike a little above idle should acttually be a little lean not much but a little and then when you give it gas under a load (driveing it) only then the daj's will work if it's a little rich then you won't need the daj and it won't work. if you try to ajust and it doesn't do nothing thats another reason it won't work because your carb by itself doesn't need anymore gas and you lean it with daj it doesn.t because the carb is giving it more then you need. remember the dial a jet is for fineee tuning. start off a little lean and then you can turn up your daj. then you only change it with weather and altitude. i think!!!!!