Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

ATV Loading Ramp Safety

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2004, 10:44 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ATV Loading Ramp Safety

The back of my trailer is only about a foot off the ground, so loading the Foreman isn't bad at all. Stardalo's idea about using the winch is a good one, slow really is better when loading. Make sure you've got a solid anchor point before you hook up though. Might be able to load the bike without even being on it, which is safer again.

Old 02-06-2004, 12:17 PM
Trailblazer

Another safety issue is height of the tailgate. I drive a Z-71 with over-sized offroad tires, and the tailgate is too high to safely use 6' ramps. I bought some 7' ramps, and it made a world of difference in the loading angle.

Old 02-06-2004, 05:36 PM
Pro Rider

I had it happen once had just put new rear tires on the back of a 2 wheel drive rancher. Was loading it in the parking lot at the tire store, was hurrying and didn't starp my ramps. Backed off the throttle just before I was all the way off the ramps, had to use a little throttle to finish and the rears kicked the ramps off the tail gate. Rancher went off backwards and I jumped straignt back landed standing behind the rancher still holding the handlebars. The rancher was standing on its rear rack and back tires. Nothing hurt but lots of noise really embarassing everyone running to see if I was OK. My wife freeked made me promise to never try it again without strapping the ramps. Now when we use the car hauler trailer to haul the quads I still upset my wife because I just ride them off without using any ramps. I usually just lift them onto the trailer it's not very high.

Old 02-07-2004, 12:49 AM
Trailblazer

I fnially ponied up and got some real ramps, that I strap to the tailgate. But before that I used wood planks to load my kfx 400. Talk about dangerous!! Man those things would slide around and slide off. Luckily the kfx is pretty light. Cause I had it in a few hairy positions. I never dumped it though, thanfully.
Be careful guys, get some proper ramps and strap em down.
Happy riding.

Old 02-07-2004, 01:24 AM
Pro Rider

A riding buddy uses two 2 x 10's to load and unload. I've offered him my ramp, but nooooo! Problem is he always wants me to stand on the ends when he's going up or down. What's wrong with this picture?

Old 02-07-2004, 03:53 AM
Quad Patrol

I built a rack that hauls two of my quads in the back of my truck. When I built it, I welded 2" ***** in front of where each quad is on the rack. This is where I attach the electric winch that I use to load the quads onto the truck. It is much safer then trying to ride the quads up such a steep angle, I need to build 10 foot ramps.

Old 02-07-2004, 05:04 AM
Super Quad Patrol
Smokes meat all the time!

Originally posted by: therock
There have been 2 reported deaths around here in recent years. I seen a fellow loading his ATV in an un-safe manner and I just thought I would post a safety note.
The un-safe technique I am speaking of is not having the ramps chained, pinned or cabled to the trailer or truck.
This is what happens.
One death was on a Polaris and the other on a full time 4x4 Bayou. Rather it being a 2x4 or 4x4, it does not matter.
Once the front wheels are into the loading area and off the ramps the rear wheels pull the ramps off the loading surface laying them on the ground, and the back of the ATV falls to the ground causing the ATV to flip over on the rider. This happens fast enough for the rider not to be able to react.

Many serious injuries have been reported and loads more probably not reported.
Lock you ramps to you loading vehicle.

this is a great safety topic

I learned how to load a tractor in a truck at an early age (the hard way) (i still have a Craftsman imprint on my face)

I have seen many accidents when loading quads

strap your ramps,,,,and pay attention to the dangers when loading your bike

Old 02-07-2004, 07:04 AM
Pro Rider

if you do fall and ur lucky enough to have noting serious happen you wont escape a bent tailgate either. i learened to strap them on when i bent the tail gate of my brand new truck. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img]

Old 02-07-2004, 09:46 AM
Pro Rider

One of my riding buddies was in his mid-30s, but not very experienced as a rider. He was loading a 250x into the back of his truck and hit the gas too hard, which sent the front end straight into the air. He was very lucky it did not come back onto him. He hit the front of the bed without doing any damage to himself or the truck, but it was scary to watch it happen. It was ignorant, not intentional.

Old 02-07-2004, 01:44 PM
Trailblazer

Jeez after reading all these posts I think its time to ditch the 2 x 12's and buy some real ramps and strap them down. Great info guys!!!!!!!

Quick Reply: ATV Loading Ramp Safety