Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

4wd disengauges when under load 0n p360

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2004, 02:46 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4wd disengauges when under load 0n p360

My 4wd had disengauged while in the mud up to the axles on two occasions. As soon as I let up on the throttle it re-engauges and began to pull again until the stress was too much then it would disengauge again. anyone know what causes this and how to fix it.

Old 02-14-2004, 04:53 PM
Pro Rider

Thats very interesting. I've never heard of this happening but am very interested in what everyone has to say about this.
The mechanism for 4wd is electric, isn't it? Is it possible the mud is catching a wire or when the engine is turning very fast that the voltage changes and kicks it out?
If the 360 has thwe same set up as the 650 and 700, then we will need to know since we are planning to get a couple 700s.

Old 02-14-2004, 09:53 PM
Trailblazer

I mentioned it to the guys at the dealership and they told me an adjustment was probably in order but they were unable to tell me how it worked.

Old 02-15-2004, 05:04 PM
Pro Rider

I'm guessing:
First is the 4wd is in four and u hear noises so you think it's popping out of 4 when it's the diffi lock you hear. To check this watch your 4x4 indicator on your panel. The Kawi uses a electic motor to engage a machanical 4wd system so it's probably not an electical problem here unless there is dirt under the switch. I'm wishfully thinking your diffi lock has to be adjusted or your gear shifter needs adjustment as well. When you are spinning and you are in 4 it can not dissengage over 20 km, which you would be over in a stuck hole. Things that help here are things like were you in low range? You could have a machanical problem with your front end if you got water/dirt in there. I would switch the diffi fuild and look at what comes out. If you were not in 4wd before you got stuck that could have been your problem and you would here slippage until it ingages but once it's in it's in. If you are not fimilar with this system them I would recomend switching to 4wd before you need it and if you get stuck, switch to 4wd and back up slowly until it ingauges properly. Other than this what ever you got it is uncomman. The front end on the kawi is extreamly good and reliable. Nyroc probably could advise you on how to check your diffi lock adjustment and gear shifter.

Old 02-16-2004, 01:09 PM
Trailblazer

I was on my 400 Outlander and my brother was riding the 360. It was in low range 4wd when he got stuck on the mud on the side of a lake. I watched the whole thing. He began to get stuck and was attempting to power out but his momentum stopped and it would go no further. The wheels were still spinning when all of the sudden the front tires quit spinning and the back tires continued to spin. He let off on the throttle and the front end reengauged and begin to spin along with the back. He put more power to it and the front stopped. I hooked onto him with me winch and pulled him out. It has not happened since but I don't want to be in the middle of some huge hill and have it pop out again.

Thanks for any input

Old 02-16-2004, 02:02 PM
Pro Rider

Did you see both front tires at once? Did he have the diffi lock pulled?

Old 02-16-2004, 06:50 PM
Trailblazer

Yeah he did have the differential lock engauged and I was looking directly at the front of the machine at the time. It made kind of a popping noise and disengauged. Sounding like a tranny popping out of gear but not that loud. Made the same noise when it reengauged.

Old 02-16-2004, 07:54 PM
Pro Rider

Centerpunch,

My prairie 650 is in the shop right now for a similar problem and they are having a hard time figuring out what it is. I'll let you know.

On an interesting side note:

I am considering buying an Outlander 400 right now for the times when I want a softer ride. I drove one at a little track at the dealership on Saturday and it was hard to tell the difference since my prairie 650 wasn't there for a back to back comparison. I'm guessing that your 360 rides very similar to my 650.

Would you please give a detailed description of the ride difference between the Outlander 400 and your Prairie over different types of terrain?

Thanks.

Old 02-16-2004, 10:27 PM
Trailblazer

Jeff

The Kawasaki has a fairly stiff ride compared to the Outlander. The 360 is easier to steer than the 400 because of the viscolock front end. the IRS on the 400 is much smoother on rocky serfaces (I ride in the desert alot and there are lots of rocks protruding from the ground in the roads) The 400 turns awesome as well as the 360. Hill climbing is better on the 400 because it seems to keep the wheels on the ground better, it has more power, and you don't have to pull the locking differential lever. I have had it to the dunes on several occasions and it flys well and lands very smoothly. It has a 51% rear and 49% front weight distribution which makes it handle very well. I have done some very slow rock crawling with both machines and the 360 is a rougher ride. On flat out speed the 400 is very stable and it was a dead heat when I raced a polaris 500 on grass flats.

I like both machines very much but if I was going to buy one or the other it would by the Outlander. My 16 year old daughter likes the 360 better because it is easier to steer and the power doesn't overwhelm her.

The other thing I like about the 400 is I have never had a belt squeel or had to adjust anything in 575 miles. I have adjusted the belt on my 360 twice in 900 miles.

Good luck on your decision, I hope this helps. If you have any more questions let me know.

Old 02-16-2004, 11:10 PM
Pro Rider

Centerpunch,
Thanks for the reply. It was very helpful. The other question I had was concerning the engine vibration. I made another post about it two days ago and only got one response. Here is the post I made:

A dealer let me ride a 330 outlander at the little track they have. That little 330 moved pretty good. There was a HUGE amount of vibration at the footpegs. This is really bothersome to me and will prevent me from considering buying the machine if the 400 is this way too. They will get a 400 this week and they will prep it and let me know if it vibrates.

Do you guys get a lot of vibration?

Thanks for the help centerpunch.

Quick Reply: 4wd disengauges when under load 0n p360