Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Prarie 700 tires,hmmm vamps,mudzillas or mudlights??

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2004, 05:10 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Prarie 700 tires,hmmm vamps,mudzillas or mudlights??

I went to the dealer today looking for bigger tires.They said I need a lift kit to get 27 or 28 tires in mud zillas or vamps.He kind of said he would go with the mudlights in 26x12 rear and 26x10 front for $300 installed.I realy want it to look higher and more awsome as I dont want to buy and be dissapointed by not forking over a little more money and getting that awsome cool higher look of the others.Anyone out there have anything to say about this decision please let me know.Because the other way with lift kit and the vamps would probably be around $600.Or does anyone know of a huge tire that looks awsome without modifying the springs with the lift kit?....Thanks ahead of time for any help with this!!!!

Old 02-16-2004, 05:50 PM
Pro Rider

Be careful listening to what the dealer says. Dealers should be required to read this forum to be better informed.

I used 28" mudzillas on my 650 for a long time, no lift kit required. They ruled in the mud, but are too heavy for fun outside the mudpit. I live in your state and have ridden all over it. Do not get Vamps. The EDL vamp is the worst tire outside the mudpit. This state has mud, but it isn't even close to being the muddy state that southern states are. Some 27" mudrunners might be a good compromise (better in mud than most, not too bad on dry), or the mudlites. Mudzillas actually aren't bad on dirt, but they are heavy enough to slow you down. They stink in snow.

I had 8" wide ones on the front and 10" wide ones on the back (they are really 9" wide and 11" wide). They on ITP wheels and had slight rubbing on the outer corner of the headlight. It wasn't enough to worry about, since it was only when bottoming the shocks.

I switched to douglas wheels to reduce my width and make the steering easier, and the tire rubbing also went away.

I since switched to progressive springs in front and the bottoming is gone.

Most people do not like the lift kit.

If you get 27" or 28" tires, get a second set of wheels. Keep 25" or 26" tires on the other set of wheels for the dry season.

Old 02-16-2004, 06:31 PM
Pro Rider

ya... what NYROC said... Maxxis makes some of the best "looking tires out there, & the Big Horns & Mudzilla's are 2 of the most awesome looking tires... if looks are most of what you are concerned with, IMO, these 2 tires top all others... it is rumored that the Big Horns will be coming in a bigger size this year... 27" ??? these will be an awesome looking tire, the 25" already perform really well as an all around tire, but command that "what the he!! are those" attention, even when compared to much larger tires...

My expirience with the Mudzilla's is that they seem to ride smoother, the wider they are ( but the rough ride, may mean they perform better in the mud )... my 28" X 8" set, that I run front & rear, ride horribly rough, I'm undefeated in the mud pits with them, but they only go on for mud racing... the 10" & 12" wide tires seam to ride smoother, but IMO, don't perform as well in the pit, where speed / time is concerned... however the wider ones look even knarlyer than the narrower ones... if you are going to run a tire like the Outlaws, or Mudzillas, in 27" - 28" X 12", in the rears, you may need a 1" spacer, or run a wheel like the ITP C series, as the sidelugs contact the gas tank shroud...

Old 02-16-2004, 06:31 PM
Weekend Warrior

Yea I read that you dont realy need the mudzillas or vamps unless you make mud bogging your hobbie,wich isnt me, the cleaner I stay the better.They also said they are real heavy to push and the mudlights were lighter.Do you think mudlights would work in 27x12 rear and 27x10 front,and wouldnt have no probs with anything.I scene that size mudlights on a 500 cc showroom model with a lift kit and they didnt make the bike look any bigger or much taller.I just want that awsome big wheel look as the stock tires on my 700 look very lacking in this categorie with only about an inch tread.I think im looking for the huge tread size as the Zillas but in more less mud aggressive pattern.

Old 02-16-2004, 06:41 PM
Pro Rider

find a picture of the Maxxis Big Horns, this is what you want...

those Mudlites will go on, no problem, if that what you decide you want...

Old 02-16-2004, 07:12 PM
Weekend Warrior

Hi beatle,I went to the maxxi sight and looked at the bighorns.They look awsome but it only said they have them in the 25 size.I think I might just get the 27x12 rear 27x10 front mudlights if they wont need the lift kit.You mention spacers,they must just sit on the other side of the rim to bring them out more?They had the 25 mudlights in stock not the others.So I will order the 27,s tomorrow if you see no problem with them over the 26 inchers...Thanks for your help guys much appreciated.The dealership im near are Hogs with prices.I was in there and theres a guy applying for a brand new 2004 grizzly,they dont carrie the praries there.The sticker price was like $7700 on it.I told him you could get a prarie 700 like mine for $6398 sticker and $7000 out the door less than an hour away.He didnt say much after that,but did ask where that dealer was.Not sure what upgrades on that grizz had but I would never pay that much,he said he didnt ask what incentives there was either.I got the plow for $69 when I got mine,theres deffinately alot of people that should come here before buying anything ATV.........

Old 02-16-2004, 07:44 PM
Pro Rider

there are alot of guy's running that size Lites, & most love em... have fun...

Old 02-16-2004, 11:52 PM
Range Rover

pic 1

pic2

pic3

Thatprairie700dude, here are some mudlite pics on my 650. I love them and I think they look great also.

Old 02-17-2004, 12:30 AM
Weekend Warrior

Awsome pics mean green,what size mudlights were they?Also did you feel you lost power with adding the weight from the stock tires?I like the big aggressive tires but I see they weigh about 30 pounds a peice.The dealer said its a 700 so it might not be much of a problem with that kind of power.But as you know theres never enough power or speed.He said that a guy put them on his rubicon and lost about 4 MPH after....My atv is totaly stock and maxxes out about 63 MPH right now and losing 4 MPH would be kind of significant....

Old 02-17-2004, 09:14 AM
Range Rover

27's as in my signature. Yes I did lose a little top end but you can't go by the speedo because with bigger tires its like a truck it can't read it accurately. I think you may lose a few mph but nothing really significant. The reason I like them so much is simple, they look awesome, ride smooth, mud great, and are one of the lightest oversized tires on market.

Hope you like them.

PS: 27x10 front, 27x12 rear. No lift kit, no need for one as you can see you could fit 28's with no problem.

Quick Reply: Prarie 700 tires,hmmm vamps,mudzillas or mudlights??