Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

V climbling hill = white smoke

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2004, 12:59 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default V climbling hill = white smoke

Is your oil overfull

Old 02-17-2004, 01:03 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

If you look in your airbox you will most likely see OIL. the crank case vent tube goes into the air box. Sometimes if you wheelie the V-force just right it will some how form a vacuum and suck some oil out of the crank case(my thoery). This will cause A LOT of white smoke to be displayed(kind of embarrassing isnt it)[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Anyway, make sure that you didnt over fill your engine on our last oil change. I have done this twice.

Bigger.

Old 02-17-2004, 02:32 PM
Range Rover

Originally posted by: biggerisbetter
If you look in your airbox you will most likely see OIL. the crank case vent tube goes into the air box. Sometimes if you wheelie the V-force just right it will some how form a vacuum and suck some oil out of the crank case(my thoery). This will cause A LOT of white smoke to be displayed(kind of embarrassing isnt it)[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Anyway, make sure that you didnt over fill your engine on our last oil change. I have done this twice.

Bigger.
I'll have to check that out. Sounds like a legit theory to me. Although I kind of like my James Bond smoke screen once in a while. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 02-17-2004, 11:43 PM
Pro Rider

YOU JUST SEATED YOUR RINGS! When I got my V, I slowly (yea slowly he he) broke it in on mountain trails. Went through a few tanks of gas, changed oil. Now off to glamis, I love my V at glamis, but my first trip, we made our way to hill 6 (big hill) and flew up and down and up and down, etc. (all without paddles). After the 5th or so long full throttle run i felt it sputter some and my riding buddies were waving me over and said I was blowing white smoke all over! I felt like cra....well you know. I let it rest and we slowly (me slowly) rode back to camp. It did smoke a bit when we left and I smelled it, and it was an oil smell. but it ran fine the rest of the weekend, When I got back I went to my dealer and he said I must have seated the rings and it should not happen again. I have been back to Glamis a few times since and NO PROBLEMS[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]!

Old 02-18-2004, 05:01 AM
Range Rover

Yes, it has happened to me three times. In each case, engine was working hard climbing hills with full throttle. Once the engine started crapping out and died. The other times it crapped out a bit but kept on going. I was also on Banshee Hill @ Winchester one of the times when it happened. Service dept at the local dealership said they had never heard of such a thing. I too would like to know whats happening.

-700quadman

Old 02-18-2004, 06:53 AM
Pro Rider

happywith v, mine to did like yours, i asked the dealer what it was and they had no idea, thanks for the info, that now answers my concerns.

Old 02-18-2004, 01:09 PM
Trailblazer

I had this happen while riding long wheelies

I remember someone suggesting a crossover from the crank case to the air box might have leaked over a bit of oil (looks like Biggerisbetter said the same thing).
I'd say if the smoke dicipates quikly...and does not persistently happen...then don't worry.
I suspect my oil was slightly overfull from the dealer....b/c it has not happened for quite awhile now.

Old 02-18-2004, 01:31 PM
Pro Rider

I'm betting its oil overfill, it happens to alot of people and they freak out. I have read this on the forums in the past and I am careful on how much oil I add. Do not dismiss this either, check your oil. If its over at all, drain some out. You want to be just under the full mark, never above it.

Old 02-18-2004, 10:18 PM
Pro Rider

Well, I keep my oil level right in the middle of low and full. I have been back to Glamis 3 more times and flew up and down the big hills again and again and it has never smoked for me again.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 02-20-2004, 01:37 PM
Range Rover

Checked my air box and it had a decent amount of oil in it. Must have come out of the crank case breather tube that runs up right next to the carb. My oil level looks fine.

Quick Reply: V climbling hill = white smoke