Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Prairie 700 rear brake freezing up

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2004 | 01:23 PM
|
Pro Rider
Default Prairie 700 rear brake freezing up

My rear brake keeps freezing up. I thaw it out with some heat, store it in the shed and by the next time to ride it if frozen again. Where is water getting in at?

Old 02-17-2004 | 01:39 PM
Pro Rider

Something doesn't sound righ. The fluid in the rear break assembly should be a lube type oil, which should have a freezing point of below zero. If any water has entered the assembly, it should not freeze the entire mixture unless all of the oil has been displaced with just the water remaining. Then it would freeze when it is below 32 degrees F. I would drain some of the fluid out and see if it is milky in appearance. If it is, then you know you have water in it. If not, then something else is wrong. I would then go to the dealer and explain what is going on. I have never had any problems with my P700, allthough I have only rode it twice when the temperature was below 32 degrees F. It doesn't freeze that much down here in Baytown, Texas except about 4 times a year and usually there is rain or sleet mixed in. Just my thoughts........Good luck finding the problem.

Old 02-17-2004 | 01:46 PM
Pro Rider

This has happened to Rob's 360 too. Sometimes we'll get to the camp and the brake will be froze and its still in the truck. Sometimes there is just a little muck around the linkage. Once it warms up it all works fine. Sometimes its froze up in the AM when we go to head out and we will have to ride a while before the oil heats up and works.
Why is this?

Old 02-17-2004 | 02:32 PM
Range Rover

Most likely not the brake freezing but the cable itself
I store my unit inside.....but I gotta keep working the brake cable
when I first take it out in cold weather to keep it from sticking
very easy to get moisture in the cable

Old 02-17-2004 | 03:15 PM
Pro Rider

I know what he is experiencing and it is NOT the brake cable. I've seen this topic a few times now and everyone says its the cable. Mine does the same thing and I can go underneath and move the cable by hand very freely. The actual lever going into the swing arm is freezing up. Is it possible to put some grease around where the lever enters the swing arm?

Old 02-17-2004 | 03:52 PM
Trailblazer

Same problem with my V-Force. If I set the parking brake when its cold it'll be stuck on until I ride it a little and warm up the fluid. The cable moves freely though.

Old 02-17-2004 | 04:14 PM
Pro Rider

My P-700 hasn't done this ,yet. I imagine that mud/slush is freezing on top of the diff. housing, where the two arms for the brake cables are. Try digging the stuff out from around them. Good Luck!

Old 02-17-2004 | 05:41 PM
Pro Rider

I ride Pennsylvania all the time and with the weather you all have had up there its just your brake cables freezing up. I found that also the top of the rear brake housing was freezin on mine, After cleaning your quad make sure your quad is super DRY, and a little spray lube will help chase away any water were needed. Also pass on using the Emergency brake. Brakes can freeze close easliy also.. ~cc

www.MarylandATV.com

Prairie 700
V-FORCE
250R
And a bunch of other Toyz

Old 02-17-2004 | 07:47 PM
Pro Rider

I DON"T GET IT? I'm a prime suspect.... none of this on mine. I have mine cover in slush, water and ice left on the back of my truck to turn into an ice cube with the parking brake set.... No problems period. I only use my brake lever to set the brake in my truck only so it doesn't get used to often. I had my front tires freeze; my gear shifter packed with so much ice that you couldn't even shift, etc.. but never a problem with the rear brakes. I never use a pressure washer and never need heat to thaw anything in the rear end.

Old 02-17-2004 | 08:04 PM
Pro Rider

Kawi650, Thats the great thing about these forums, You don't have some of the problems others have and vice versa. But we can post thes and someone will have had the same problem.

I know our problem is usually the linkage hanging up. Sometimes we have to scrape er out. I think the way it sit under the quad it is prone to buildup.

We ride all the time no matter the temps. We rode super bowl night to a barn to watch the game, it was about 6 degrees on the way home. We have heated grips and Moose mitts to keep our hands warm, and its hard to beat fleece and Carharts. Heck, sometimes we put ice in the cooler to insulate our beer so it doesn't freeze! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: Prairie 700 rear brake freezing up