Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Finally topped out the Prairie!

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2004, 07:00 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Finally topped out the Prairie!

Everything I have read says average reaction time is .5 a proffessional racer or really experienced and on the ball rider might react in .2 seconds. We can prove that in most traffic accidents reaction time is closer to .7 seconds from time the see problem till braking or swerving. Just posting to remind people to be careful at nearly 70mph on a quad a lot of distance gets covered even before your able to react to what see. So if you react to the unexpected at the same rate as most people do in traffic you will cover just over 70 feet. Before the brakes can even start scrubbing off some of your speed. When I teach emergency vehicle driving I demostrate this to students it is very eye opening for them to see the difference in stopping distances between 50mph and 100mph. And seeing how much ground they cover from the time they are told to stop until the brakes begin working. I don't know what stopping distances are for a quad on hard pack at 60mph but I bet they are over 70 feet plus reaction distance. I will have to test when it warms up. Just a word of caution you should get a feel for these things before you start riding down trails at 60 mph. Last fall I came around a corner on a trail doing close to 50mph, big moose in trail (read pucker seat cover). Got stopped about 25 ft from upset moose (read more puckered seat cover) fortunately moose suffering from pucker sindrom decided to run and not fight. 1600lbs mad moose verse 600lbs of quad equals $$$ repair bill assuming you were able to stay out of hoofs way. If not you will be grateful for helmet and any other protective gear. Just something to think about. Ride fast, ride smart, and pray for luck!

Old 02-19-2004, 01:01 AM
Pro Rider

Back in the dawning mists of time in my high school Driver's Ed class, I remember the best time in that class of 17 year olds was 0.3 sec. I remember it so well because it was a girl who had that time. I had up until that day that they were only good for looking at.

Old 02-19-2004, 07:35 PM
Range Rover

Originally posted by: Customfabandweld
After doing the camshaft redegree(Thanks Steve!), and the dial a jet, I got on a stretch of pavement yesterday, and did 69 MPH, with a slight tailwind, and 65 with a slight headwind. With the redgreeing of the cam, I lost a little off of the low end, but the midrange and top end are awesome. The midrange throttle response is RIGHT NOW! I was doing 55 on a slightly curved dirt road, punched it, and went into a powerslide! Man, I love this thing, and I can't wait to put the timing key, and My Supertrapp on! I can't imagine what the power would be like with CDI, aftermarket cams, or a big bore kit[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]

Glad to hear it turned out well for you. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] Be safe!

Steve