Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Turning that "old" 650 Prairie into a ripper...

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2004, 02:25 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Turning that "old" 650 Prairie into a ripper...

Newbeatle,
Great post!

Just thought it might be worth mentioning that the flywheel key mod may actually cost a bit more than just the $15 pricetag for the key ASSUMING you don't already happen to have access to a service manual (for the procedure and torque specs) and the right kind of wheel puller. You may also need new gaskets (if originals tear during the procedure) plus there's the cost to replace the engine coolant and oil (assuming its not already time to do those replacements). If my calculations are correct, the total cost here could be as high as $165 or so for the flywheel key mod. Even at $165, that is not a bad price for the performance gains some folks have reported. I only raise this point b/c if you start from a totally stock P650/P700, it might be cheaper or about the same cost to simply buy the new Dyna CDI instead of a holeshot module plus flywheel key (assuming you need a service manual, wheel puller, etc.). Just a thought...

Happy trails...[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 02-18-2004, 02:37 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great reply--any reason why enterprising people like ourselves cant modify a standard gear puller to pull the flywheel

Old 02-18-2004, 02:44 PM
Trailblazer

Just a quick note. The intake snorkel can be replaced without removing the airbox.

Old 02-18-2004, 03:00 PM
Trailblazer

Anyone know how retarding the cams would compare to Pendland of Web cams? I have a set of cams I could put in my P700, but it would compare twice the amount of work since I would have to take them out of my P650.

Old 02-18-2004, 05:52 PM
Range Rover

What all is involved in retarding the cam timing by 10*? Thanks, Seth

Old 02-18-2004, 06:07 PM
Pro Rider

I haven't done it, as I already have ( non - advanced ) aftermarket cams... but here is a thread on it, with a few people who have done it ( REDS650, & N2XLR8N )...

http://forums.atvconnection.com/mess...1=Cam%20Timing

Old 02-19-2004, 01:51 AM
Pro Rider

I did it, and I really like the power. I lost a little on the bottom but mid and top power rocks!

Old 02-19-2004, 02:59 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: MikeyBoyesq
Newbeatle,
Great post!

Just thought it might be worth mentioning that the flywheel key mod may actually cost a bit more than just the $15 pricetag for the key ASSUMING you don't already happen to have access to a service manual (for the procedure and torque specs) and the right kind of wheel puller. You may also need new gaskets (if originals tear during the procedure) plus there's the cost to replace the engine coolant and oil (assuming its not already time to do those replacements). If my calculations are correct, the total cost here could be as high as $165 or so for the flywheel key mod. Even at $165, that is not a bad price for the performance gains some folks have reported. I only raise this point b/c if you start from a totally stock P650/P700, it might be cheaper or about the same cost to simply buy the new Dyna CDI instead of a holeshot module plus flywheel key (assuming you need a service manual, wheel puller, etc.). Just a thought...

Happy trails...[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

If I'm reading this thread right, the new Dyna CDI plug-in and 'retard cam timing by 10*' would make a ripper out of a stock 650? Jetted for altitude change performance results in newbeatle post? Is the cam timing difficult for a very quasi-mechanic? Would the service manual show how to do it? (Maybe I could write a manual on questions.) I would like to have a ripper, but not sure I can do it.
[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

Old 02-19-2004, 08:42 AM
Pro Rider

You can talk to the guy's that have done it, but even the best of them have nearly balked on it because it is not easy... I found it much easier to buy aftermarket cams... a set of stock V Force cams will drop right in, & may be the easiest to to... the actual cost of timing the original cams is pretty low, if you have more time than money, & don't mind the challenge...

Old 02-19-2004, 09:36 PM
Pro Rider

Retarding the cams costs exactly nothing! All you have to do is follow the directions in the manual for inspecting the cams. You don't even have to take them out of the head, just remove the cam chain tensioner, and rotate the cams backwards 1 tooth, so that the timing marks are above the head surface at the front of the head. I found it to be simple, but it took some time. I'm guessing around 3 hours, if you take your front plastic off. After I did this, I raced a stock '04 V-force, on pavement, and he only beat me by 3-4 bike lengths by the time we were going 65 MPH, by that time we were pretty much topped out. I got the holeshot on him, and he started to pass me at around 50 feet, although very slowly! I still have the stock aircleaner, and muffler, also. I am very happy with the results[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: Turning that "old" 650 Prairie into a ripper...