Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

KXF250 Blues (Greens?)

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2000 | 10:11 AM
|
Trailblazer

HELLPP!!
Do any of the loyal following of Tecate-4 owners/fans have or know of any spare motors or transmission parts for the '87-'88 bikes? I thought I would restore my '87, and wouldn't you know, sometime before I purchased the bike, it had a waterpump leak and a grenaded piston which both helped contribute to an engine in such bad shape that it will cost almost as much to rebuild as a small-block Chevy. The piece I am most desperate to find is a good clutch basket/hub assembly. If any one of you Green freaks out there can help out a fellow green freak by steering me in the direction of parts or a complete motor, it would be greatly appreciated. You can contact me directly at brianc@artmorrison.com. Thanks!!

Old 07-06-2000 | 07:10 PM
Pro Rider

I have seen a few KXT-250 Tecates (The three) in the cycle trader being parted out or coming fairly reasonable. That might be the best source for a motor in an '86 or '87 that wouldn't require too much custom fabrication on your part to put in your 4. A Tecate 4 with +2 Roll Design A-arms, swingarm and maybe works front shocks is a tough opponent for any 250R. (I know that's a lot of money to compete with a 250R so don't bother jumping on that) The motor in my opinion is better. Besides-its green.

Old 07-07-2000 | 10:07 AM
|
Trailblazer

Thanks for the tip, Arizona. I guess it's a good thing I already bought the Tecate with extended swingarm and Roll Design +2 A-arms!? I just hate to have the other one sitting around collecting dust. Tecates were made to be ridden (even though they're pretty to look at, too), and the only thing better than a good running Tecate is TWO good running Tecates! I will be looking to the Trader to see if I can find a suitable donor bike. Keep 'er pinned!

Old 07-07-2000 | 12:07 PM
Pro Rider

The best thing to do is search the motorcycle section, select national for the region and search under the keyword Tecate and you should have some hits. Good luck and stay green!

Old 07-07-2000 | 12:08 PM
Pro Rider

Brian Did you buy the '88 recently on E-bay?

Old 07-07-2000 | 02:37 PM
|
Trailblazer

Sorry about the delay in answering. ATV Connection appeared to be down for a while. In answer to your question, yes I did, and it's every bit as nice as he claimed it was. Sorry to all you guys out there who were intending to go look at it, I would have been disappointed myself if I'd missed out on this one. The only thing wrong(?) with it is, I hate to take it out and get it dirty! It's too damn pretty!

Old 07-07-2000 | 08:25 PM
Pro Rider

I had some serious discussion with the owner right before you bought it but I'm getting married in two weeks and decided not to start our life together by rocking the boat. She's understanding and all but if I was out riding the entire week for the wedding I might have invoked her wrath. I just wanted to ask if it runs as good as it looks. Congratulations on your purchase! Take good care of her!

Old 07-11-2000 | 11:30 AM
|
Trailblazer

It does run good! With the pipe it's got, it has a midrange hit that's like lighting off a bomb. I do wish it had a little more bottom end, but that was kinda typical Kawasaki back then. It handles like a dream. It's much smoother and less prone to wander and bump-steer than a 250r. All in all, I'm very pleased with it.

Good luck and best wishes with your new bride!

Old 07-11-2000 | 08:52 PM
Pro Rider

I talked to Roll Design and they don't have any A-Arms for the T-4. The best you could do is have them build you a trick one off rolling chassis based on 250R componets. But, your talking big bucks.

Old 07-11-2000 | 08:54 PM
Pro Rider

How did you get the Roll Design A-Arms I was told they don't make them.

Quick Reply: KXF250 Blues (Greens?)