Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Dial-A-Jet tuning

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2004, 09:20 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dial-A-Jet tuning

I’m confused about my Dial-a-Jets. I just got a new exhaust system and DG snorkel. I had the d-a-j before the mod running stock jets with Nyroc exhaust mod. When I adjusted the d-a-j settings I got results. Too rich too lean the motor acted accordingly. Now that I have the added intake and exhaust( Suppertrapp should be better than Nyroc mod) I now have no action when I dial in. Still have stock jets but every setting has same results. I have no apparent lose in power but how do I know it’s working. Called Lonn and he said it’s working, but the book reads if there is no change on all settings jet down. I ‘m running stock jets now. I know someone is going to say check the plugs, there just a pain to get too. Anyone running d-a-j when you change the settings do you see a change in the motor. I already know the answer. Why is Lonn telling me “it’s working” How can I tell?

DG Holeshot
DG Snorkel
K&N Filter
Dial-A-Jet
Supertrapp IDSX exhaust
Primary Dalton Plain\white spring
Secondary EPI black spring
P-700 Belt
ITP 589's on C's
Warn 2500 winch
Headlight mod
Rear backup light

Old 02-19-2004, 10:14 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First of all, I assume that you are actually driving your quad to see if it makes a difference when you change the dial. The DAJ should make no difference if you simply put the quad up on a stand and rev the motor...it should only make a difference under load (i.e., fast acceleration while actually driving the quad on the ground).

I now have the DAJ, but have not had a chance to install it yet. You are right about the instructions saying that if you see no difference when you adjust the dial to all different settings and you see no change in performance, then you need to change out the main jets to a different size. My best advice is to read the plugs and then go up or down 1 size in the main jets...then re-adjust the DAJs to see if that makes a difference.

Good luck and happy trails...[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 02-19-2004, 10:27 PM
Trailblazer

Hey Mickey, I’m one of those lucky few who has over a hundred miles of dirt road and trails 2 miles from the house and can ride year round. Rode 60 miles wed. testing out the new pipe and snorkel. I too believe I need a jet change. Problem is that they are stock now with all that air flow I shouldn’t have to change from stock using the DAJ. Think it’s possible that the stock jets are enough fuel to keep the DAJ from working. I can’t believe all I have read that those things are enough with the mods I have under the hood. I’ll score some more jets and see. Didn’t think I would be jetting even smaller.

DG Holeshot
DG Snorkel
K&N Filter
Dial-A-Jet
Supertrapp IDSX exhaust
P-700 Belt
ITP 589's on C's
Warn 2500 winch
Headlight mod
Rear backup light

Old 02-19-2004, 10:37 PM
Pro Rider

What is your elevation? If its high, I can imagine that you may need to go 1 size larger on the main jets...of course, that would mean you only have to buy 1 jet, install it in the front and then move the front jet to the rear (or did I get that backwards?).

Lonn told me that 90% of the time, the stock jets are ok for the DAJs to work property if you only an aftermarket pipe, bigger snorkel and hi-flo air filter. However, higher elevation or other changes may mean that you are in the 10% that needs to rejet.

Let us know how it works out for you.
Happy trails...[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 02-19-2004, 11:20 PM
Trailblazer

I’m 30 miles from the ocean. Maybe 50ft. They do call it the low country. I was thinking the way the DAJ works if I’m jetted right or rich the DAJ won’t work. It said in the book it only works in a lean condition. Won’t give fuel to something that already has enough. The only thing it could be is to drop a jet. To lean it out so the DAJ fills in the lean spot. Correct me if I’m wrong but from what I have read here and on the web it wont work if the jets are taking care of the motors needs. The more I think of this the more I think that my other exhaust mod was much more flowing than the Suppertrapp. I don’t think the bike is as snappy as it was before. Don’t get me wrong it’s strong, but the throttle response may not be what it was. It pulled hard in the mid range as well. I think I’m going to drop down a jet and see if it is what I’m thinking. In order for me to check the plugs I need to disconnect the DAJ and see if the motor is lean. With it connected and possible working I won’t know if it’s the DAJ or the main jets.

DG Holeshot
DG Snorkel
K&N Filter
Dial-A-Jet
Supertrapp IDSX exhaust
P-700 Belt
ITP 589's on C's
Warn 2500 winch
Headlight mod
Rear backup light

Old 02-20-2004, 09:27 PM
Pro Rider

Sound like with the supertrapp you are to rich and the d-a-J's don't have room to work.

Try giveing it more air by cracking the top of the airbox cover before rejetting.

Old 02-20-2004, 11:34 PM
Trailblazer

Good point, didn't think about doing that.

Old 02-20-2004, 11:45 PM
Pro Rider

Hi,
I'm another person with no apparent improvement with Dial a Jet on my Vinson. I've had to mount it between the air box and carb as close to the carb as possible, as recommended.

Like others, it doesn't matter what setting I put it on, no change. I have a DynoJet kit in my bike too and have used the smallest jet in the kit, with the needle e-clip on groove 1, drilled 6 1" holes in the air box lid and put Unifilters in the holes to lean it up even more.

What is more confusing, when I remove the airbox snorkel, the bike won't run well at all, it stumbles if I try to open the throttle. I thought this would help by making the bike run even leaner.

I've hesitated putting Dial a Jets on my V-Force until I can figure out what's going on with my Vinson.

I'm open for suggestions.

Mark

Old 02-21-2004, 05:27 AM
Pro Rider

davinator,

check your snorkel lines. make sure they are not pinched off or pluged. also check the foam filers they may needed cleaned.

hope you get it lined out. i'm gonna try to get mine installed this sunday.

later
cart

Old 02-21-2004, 12:54 PM
Pro Rider

Cartman,
Sayyyyy, I am also planning to install my DAJ on Sunday...what a coincidence? Are you planning to drill a hole into the rubber venturi stacks using a bit #21 (whatever that means) or just poke a hole into it by hand? Also, the instructions were a little confusing to me...does it really matter if you install the DAJ body against the venturi stacks at the 9 o'clock to 3 o'clock position for our quads since we have downdraft carbs? I'm guessing it does not matter about the 9 to 3 o'clock position...but I haven't asked Lonn about it or anything.

One other question for you Cartman, where are you going to mount the snorkels? Up to the handlebars or near the original air box snorkel? I am thinking about the near air box snorkel so that I can easily pop the cover off and clean the little filters on the DAJ snorkels. What are going to do?

Happy trails...[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: Dial-A-Jet tuning