Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Are Duals really worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2004, 12:16 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Are Duals really worth it?

Make no mistake, the Aliens make HP at all RPM's. I went from getting completely embarrased by my brother's Banshee to being able to outrun him by a couple quadlengths with the Aliens, proper jetting and a Polaris primary srping.
He now has a V-Force with a very similar setup to mine, the main difference being he has our homemade dual setup compared to my duals and I was putting 4 quadlengths on him easily even before I added the Dalton parts.

If you want to see why people probably don't think duals work, look at the new ATV Action. They take a V-Force and add a set of Pro Circuit duals, leave the STOCK spring in and then complain about how it doesn't climb a hill very fast. They also say even with the duals the V shouldn't be looking to take on even a stock DS. Well no kidding, the stock spring kills the performance even with the stock exhaust, much less with a set of duals. I'm tempted to send them a couple of springs to put in their V so they can see what it is actually capable of, magazines have never understood anything about an auto.

A tuned 2-into-1 setup with equal-length pipes should make more power than the duals, but it'll never have the coolness effect of the duals. Every time we meet up with another group of riders, the first thing they do is start asking questions about the duals.

Old 02-21-2004, 02:00 PM
Range Rover

You guys are all correct! A properly tuned, jetted and springed dual pipe V will produce more HP, however TRX and GE I race hare scrambles here in District 6 and know for a fact since I race against other V's in my Auto Sport class that I have many times beat dual piped V's, mainly because of my Elka's and my Dalton spring. The fact is i am still waiting for someone to come out with a true dual equal length pipe, though Muzzy has a nice two into one equal length, I agree with Kevin that the dual just is much cooler. I have raced against HMF, Alien, and yosh's and with my stock pipe have gotten the holeshot and 1 1/2 hrs. later I cross the line first as well, not always but many. The duals out so far do not impress me thus far, I believe the Dalton kit, the upcoming CDI, and of course the FST800 kit are where the true power will come from. Mickey Dunlap has expressed to me that they will be working on a true dual equal length pipe in the future, just don't know if I can wait!!

Old 02-21-2004, 02:08 PM
Pro Rider

I put duals on my predator and not only do they look good but they perform good also--- much better than a slipon unit... had to re-jet and do lots of modding but good end result

Old 02-21-2004, 06:58 PM
Pro Rider

TRX500,
Thanks for pointing me to that spring info. Very informative and useful stuff.
Thanks,
Mark

Old 02-21-2004, 08:14 PM
Pro Rider

Muzzy makes a equal length 2 into 1 system that someone is running on the other forum. He said he was very impressed with their product, good power from bottom to top. I belive that their pipe is 449.00. Just some food for thought.

Old 02-21-2004, 08:23 PM
Range Rover

Originally posted by: markdf
TRX500,
Thanks for pointing me to that spring info. Very informative and useful stuff.
Thanks,
Mark
Thank KEVINM. I believe that is his pages.

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 02-22-2004, 06:30 PM
Pro Rider

Ok, KevinM,
Thanks for posting the info on clutch springs. Before I read your web pages, I only had a concept of what was being talked about. Now I'm an expert. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] Really, that's good stuff.

Thanks,
Mark