Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Please help Flashing belt light!!!! P700

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2004, 11:55 PM
mtd
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please help Flashing belt light!!!! P700

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img] Yea tonight while I was coming back from a short trip approx 25 miles in the snow. The belt light started flashing and no more power. Don't know what happen, was just passing a Grizz and it burp on me. Got it towed home in the heated garage tried to reset as indicated on Nyroc's site I think but still flash and still no power. Correct me if I'm wrong, turn off quad, swicth grey to black 5 pins conector, unplugged 2 wires flashing belt wire out of black box on top of CVT like indicated but still the same....

Do you think it's a belt problem or electrical?

I got stuck and was pretty hard on the belt to get out but gezz my Ruby 500 took way much more abuse and never burp like that on me...

Love my machine... until 3 years warranty end[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Please reply and tell me if I should take it to a dealership tommorow or try something else???

Thanks a million guy's
MTD

Old 02-25-2004, 12:04 AM
Pro Rider

Your belt switch may be tripped. Remove the cover and check. Thats my guess. The 04 Prairie doesn't loose power for the 100 hour belt inspection light. It does loose power if the switch is flipped.

Your belt is long overdue.

A prairie will take a lot more abuse than a Ruby exept for that belt. Being smart with the belt makes it last a long time, like 2000 miles or more. Dont use the belt to tow a truck. Don't ride slow in high range, things like that. Never ride a loose or glazed belt. Never ever ever sit and give it gas when the tires aren't moving.

That Nyroc guy's website has info on how to measure/tighten/replace belts.

Old 02-25-2004, 12:13 AM
mtd
Range Rover

Hey Nyroc, thanks for the reply, [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]
I've only got like 45 hours so far if so, bought it before christmass only and haven't rode it much. That why I can understand what went wrong. I've been really carefull so far and treat that bike like it was a princess. Last week, had it for the first service and they supposely check the belt, that the first ride since???

I will remove the cover and check the belt but if it's tripped, what do I do???

Thanks again

MTD

Old 02-25-2004, 12:23 AM
Pro Rider

If flipped, flip it back toward the rear. Check the belt tension.

You can flip a belt switch when you jump. If it isn't flipped, could be a faulty connection somewhere, not sure.

It can't be the reverse sensor, or the upside down sensor or the belt light wouldn't be on. That belt switch is flipped, or the belt switch wires are unplugged.

Some people have disabled their belt switch, or sanded it down so it didn't trip so easy. I would like to encourage you not to do this unless you find that the belt switch is flipped repeatedly and there is not anything wrong with the belt.

Old 02-25-2004, 06:18 AM
Pro Rider

I hear the later 2003 models will not loose power @ 100 hours also. Is this the case? If so how do I know if mine is one of them? I am at 45 hours now.

Old 02-25-2004, 08:15 AM
Pro Rider

therock, I think that is the case. Get your Vin and look in buykawasaki.com. You will find vin ranges in the parts diagram that will let you know if yours is early 03 or late 03.

Old 02-25-2004, 09:04 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: nyroc
Your belt switch may be tripped. Remove the cover and check. Thats my guess. The 04 Prairie doesn't loose power for the 100 hour belt inspection light. It does loose power if the switch is flipped.

Your belt is long overdue.

A prairie will take a lot more abuse than a Ruby exept for that belt. Being smart with the belt makes it last a long time, like 2000 miles or more. Dont use the belt to tow a truck. Don't ride slow in high range, things like that. Never ride a loose or glazed belt. Never ever ever sit and give it gas when the tires aren't moving.

That Nyroc guy's website has info on how to measure/tighten/replace belts.
Nyroc mine 700 does.. Maybe there's a difference in Can and US models again.... I got hit hard at 50 hours too.

MTD how many miles is on your 700?

Old 02-25-2004, 09:34 AM
Pro Rider

therock--- I THINK that a quick way to tell if yours is a LATE '03 model is IF IT HAS a CVT cover drain plug. I am not positive about this, but it makes sense.

Old 02-26-2004, 08:19 PM
Pro Rider

Where is this drain supposed to be located?

Old 02-26-2004, 10:22 PM
Trailblazer

I have an '02 so I don't have to worry about limp mode and all that other stuff but curious to know that if the limp mode is caused by the switch being triggered why not just stay the switch in the off position that way you will never go into limp mode even if the belt light does come on. I have never seen what the switch looks like or if it is possible, just a suggestion.

Quick Reply: Please help Flashing belt light!!!! P700