Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Please help Flashing belt light!!!! P700

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2004, 11:12 PM
mtd
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please help Flashing belt light!!!! P700

Thanks To ya all problem was fix the next day dealer replace that black little box on the CVT box with the reset and was all. there was something blocking it stoping it to reset. Now she's back like new...[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 02-27-2004, 12:38 AM
Pro Rider

mtd, glas you got it fixed.

Spliffstar, the switch is on the CVT cover. It is the rectangular box. You 02 has it. You will be in limp mode if it gets tripped. It is supposed to get flipped if the belt is loose or fraying. It is a safety feature to prevent you from being able to go fast on a damaged belt.

The 03 and 04 Prairies have a feature that turns the belt light on at 100 hrs to get you to take the quad to the dealer to check the belt.
The early 03 Prairie lost power at 100hrs (or so) when this light came on. That was not a very good thing to do on kawasaki's part from a customer satisfaction perspective. They fixed it so the later 03 doesn't loose power.

As far as I know only kawasaki does this. The reason they do it is they used to put crappy belts on full time 4x4 ATVs. The belt would break down and jam up the driven pulley and stop the transmission. No one has died, but their machines flipped and 4 people have been seriously injured on 97 to 99 prairies with the crummy belt. There was a recall. The problem is fixed with an improved belt.

I don't fully understand why the 360, 650 and 700 have a belt trip switch.
1. the belt is much higher quality. It doesn't crap out like the older 300/400 belt did.
2. Most people flip to 2x4 while going faster on a 360, 650, 700 and you won't do a flip when you aer in 2x4.

We have a safety mechanism on a belt driven quad. All other belt driven quads are susceptibel to this. They don't have the safety thingy.

We probably could get away with removing the switch. Anyone with good sense could tell when their belt is in trouble and keep the speed down. I don't need my Prairie to tell me that. I am extremely sensitive to changes and noises. I would figure it out fast.

There was a guy on this forum that towed a polaris using high range and full throttle (and up a hill). That guy actually does need a belt trip switch to protect him from his own lack of common sense regarding the belt. His belt did turn to garbage real fast. It still didn't cause him any trouble other than he had to replace it. It was a very good quality SAFE belt.

You add up all of those probabilities and it is just not very likely that your machine will flip. Look, out of all those 300s and 400s, all of their belts stunk and were coming apart. Only 4 people were hurt? Granted, 4 people hurt is a problem, but if you put a real belt on all those 300s and 400s what does the probability go down to? It is extremely unlikely that anyone is gonna get hurt. Think about it 150000 bad belts causes 4 injuries. What then is the injury ratio if those are 150000 good quality belts? Nil? Zip? None? Nada? Ok, to that very low figure, throw in part time 4x4 capability. That would have to reduce the probability by a factor of ten.

the other belt driven ATVs have the same ability to stop the tranny in 4x4 and flip the rider if the belt turns to mush. They don't feel there is a need for a safety feature. Why? The probability is too low. It is so low that it isn't happening.

Anyway, that is my soap box speech. I am sure Kawasaki has more correct data than I do. I just question the need for that trip switch and the 100hrs thingy.

Old 02-27-2004, 08:42 AM
Pro Rider

The CVT cover's drain plug is obvious. It is black, rubber, there is a "pull ring" made into it. You can't miss it................................