Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

How big is TOO big ???

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2004, 06:19 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How big is TOO big ???

Decisions... Decisions... Well, only the tax man could keep me away from the Mud Nationals this year... I'll be traveling light, as I live 900 miles away... but because IF I can make it, I'll be going to win...I'll be bringing 3 different sets of tires & wheels... After looking at the swamp race pictures from last year, I'll be bringing one V E R Y big set of tires & wheels...I have to decide this week, which custom wheels to have made... 16" X 5.5" rims, for the 33" X 7" tractor treads, or the 22" X 8" rims for the 37" X 8" Rice & Cane tires... I'm honestly hoping I can use a more normal tire & wheel combo, but I'll have this set along for pictures, & if they decide to flood the pit, for the open class...

What do you guy's think ??? should I do up the 33", or the 37" ( the 37" are awesome, the lugs are nearly 4" tall on the edges, & nearly 2.5" tall in the center of the tire )

Old 03-08-2004, 06:34 PM
Pro Rider

I got a set of tracks LOL I can skip accross a little water with it.... I don't know about mud. all you need a little run on.

Old 03-08-2004, 06:36 PM
Pro Rider

BTW I would go 33 you don't want to loose too much of that monster power.

Old 03-08-2004, 07:44 PM
Pro Rider

Wam;

I don't know what Rice and cane tires are but the tractor lugs should work great,

Will the 37" fit...mine are 31" tall and barely fit, rub when turning, even when after being set out 5".

Don't worry about losing power. That monster won't even know it's working. Clutches will adjust to the right ratio....might go with lighter clutch weights.

Don't know anything about mud pits, but you might want to look at loading them with water.

Good luck.

Old 03-08-2004, 11:00 PM
Pro Rider

PICTURES!!! hehe

I have to think your running very little fenders and a wide offset with 33 or 37 inch tires. I think the best bet might be very tall and skinny, just let it sink to the bottom and drive straight through. Might work or go very wide and light. Tracks would work well I think, with enough track spin you won't sink to the bottom fast enough and you would have enough foot print to get traction and keep moving. Speed would be they key with tracks.

Get some pictures of these big tires mounted or unmounted on the quad, still cool.

Old 03-08-2004, 11:32 PM
Pro Rider

I have 38.5" Super Swamps on my truck with 4.10 gears and I need about 4.88-5.10 . I think with 37" tires on a V the belt would become smoke.

Old 03-08-2004, 11:43 PM
Pro Rider

Its on a Praire but thats a good point, she may have the power to smoke them but the belt may smoke itself first. Hmmm...how to fix that? You could make mudding clutches, groove the inside of the clutch and the belt so they work together. You may destory the belt after a few runs but it might stick better. Or another thing maybe belt dressing, though it might not be enough.

I wonder if you replaced the clutches with gears, two gears connected together with a chain. This would limit the Praire to a certain speed but you could gear it anway you choose. I think this could work, it would be neat on a V-Force, make it have some tall gearing and hop up the motor and look out!!

Maybe I'm off base on this gear idea, anyone know if it would work or not?

Trending Topics

Old 03-08-2004, 11:48 PM
Pro Rider

I don't see any reason why it wouldn't work. My Harley's primary chain is exactly that.(plus a clutch)

Old 03-08-2004, 11:52 PM
Pro Rider

But the clutches on the CVT expand and shrink as the demand for the proper gearing is called for. If gears were to be used it would only be in one range so to speak, it would not be able to change gearing on the fly like a CVT can. Now, if there was a way to reliabily expand and shrink the gear that the chain is on on both ends you would have something better than a belt for high horsepower applications, maybe.....lol. I don't know.

Old 03-08-2004, 11:59 PM
Pro Rider

I was thinking one speed for mud. (your website won't load)