Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Installed Supertrapp on Bayou, what tuning needs to be done now?

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2000, 02:37 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Me and a friend just installed Supertrapp exhaust on his Bayou and some people have told me that it needs to be tuned for it or we might have problems, can you guys help us out and tell us what we need to do! pleeeease!

Old 07-15-2000, 07:45 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The only useful change I can think of might be the carburetor main jet. The stock jetting is probably pretty close; I'd take a plug reading; if the plug looks to be on the light side, I'd try a step or two larger main jet. Otherwise, just run it as is.

I don't think any damage (e.g., overheating from too lean a mixture) would occur with stock jetting; however, you may not be getting optimum power and need to richen the mixture to take advantage of the pipe's full potential.

If it runs o.k. and the plug looks normal, ride on!

Tree Farmer

Old 07-16-2000, 04:12 PM
Pro Rider

I would suggest a alos suggest the larger main jet but before you do that I might add a K&N or UNI airflter. It is not a requiment but will help your engine breath more an they are pretty cheap. The UNI filter is the cheapest (around 20$). After the mods I would jump up one main size and check the plug on a regualar basis until it is a consistant brown like a paper bag. If it is white it is to lean and if it is black its to rich. Good luck.

Old 07-17-2000, 11:42 AM
Pro Rider

Tuning entirely depends on how you have the muffler setup...

Dr. Paul Moller, the inventor of the SuperTrapp, reasoned that if you could scavenge residual gas this would allow a stronger charge to enter the combustion chamber, resulting in an increase in performance.

The SuperTrapp uses a patented radial diffuser system. A series of discs with a precise gap form an exhaust outlet. By adding or subtracting discs, you can virtually wave tune your engine and carburetion.

You can increase or decrease the exhaust outlet size; adding discs opens the system and removing them reduces it. The fewer the discs, the quieter the system; the more discs, the nosier it becomes.

SuperTrapp dispenses exhaust gases radially rather than straight out, it is greatly effective in reducing noise levels. This opening and closing of the exhaust exit is very important to tuning. Allowing you to adjust your powerband, according to the type of track you are running.

**Remove discs to decrease the exhaust opening and increase back pressure.

-This decreases the powerband to give you more low-end torque.

-Decreases the exhaust tone.

-Enriches the carburetion.

**Add discs to increase the exhaust opening and reduce back pressure.

-This increases the powerband to give you more top- end.

-Increases the exhaust tone.

-Leans out the carburetion.