Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

installed the dyna cdi today

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2004, 07:08 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default installed the dyna cdi today

Installed the dyna cdi today.

I ride a 6/10 of a mile track with ten turns near my house and here are my early observations

Substantial increase in takeoff power (I didn't have any modules prior to the cdi to compare it to)

On the short straight-aways on my little race course I was adding about +2 mph max achieved speed. For instance where the speedometer tops out at 40 I saw 42 and on the longer straight 53 became 55.

As expected absoloute top speed appears to be unaffected. No real test on that yet.

I did not change the jetting for the cdi. I did not experience any stumbles across the power band. My idle speed did increase, not sure if this related to the cdi or not. Will check the plugs before this weekends poker run to see if I should re-jet

Old 03-29-2004, 08:59 PM
Range Rover

Good to hear, I was actually hoping to avoid jetting. Guess I like the way it runs stock better for some reason. Now if the UPS guy will ever arrive with the damn thing...

Old 03-30-2004, 12:13 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Garageman,
Thanx for the initial report. I know you said you have no module to compare it to, but please tell me whether or not the new cdi makes it easier to pull wheelies from a dead stop. If so, do you have to let off the throttle when you hit WOT from a dead stop in order to avoid flipping over backwards (similar to using a holeshot module)?

Also, can you tell any difference when you are going aloing at say 20 or 30 mph and then hit WOT? In other words, does it have significantly more throttle response in the mid range?

Last but not least, does this new cdi live up to all the hype or is it a disappointment to you?

Happy trails...[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 03-30-2004, 06:42 AM
Weekend Warrior

Mikey,

It makes it much much easier to wheelie. I did have to leave off the throttle to keep it from coming back over(when I was slide back on the seat trying to wheelie) However if you slide front on the seat you can get the horse power to the ground, or at least I can at 230 lbs.

I felt a little better response across the entire power band. Especially the bottom end but I am convinced it had more get up at mid range. Like I posted earlier...on my little track that I ride the speedometer consistently read that I achieved higher max speeds on the straights. And that could only happen if it was accelerating faster across the entire power band. Since I don't drop to under 3 mph going around the corners the previous modules wouldn't have been able to increase max achieved top speed on the straights.

To answer your last question...does it live up to all the hype? I'm sure nothing could live up to all the hype that this cdi recieved on this forum. However I'm glad that I got it. And it will help make future mods more worthwhile.