Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

moron question (need help ASAP)

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2004, 09:08 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default moron question (need help ASAP)

dont laugh too hard but i have a really stupid question. what is that stuff that you rub around the inside of a tire before you mount it on a rim called? is it some kind of bead sealer? i feel really stupid but youll have that!any help is appreciated.

Old 04-03-2004, 09:17 AM
Range Rover

Try some dish soap and water
works for me

Old 04-03-2004, 09:29 AM
Range Rover

isnt there supposed to be something to help seal the bead though?

Old 04-03-2004, 09:32 AM
Range Rover

whatever it is, i have seen tire shops use it and it comes in a can and has a brush like thing on the cap of it when you unscrew it. you rub it around the rim of the tire

Old 04-03-2004, 09:42 AM
Trailblazer

it's like a slippery crap.. soapy water works good..

Old 04-03-2004, 09:48 AM
Pro Rider

Its called liquid buffer....well that is name that napa auto parts sells it buy. we use it at work all the time.

Old 04-03-2004, 10:01 AM
Range Rover

so there isnt anything you have to use to help seal the bead you just put that stuff on there to clean it before you mount the tire onto the rim? the reasoning for my dumb question is because i bought a tire changer and need to know everything you have to have to change one. so all you do is pop the tire off of the rim, put that liquid buffer or soap and water around the rim of the tire and mount the tire onto the rim and thats it?

Old 04-03-2004, 10:34 AM
Pro Rider

You use soap and water to lubricate the bead before you mount or remove a tire. If you don't, you stand a chance of ripping the rubber, plus it's a heck of a lot easier than without.

I can't help you with the beadlock stuff you're asking about, but a call to NAPA or PEP boys should help you out. I've seen them put it onto big truck tires and skidder tires to help stop the rim from slipping in the bead.

Old 04-03-2004, 11:21 AM
Pro Rider

The stuff you are talking about is called Tire Soap, It is kinda thick and you brush it on around the bead. It helps make a seal between the bead and the rim. You can get some from any tire shop.

Old 04-03-2004, 12:06 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally posted by: rammy
dont laugh too hard but i have a really stupid question. what is that stuff that you rub around the inside of a tire before you mount it on a rim called? is it some kind of bead sealer? i feel really stupid but youll have that!any help is appreciated.
There is really no kind of glue if thats what you are looking for. at least I have not seen any. There is constant flexing between the tire and rim.
The best you can hope for is the cleanest surface between the tire and rim when you mount them so you can get the best seal possible. Clean them both before hand then use a commercial product or just soapy water to keep it wet when you mount. Follow these good practices and you usually won't have a leak later on.

Quick Reply: moron question (need help ASAP)