Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

108-110 Race Gas

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2004, 10:32 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 108-110 Race Gas

Originally posted by: Rkhard
exxon 109 octane 4.50 gallon sold at my quad mechanics shop. i run it in my V and it does work. did a little test with it today ran extensive drags with aother V with very very similar mods to mine only thing his didnt have was the dalton clutch cover.. with normal 93 octane gas whoever got off the line first won... after lunch after i let my tank run out i added my 50/50 exxon109/93 octane mix no matter if he got me off the line the V walked him down with a quickness. not to mention i was able to barly beat my buddy on his modded YZF 450 a feat i have yet to do before this. so in my opinion race fuel does help you just have to decied is the ridding your going to be doing that day worth the 5 bucks a gallon your going to pay....

You must be on the lean side to begin with.....If you are jetted correctly on a stock compression engine, race fuel will not improve your ATV's performance, period; it will most likely hurt it. You want the fastest burning fuel that your compression ratio, cylinder heads, and camshafts are set up for.

BTW, I've used VP for years; IMO, there is not a better fuel.

Old 04-05-2004, 11:48 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 108-110 Race Gas

n2xlr8n,
First off, I have no experience using race fuel in an atv or other vehicle and I do not have any significant knowledge of the benefits of using race fuel. With that said, a long time ago I read that someone on these atv forums used race fuel and it didn't improve the performance of a stock P650 (and actually it slowed him down a little) in timed acceleration runs.

But I am now curious as to why you apparently use race fuel at all if it doesn't add performance to an atv (your post above says you've used VP race fuel for years)? Also, I noticed that several utility quads (like Mike Penland, Scott Kilby and others) used race fuel at the GNCC race that I ran in earlier this year. Could it be that race fuel only helps for motors with higher compression and other engine mods? Someone please help me understand the benefits of using race fuel in an atv motor.

BTW, I put some 104 octane boost (gasoline additive) into my P650 this weekend and ran it in a XC race...my motor ran good, but I noticed no difference in the performance. However, I did notice the engine/exhaust pipe seemed hotter than normal... It did not overheat the motor or anything like that, but I did notice the left lower plastic fender piece near the exhaust pipe felt hotter to the touch than usual.

Happy trails...[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 04-05-2004, 11:53 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 108-110 Race Gas

Originally posted by: MikeyBoyesq
n2xlr8n,Could it be that race fuel only helps for motors with higher compression and other engine mods? Someone please help me understand the benefits of using race fuel in an atv motor.

BTW, I put some 104 octane boost (gasoline additive) into my P650 this weekend and ran it in a XC race...my motor ran good, but I noticed no difference in the performance. However, I did notice the engine/exhaust pipe seemed hotter than normal... It did not overheat the motor or anything like that, but I did notice the left lower plastic fender piece near the exhaust pipe felt hotter to the touch than usual.

Bingo, high octane fuel is required for higher compression engines. If you dont have high comp, you dont gain anything by running higher octane.

Octane boost will not change anything in your engine. It only raises octane a few tenths of an octane number.

Race gas will not overheat your engine. It does not run significantly "hotter" than any other gasoline.

Old 04-05-2004, 12:15 PM
Pro Rider
Default 108-110 Race Gas

As said many times, race gas is only for high compression modified engines.

Octane boost will boost 87 to 89 or 90, howver it will not improve upon 91-93 octane premium fuel. Don't waste your money.

Folks, there is no hidden performance boost running special fuels, as much as people may want to believe so. All 'octane' is is antiknock index, which basically means you run the lowest octane that your engine doesn't (knock/detonate) with. Anything above that will offer no more performance or protection.

Old 04-05-2004, 03:44 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default 108-110 Race Gas

There is one "Special Fuel" that makes a big difference. It's called NITRO-METHANE
HEE HEEE

Old 04-05-2004, 05:20 PM
Range Rover
Default 108-110 Race Gas

Shotgun; man that is wicked looking , Do you have any driveline problems? Have you considerd burning methenol alky? Them tires look like a pro cut whats the scoop on on them? I worked with a customer up to this year he is running 4 supercharged kiethblack 536 cid DRCE olds engines and I used to pull a twin turbo charged mini rod tractor and you definitly got it goin on on that tire cut im impressed. alcohol will chase that piston down the hole more effectively cool and slow burning, run about the same timing 40 degree max , if you do this run a upper cylinder lube cause your valves and rings need it and it neutralizes alcohols corrosion problem with aluminum. just food for thought, hope your not offended because of the many questions, that creation is just to neat!!!! JIM @ jhmachine co.

Old 04-05-2004, 05:39 PM
Range Rover
Default 108-110 Race Gas

Originally posted by: MikeyBoyesq
n2xlr8n,

1) But I am now curious as to why you apparently use race fuel at all if it doesn't add performance to an atv (your post above says you've used VP race fuel for years)? Also, I noticed that several utility quads (like Mike Penland, Scott Kilby and others) used race fuel at the GNCC race that I ran in earlier this year.

2) BTW, I put some 104 octane boost (gasoline additive) into my P650 this weekend and ran it in a XC race...my motor ran good, but I noticed no difference in the performance. However, I did notice the engine/exhaust pipe seemed hotter than normal... It did not overheat the motor or anything like that, but I did notice the left lower plastic fender piece near the exhaust pipe felt hotter to the touch than usual.

1) I have used VP race fuel for years in my 10.5 Outlaw Street cars, and in my current every day turbo car. Both of which have compression in excess of 12.5:1, which would require a heavier fuel (higher octane).

2) Could it be that your racing in the GNCC might have been a little harder on the machine than a banzai pass thru the local trail? [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

.....no offense intended, just trying to dispel a common myth. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 04-05-2004, 08:33 PM
Pro Rider
Default 108-110 Race Gas

Hey Mike,

You cover the stock class and I'll cover the improved class.

I'll call tomorrow. don't tell the grizz boys about the 850cc, I want to see the look on their faces....lol

Their 686's, 727's that 750 from down state won't look so big now.

We'll see what they got...how's that new 700 running?? I hear my grand son is buying a Eton from you.

He told me he needed something with reverse...lol 5 years old and needs reverse. Don't bill me, bill his other grandfather....lol

later

Old 04-05-2004, 09:43 PM
Range Rover
Default 108-110 Race Gas

Race gas will not overheat your engine. It does not run significantly "hotter" than any other gasoline.[/quote]

Actually it burns colder. If you run race fuel in a stock engine with stock jets you are WAY too rich. This can lead to unburnt fuel pasing through the exhaust valves. The fuel eventually will burn off inside the exhaust system which will make the pipe/muffler extremely hot. I've seen snowmobiles catch fire from being too rich.

Old 04-06-2004, 03:31 AM
Range Rover
Default 108-110 Race Gas

Why **** with gas, this thing will make power on slow burn that is what she wants...GET BACK...jh

Quick Reply: 108-110 Race Gas