Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Procom CDI Test

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2004, 03:54 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Procom CDI Test

<FONT face=Verdana>I had a chance to test the new cdi for the V Force here is what I found.

First off I am not impressed with fit and finish. It was hard to install the plugs for the wiring harness they were so tight I had to cut one of the plugs in the corners like an orange peal to get it on. The motor was hard starting it did not want to run. I thought initially it was due to improper plug alignment but that turned out alright. It still did not idle properly once I did get it started I found out the reason,read on. I did some time trials that friend helped me with.

It started backfiring from take off I tried to rejett it, It did help a little but not very much. It did have an impressive mid range but fell off dramatically after 8000 rpm rather like the OEM system when the timing is retarded. It did not really work as well as I would have hoped here is the reason.

With the help of a scope I found the timing did not follow the parameters of the design of the engine. Meaning the engine fires at 270* the Procom cdi fired at 265* a full 5* out of sink no wonder it did not want to idle. It did however work better at the mid range settings. the timing did right itself then fell off drastically after 7000 rpm. Timing resorted to 265* again then the spark was eratic at 7000 rpm, bounced all over the place. Since it was a given unit I decided to mill off the back side of the cdi to see the internal workings.

I found the soldier points were messy it looked like a novice put it together, I could have done better and I am not an electronics wizard by far. I spent most of the day pulling this cdi apart and I am not impressed at all. The OEM system works better with a degree key at least the OEM system won't let you down in the middle of now where.

Since I have seen what is inside and what was produced by this unit I would stay clear of it. These are my findings I thought I would bring to your attention, you may however have better results than I, good luck.</FONT>

Old 04-05-2004, 04:10 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Procom CDI Test

Thanks for the input alltoys, glad to see you are up and running again.

I never did like that company. Thier website is a joke and most raptor/predator/yfz owners I have talked to hated their boxes and either took them back or sold them.

Old 04-05-2004, 07:28 AM
Pro Rider
Default Procom CDI Test

arent you supposed to be resting up?[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img]

Old 04-05-2004, 09:32 AM
Range Rover
Default Procom CDI Test

thanks and glad to see you doing better. keep getting better.

Old 04-05-2004, 10:02 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Default Procom CDI Test

Seems the Procam CDI is an unacceptable candidate for a 100+ mph assault (on a utility machine). The healing up process is apparantly coming along nicely...[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]. Will someone buy Alltoys a Raptor?

Old 04-05-2004, 10:03 AM
Pro Rider
Default Procom CDI Test

Interesting, because ...

I purchased a 4-Stroke Tech CDI for my V-Force. It has a decal that says "White Brothers" on it, but it is made by ProCom (according to Mickey Dunlap). Fit is absolutely identical to stock, just unplug and unbolt the OEM unit and plug in and bolt on the 4-Stroke Tech unit. Starting is better than stock, idle is [/i]better[/i] than stock, throttle response is clearly more brisk than stock, mid-range performance is significantly improved (especially after rejetting with adjustable dynojet needles), and top end performance is at least equal to stock, with no appreciable fall off.

How can two CDIs that are made by the same company be so different? Four Stroke Techs advertisements say that "it's whats on the inside that counts", and Mickey says his CDIs are programmed with different parameters than the CDIs that ProCom builds for their own resale. Maybe he is right, or maybe the V-Force CDIs are better than the Prairie CDIs, or ...

Old 04-05-2004, 11:01 AM
Range Rover
Default Procom CDI Test

Fantastic info, thanks.

Maybe Mickey can add some insight into this thread. In my limited manufacturing experience, sometimes "one-off" or lower production runs are handed off to a "go-to" tech that the manufacturer can count on to make it right....especially in the case of well known customers; maybe that is the case. I'd hate to think that my option for a VForce CDI was not well thought out or assembled.

Old 04-05-2004, 01:15 PM
Pro Rider
Default Procom CDI Test

Thanks all for the get well wishes I am feeling much better or at least cabin fever has taken hold, LOL. Snow is finally going away plus temperatures don't help when you have to take it easy.

I am not sure what Mickey uses for his cdi's I thought they were from Vortec, maybe his are better for a scrutinizing American public. All I know is the one I had was a piece of junk Procom will have to pick the pace for me to buy one. I say this because of my findings any of you may find it works great but I will have my reservations.

Old 04-05-2004, 03:49 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Procom CDI Test

I had a question about the procom cdi units a month or so ago. Mickey stated that he gave his input to them and that they were building them to his specs. Maybe I misunderstood and he only helped on the kfx700.

Thank you for the rating though. It looks inviting because it is drastically cheaper than the new dyna. But from what I hear, its well worth it.

Old 04-05-2004, 05:41 PM
Pro Rider
Default Procom CDI Test

Garyc660R,
Funny you mention a Raptor there is a turbo coming out for the Raptor and Grizz should be this year might be a contender for the Prairie yet lol. Seriously there is something coming out which will be a bolt on then all it would need is a decent ignition system which is not that difficult for a single cylinder. I will be getting another P700 but I am open to a second quad that will be IRS I am waiting to see the new Suzi King Quad and Kawi 750 IRS. I will make my decision when I have ridden them all.........even the Grizz.

Quick Reply: Procom CDI Test