Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

dalton clutch cover and weights on prairie

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2004, 01:32 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default dalton clutch cover and weights on prairie

Will these two things make much difference on the praires I know they are supposed to work well with the v's but the prairies are a little different internally. I have my new cdi in the mail so I can possible turn more rpms but??? Any one with this setup of knowledge please let me know.

Old 04-09-2004, 02:14 AM
Pro Rider

Prairie650and700,
They both will work great on a Prairie! You will have to remove your EBC or maybe have a bearing pushed into the face plate a readjust the EBC. I chose to remove it completely! I noticed the sheaves don't wear as much with out it and the brakes work great on our Prairies. Also you will probably gain 2mph. with just removing your EBC. There is always pressure on the clutch with the EBC, less resistance = more speed.

The face plate will add some mph. just as long as you have the power to push the belt to the top of the front clutch. It is lighter than a V-force cover that doesn't have the extra 90gram bearing on the face plate like the Prairies do. So less weight means faster ramp up on the clutch and rpms!
The weights work great as well. They have holes if you want to add some more weight if needed. They help grip the belt better and seem to help more on the mid range(just my opinion).

I run both the face plate and weights with there blue spring on 04 clutches for trail riding. I hit 77mph. with my setup on the speedo, but it was getting to hard to hold on so I let off. I think my new setup will be smoother(no ATR's Alltracs instead)and should be able to hit 80mph. the new CDI I have will make sure of that! Maybe today I will be able to do that after I get the plastics on.

Give Dale a call at Dalton. He is a great guy and can ansawer all your questions! He has a V-force that flys and has tweaked a Prairie or 2.

Old 04-09-2004, 02:31 AM
Range Rover

So dales cover will accept the bearing for the kebc or not. I mainly just want it for pulling I don't really desire to use it all the time I would like to keep the best of both worlds kebc and power. It is not a big deal to change them around but if I have to pull the kebc motor off and on all the time this may just change my mind on the cover. I would like the option of hitting 75+ but 70 or 72 is just fine that will beat any other utility atv out there. So anyway will the bearing the kebc motor rides against press into the new cover or not? Thanks

Old 04-09-2004, 02:43 AM
Pro Rider

I have to agree with everything wildwill said,,, I also removed the engine brake but according to what Dale told me and from the looks of it you can put the bearing in there if you wanted. I have this same set up in two of our Prairies and hopefully will have all 4 set up soon!
The best thing you can do is give Dale himself a call at Daltons! 902-897-3333

Old 04-09-2004, 10:14 AM
Pro Rider

650&700...you can also purchase the V force belt cover ...less than $40.00, & just unplug the KBEC actuator ( still working on the 2 to 4 wd flashing lights ) But this way you could easily switch back & forth as needed, by just swapping a few parts...you may / will find you probably want a different primary spring in for pulling, anyway... so it would be no big deal just to swap out the parts...

Old 04-09-2004, 03:57 PM
Pro Rider

A little off the topic but.......

If one was so inclined could he run 2 different clutch systems one for say drags or pulling and the factory one for trail riding?

This may cost a bit but if I wanted to set up a complete V-Force clutch to put into my Prairie to use for drag racing, could I? Then put the Prairie one back in for trail riding.

Old 04-09-2004, 05:55 PM
Pro Rider

EE,

I wouldn't waste the money on a whole second stock clutch.

It is easy to swap faceplate, springs and weights. So, you could keep the sheaves constant and just swap out the rest.

Wait for the aftermarket clutches..... (fingers crossed).