Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Welders

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2004 | 10:19 AM
Pro Rider
Default Welders

I agree with the Hobart 175 being a good machine. Another thing a lot of folks don't know is that the Hobart and Miller welders are the same machines. For example the only real difference on the Hobart 175 and the Miller 175 is the feed mechanism. The Hobart is plastic and the miller is aluminum but they are interchangable so if your Hobart wears out you can replace it with the Miller part. I've lost count of the number of 10# spools my Hobart has run to date but I've still had no problems.

The Hobart is a bit cheaper so you can save money and still have the same machine.

Old 04-14-2004 | 10:26 AM
Trailblazer
Default Welders

I recently got my first welder. I opted for a Lincoln mig welder that can run gas or flux cored wire. It is very easy to use. takes some practice to make a pretty weld but it is fun. The flux cored wire does fine but has alot of splatter (little dropletts of metal that get on both sides of the weld). WIth gas you get a better looking weld. It is great for small projects and can weld up to 5/16 steel with one pass. For me this was the way to go. Newbeatle was right about duty rating. Mine has a low duty rating but hasn't affected anything that I have done so far. I am a pretty slow weldor anyway. My Lincoln cost around $437 and I bought it at Home Depot. After a 10% coupon it was a deal in my book. WIsh you luck in your choice. Matt

Old 04-14-2004 | 10:44 AM
Pro Rider
Default Welders

I just got a spool gun for my lincoln (220v) and I am now welding aluminum with it. I have two tanks and can switch back and forth from steel to alum very quickly.

I would almost recommend getting two welders, one of the cheaper 110v weld PAK lincolns to use for gasless, and a better one (220v) to use with gas for the more serious jobs. I used to have access to two welders and it was very convenient to be able to go back to gasless and full portability without messing with hoses tanks and hose liners.

I make all kinds of things now. You will find yourself making things more and more to facilitate the fun things you like to do when you have a welder.

This photo is of my welder in the welding cart I made using the welder, sitting on the trailer I made with the welder. That was my 6th trailer. I made the bed 11" off the ground so that my 650 could hop on without a ramp. Works nice.

Old 04-14-2004 | 11:14 AM
Trailblazer
Default Welders

go with a 220 miller/hobart mig welder. they are spoolgun capable (which is the only way to properly weld alum. with a mig) can go gas or flux, and are great for the money. get atleast a 175 amp welder, this will let you properly weld 1/4". for gas run 75%25% argon c02. for alum. run 100% argon through the spool. northern tools has some good buys on the hobarts. if your feeling good buy a tig like i did and you can do anything, but they are spendy and take some time to use, but they come with the stick attacthment, and is the best weld you can get besides robot welds.

Old 04-14-2004 | 11:34 AM
|
Pro Rider
Default Welders

Lots of great information guys, thanks. I won't know if I can get a 220 yet, I don't move in till June 30th at the earliest. I'm going to hold off on my welder purchase till then, I will search the net for more information and check out prices till then. Thanks again everyone.

Old 04-14-2004 | 11:41 AM
Pro Rider
Default Welders

Get the 220v, and just make whatever extension cable you need to use the dryer plug. That's what I do. I have never had a garage with 220v.

To me, welding on 110v is like riding an old suzuki LT300 compared to 220v is like riding a 650. Sure 110v is convenient, but it just dosen't weld well. The weld current isn't as stable.

You could also make a "special" cable to connect to 2 separate 110v outlets to get your 220v. But, you have to know what you are doing to make it work, you also need to be sure your outlets are wired right. You need to find an outlet that is on the other "leg" of the 220v as the first one. I have an electrical tester that allows me to find them.

Old 04-14-2004 | 12:32 PM
Pro Rider
Default Welders

Get a 220V Miller MIG . I love mine and it will out live me.

Brent, Brent, Brent. Don't you work for Manitoba Hydro?. Just get the boys to do a service call to get the shop configured for 220. Tell them you are a supervisor and thier jobs depend on it[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

I love my new Argo by the way [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 04-14-2004 | 01:28 PM
Pro Rider
Default Welders

I bought a miller, 2 cyclinder gas, so I could also use it as a generator, if power ever went out.

Now that I think of it, it's still stock, Any ideas on modds??

Old 04-14-2004 | 01:44 PM
Pro Rider
Default Welders

SHOTGUN... NOS welder / generator ????

Old 04-14-2004 | 03:09 PM
Pro Rider
Default Welders

DO NOT EVEN THINK ABOUT ROBOT WELDERS. LOL. i work at a place that i program them. we have 3 types fanuc, panasonic, motoman. they are not stronger than a standard mig, i mean if you weld something that is thin your going to have the same heat settings that you would have if you did it at home. you can not pour the heat to them as they will burn through, just like you would at home. they are more controllable thats all. if you buy a 110 volt model you have to watch that you dont use a long extension cord, you will draw to many amps and kick the breaker. if you deside to go up on your breaker then you have a chance to over heat your welder. i think my buddy said, you can only have a 10' extension cord on it. he owns a 110 volt welder. dont get me wrong he has welded up trailers with no problems but he complanes about them. where they dont have the wright settings to do some of the stuff you need to weld. you cant get the wright heat and wire feed for the job. his duty cycle is low, it shuts off allot when he welded his trailer.

napa #7335
145f/147.5r jets
dynatek cdi
epi black
700p drive spring
warn 2000
plow

Quick Reply: Welders