Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

I know another tire? Prairie 650

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2004, 09:40 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I know another tire? Prairie 650

A guy i used to ride with has 26x10 and x12r dirt devils, and absolutely loves them. They get thru the deep water and mud, and they did very well on the loose rocks at hatfield mccoy, better than my atrs it seemed. He said the ride is smoother than his 589's, and he is happy, especially with the price. I dont think you can go wrong either way, but if bighorns only come in 25", id get something else 26".

Old 04-26-2004, 10:27 PM
Range Rover

Lightman- What is the ACTUAL height of your friend's Dirt Devils? I'm curious because I was all ready to order a set of DD's but then I saw a couple of posts here saying that the 26" Devils were noticeably shorter than the stock Dunlops.

Old 04-26-2004, 10:59 PM
Pro Rider

I didn't measure them, however considering that they perform well in all areas, I dont think it really matters one way or the other.

Old 04-27-2004, 02:05 AM
Pro Rider

Dirt Devils are short. I saw a set of 27 inchers next to a set of 26 inch bear claws the bear claws were taller and just as wide. I do like the Dirt Devils tred pattern and guys I know who have them like them but they were heavier than the bear claws too at least according to my pick them up and feel the weight right arm scale.

Old 04-27-2004, 07:07 AM
Range Rover

Originally posted by: Lightman
I didn't measure them, however considering that they perform well in all areas, I dont think it really matters one way or the other.
If it doesn't really matter one way or the other then why do you dog everyone else's recommendations if they're not suggesting 26 inch tires? Especially when the tires you so highly recommend aren't even close to 26 inches.

Old 04-27-2004, 09:31 AM
DOA
Range Rover

Lightman,

I put the 26 inch DD on my 650, I also have my 3000lb winch mounted in the factory holes(low). With the dunflops I would hit going into dips with my winch fairlead, now I can go much better into dips because of the extra clearance. I gained about and inch on the front and a half inch on the back. It didn't look like much more clearance from the side but in the front you also gain going forward, not just down, so your tires hit an inch sooner than with the factories and do not squish as much, it helps tremendously with my winch as low as it is. I like it down there now with more clearance, it pulls you UP and out, not forwards directly into the mud as much. It does collect a lot of snow there though, the bike needs more clearance on the front and I might get a small lift to do it. If you notice our front axels are near straight, they must be able to handle a little angle on the CV joint.

DD do real good in the snow, fill up in the thick mud though, real smooth on hard pack but they do travel and search, might even haul you into something you don't want when one side gets into something thicker than the other, especially snow, be careful(others do it too). The mudbugs seem to dig down more in snow(hollow out), DD have the center rib which seems to hold and pull you up out of the snow, just don't stop.(lol) They fill in like the bearclaws in the thick mud. Read the King Cat-Queen Kawi thread and you will see a bit of a real test.

If the Kenda Executioners came in 26 or 27 they might be my next tire, the titans seem to rough-out on my buddy at high speed, had to slow down. I can cruise as fast as it will go with the DD's so what does a person do.(lol) I want something a more agressive tire the next time and really not sure which way I will go. The Mudbugs seem to grab roots in the trails and rip at your bars, the 589 do great in the trails, climb the best via sharper and spaces lugs.

Hope this helps,

DOA

Old 05-01-2004, 10:23 PM
Weekend Warrior

Hey guys sorry just been trying to decide--i am going to go with 25 mudlites. I dont want to lose much power so i am going with the 25 instead of the 26's. I hope i made a good decision. Know am thinking bout wheels also.

Old 05-02-2004, 02:07 AM
Trailblazer

Freedog, I hope you don't ride much on pavement. I have the 25" mudlites and the tread is very soft. The rear tires are wearing pretty good, about 1/2 to 3/4 tread left but the fronts are almost bald and have been since about 3 months of use. This is my only complaint with the tire, they are almost as light as the stockers so you ain't gonna notice any loss in performance and they do pretty good in the mud. If you are set on the mudlites you should consider the 26" tire, If I remember correctly they have like 1 1/4 inch tread and they would last a lot longer than the 25's. My 589's have probably like 1200-1500 miles on them and still look new, incredibly durable tire, might wanna take a look at those in the stock size. Just be sure if you get the mudlites keep them off the pavement as much as possible.

Old 05-02-2004, 03:47 AM
Pro Rider

an online buddy offered to trade me 6 Bighorns (4bias and 2 radials) for my mudbugs...........whoa is me.........i want BH really bad but don't want to get rid of the bugs.........I'm seriously thinking about it though...........

Old 05-02-2004, 09:24 AM
DOA
Range Rover

Freedog,

Unless your driving a 300 or something equally as weak than atleast get the 26 inch tires, they have deeper tread then the 25's. Even the BearClaws have deeper tread on the 26's. They are just a little bit higher, NO power loss at all on my 650. Three of us have 26's and now another with a 450 foreman wants them too. He's thinks he's going with the dd in 26, has 25claws now. They do everything well but the thick, very thick mud. Yesterday we came through a 4by4 truck run.(MUD) and I went through everywhere the 589's and mudbugs went through but you have to rev them up sometimes to clear them. They are all round not bad at everything. I still think I want the 589's though, buddies rims are in perfect condition with the rimgaurds on the Titans. My rims are bent up from the dunflops and seem to have gotten a few more with the dd's.

Have fun(lol) You should really watch others, you really learn alot from watching others tires in ALL conditions. The DD's love the snow, lift you right up(center lug helps in this) I beat the 589's and the mudbugs in the snow and probably will in the sand too.

Quick Reply: I know another tire? Prairie 650