Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Welder/Torch???

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2004, 12:12 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Welder/Torch???

Lincoln Port-a-Torch

I'm going to get a baby welder first, I want to weld and I want to save money. So I will get something portable and cheap to learn on. Whats everyone think of this welder/torch? I'm not sure what to make of it. I would love to have a torch too. Thanks.

Old 04-26-2004, 02:38 AM
Pro Rider
Default Welder/Torch???

A torch is good for many things. Gas welding is an art, more difficult to learn than mig welding. About all I ever welded with mine was exhaust, till I got a mig. sure, it says you could weld 1/2"-- with a couple dozen passes. If you want to weld get a mig, even if it's 110v. If you want to cut get a torch.(preferably plasma arc)

Old 04-26-2004, 08:08 AM
Pro Rider
Default Welder/Torch???

bbertram - There are some serious professionals here trying to get you to buy a Miller. Maybe the cost of the millers discouraged you. I would get a Miller myself next time I purchase, but my lincoln is doing a great job for me. Miller is like the "snap-on" of welders. You can do decent work using craftsman hand tools like you can weld with a Lincoln. Miller is just the best brand I know of.

Lincolns are an excellent choice for the backyard mig welder. Go on ebay an get a small 220v lincoln. There are some good deals on tanks on ebay too.

Don't get this acetylene gas rig. I used to have a full size torch but I learned to do almost completely without it. The heat they produce makes metal brittle. You can't weld fast either. That torch is great for cutting and for artwork and heating. Don't weld with it. Get a mig (nice welds) or at least use a mig with the gasless wire (OK welds).

Warning, I don't think I would get any cheaper brands than lincoln. My friend has a chicago electric and it sucks compared to the cheap lincolns.

I got the Lincoln Weldpak 100 for my brother. It was $300 at Lowes. I think you would be happier with that as a money saving solution than the torch. It is 110v and is portable and does not use gas. I even use that little lincoln on a generator to make some repairs too far from the house. It is a good learner welder.

After you learn about welding with the cheap welder then let is convince you about something else.

Old 04-26-2004, 09:22 AM
Trailblazer
Default Welder/Torch???

I have a "buzz" box made by Miller, the thunderbolt. It's a AC/DC strait+reverse polarity stick machine. I can upgrade it later on to a gas MIG, even by a tig kit for it.(big$$$$$,but nice) I use the DC Sp most of the time. It has a nice start and the arc is easier to stabilize for beginners. You can also use a DC machine on stainless, cast, and even aluminum with the right rods and preparations.

The torch set that you are looking for can braze up to 1/2, but can't properly hot fusion weld a 1/2 of steel. Gas is also very expensive.

Try the used sections of newspaper, "bargain hunters" etc..
I bought mine used for $350 cnd, with 2 50' cables, 2 whips, 2 clamps, a helmet, apron, gloves, rods ect...
It looked +ran brand new and would had cost me over $1200 cnd.
The other day on ebay, they had brand new millers with free shipping. They went for under $500.

good luck

Old 04-26-2004, 09:57 AM
Pro Rider
Default Welder/Torch???

Yah, once I move down south I may keep my eyes open for a used one in the paper or farm auction sales. I was curious how this port-a-torch thing compared to a mig. I guess it doesn't.

Thanks.

Old 04-26-2004, 11:12 PM
Pro Rider
Default Welder/Torch???

if you want to learn then a gas welder is definatly not what you want. they take alot of skill to use. i would suggest a mig welder and then one of those little portable acetaline torches.

Old 04-27-2004, 06:56 AM
Trailblazer
Default Welder/Torch???

just get the mig they have stronger weld and faster and the easiest to use torch welding is about the same as tig its the hardest and not as easy to use but if u was good at welding then a torch wouldnt be to bad because once u get good u can get any thing to hold but not the best to start on

Old 04-27-2004, 02:35 PM
Trailblazer
Default Welder/Torch???

Brent, before you purchase a welder, try to get an idea of what type of welding projects you think you want to do. What gauge steel, new fab or repair, galvanized or ?? Will projects involve a high safety factor requirement ie trailer hitches, " D " rings for pulling etc ? You have many factors to consider before selecting the correct welder. You take on a certain amount of responsibility when welding up something for your friends so dont take your choice in which type of welder lightly.

Old 04-27-2004, 03:05 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Default Welder/Torch???

ESAB Multimaster 160. 33lbs. MIG, TIG, stick. Da suitcase can do it all. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 04-27-2004, 03:10 PM
Pro Rider
Default Welder/Torch???

I intend to learn on a baby mig then once I can weld well I will get an all in one stick, mig, tig. I really only want it for small things on the quad. Once I get a big one I will be going. I want to build an off-road buggy frame in the future. This future is about 10 years from now, hehe. So I have lots of time to practice on the baby mig.