Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Loose 650 Motor Mounts = Bad. Check yours now.

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2004, 12:15 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Loose 650 Motor Mounts = Bad

Everyone that has not checked their motor mounts needs to do it before going on their next ride (nyroc's orders). Use a prybar to try to lift motor vertically between frame and engine (near oil filter). If it moves. Tighten it. I think the P700 and Vforce are also susceptible to this bolt being loose.

I just checked my front motor mount tonight and it was loose. It is OK since I didn't ride too much with it loose. I have read that some engines get an overly loose engine mount and need to have the block replaced due to the size of the mount hole or the mount hole can even break.

The bolt is very long. I had to apply a lot of english to tighten it down since the nut had probably corroded to the bolt a bit.

This loose mount is probably what makes some of us have shift problems.

I noticed a creaking sound last ride, and I went looking for the cause this evening. That is how I noticed the loose mount. The rear one was not loose.

Old 04-28-2004, 12:29 AM
Trailblazer
Default Loose 650 Motor Mounts = Bad. Check yours now.

yeah we had a good....but brief ride....as i had to leave out the next day for the dreaded 10 days in arkansas (the ARMPIT of the united states) no offense meant to anyone from here....but in the 3 days ive been here i havent seen one thing worth a nickle to me!!!!
anyways.....finally got to ride with KOD....we been hanging out for a few months now....but never got to ride together... [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img] and i got to meet and ride with the infamous NYROC....a bang up dude if i ever met one!!!! even if he is a yanky!!! but thats ok....were gonna make a good ole boy outta him in no time!!!! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
well thats all time and this slowbut wireless broadband connection will allow....
take my advise and bypass arkasas if ya ever get the chance!

what up nyroc......good riding with ya saturday.....even if it was brief.....hope to do it again soon....on a day that i dont have ta work half a day....anf then leave out @ 4am the next morning on an 800 mile in one day road trip!!!![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]
will check for the engine mount thing when i get home....its not the first ive heard of this!!!
hope you had a good trip home saturday?
what did you and Tim get into after you left my house?

Old 04-28-2004, 04:00 PM
Pro Rider

I went to KOD's house and had pizza. His family was firendly but the cats didn't trust me. I left around 11:00PM and I got home at 12:AM.

I felt guilty because someones bedroom is right over my garage and I had to start my 650 to get it in the garage. I probably woke them up.

Old 04-28-2004, 04:12 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nyroc,
Good advice on checking for loose motor mounts. Just a few months ago, I was doing the Nyroc Mod and unbolted the head pipe that attaches to the muffler. When I was working on it, I just so happened to notice that 2 bolts were MISSING from my left rear motor mount and 2 bolts on the right rear motor mount were loose. Glad I discovered it when I did!

Happy trails...[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 04-28-2004, 04:51 PM
Pro Rider

I will check the mounts today. Hope you are having a good time Dustin.

Old 04-28-2004, 04:57 PM
Pro Rider

yep, I've been sugesting that people check thier mounts, if they need to adjust their shifters, since KIWI over on NATION said, almost a year ago, that their shop had seen most of the quads requiring shifter adjustments, had loose or missing motor mount bolts...

Old 04-28-2004, 07:09 PM
Pro Rider

YES SIR, NYROC SIR. LOL

i check my motor mounts, back were ok. front was loose.

here are the toque specks

engine mounting bracket bolts: 23 N.M ( 2.3 kgf.m, 17 ft.lb)
engine mounting bolts: 59 N.M ( 6.0 kgf.m, 43 ft.lb)
engine mounting nut: 59 N.M ( 6.0 kgf.m, 43 ft.lb)

155f/158r jets
needles shimmed .033
3 1/2 turns on pilot screws
dynatek cdi
epi black
700p drive spring
warn 2000
plow

Old 04-28-2004, 09:58 PM
Trailblazer

nyroc.....good deal on the waking neighbors up @ midnight.....i knew we would make a redneck outta you.....just thought it would take i lil longer!!!!

KOD...... NO!!! im not having a good time!!!!

and now im sitting here in armpit arkansas.....worried to death that my motor mounts are loose back home 805 miles away, and are working themselves loose as i type.......prolly get home and my motor be laying in the floor on its side with all the oil pooled up in the floor......
see ya.......duStin

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-frown.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

Old 04-28-2004, 10:09 PM
Pro Rider

damn good call Cap'n..loose a s a goose she was..snugged them up but without a torque wrench I just kinda guess..lol... and heres a question that has stymied me for months..when i yank up on the bars I swear that the stem moves just slightly..enuff to be noticed by me and it bothers the crap outa me I get the feeling that the bars are gonna pop "up" and out of there slot...any good guess's..Ive been all over the front end of the machine and it all seems tight..short of taking the plastic off down to the framing..which is not something I really wanna do..unless im ordered to by the big cheese =).what ya think Nyroc?? any guesses...

Old 04-28-2004, 11:22 PM
Range Rover

Thanks for the heads up Nyroc. Mine was good to go, better safe than sorry.

Quick Reply: Loose 650 Motor Mounts = Bad. Check yours now.