Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Anyone have an Armadillo Skid Plate?

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2004, 08:05 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone have an Armadillo Skid Plate?

Tyrann, the Armadillo plate uses the stock mountsat all locations except the front of the plate. At the front it uses three bolts that go thru the three slots in the stock front skid. The plate seems to mount very solidly except for at the front. If it was made even just to wrap up about 2-3" at the front so you could bolt it pretty much where the winch mount bolts in, it would be a great skid plate. As it is(unless maybe they've redesigned it), that front edge with the three bolts catches way to easily. Of course this all depends on how you ride and what you ride in/over. It didn't work for me. I just finished ordering a full set of the Ricochet skids, they look like about the best design out there.

BudXXX, I'm curious, how hard was it to adapt the bash plate and skid to work together? Just longer bolts or more involved than that? Also, Ive got a winch already installed, how is the fairlead set up on the bash plate? I'm hoping that I'd just be able to leave my winh where it is and run the cable thru both fairleads. Thanks in advance for any info.

Old 05-08-2004, 12:15 AM
Range Rover

I'll try to get some pics up of it in a day or two, but I dont have any now. What everyone is saying is right, the bash plate isn't exactly great on the P650 Armordillo, but then again, it's non-existant in stock form as well. The Armordillo comes up to almost exactly where the stock front plate does, and bolts with 3 hexbolts beneath the winch mounting area. I went to the local hardware store and immediately bought thicker,tougher bolts for those three slots. I love it, and I go mad crazy thru all terrain with it on there, it gives me alot of peace of mind to know its down there. 2 years now, and its got some scratches, but its still 100% intact. A little advice tho, get a few strong guys to help with install, you'll need them to torque it into place while you crank bolts. Maybe if I get motivated, I'll stand the beast up and take a snap of it for you, check my page in a day or 3.

Old 05-08-2004, 09:07 AM
Trailblazer

I was hoping to hear from someone that had one on their machine! Thanks I feel better about buying one know... I will get stronger mounting hardwear for the front.. A picture would be great but I will probably buy one today or in the next few days!! I know I could of used it last night sliding over fallen trees and logs!!
Cheers!

Old 05-08-2004, 11:06 AM
Pro Rider

uhm..well(lol) 5th has one ..we'll try to get some pics of it this afternoon..im gonna twist his arm to go riding anyhow... [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 05-08-2004, 06:48 PM
Pro Rider

589650- Mating bashplate to Richochet skids was way too easy, just needed to slot the bashplates bolt holes by 1/4 inch and use longer bolts and decent washers. It was a snap.

Then the Fairlead mounts completely to the bash plate and there is plenty of room between my existing winch mount and exisiting fairlead and the new stuff. The MAIN REASON I went to this bashplate is it gets the fairlead forward enough so you can winch the front end straight up without damage to the machine. The stock winch and fairlead was so far back into the frame that every time you winched the front end off the ground, it damaged (bent) the P.O.S. screen thing on the frame.... THis new stuff bolted right on in front of whatever I already had. You could I guess get my new unit on in front of an existing fairlead, no problem. So what I'm saying is the new fairlead bolts right on the bashplate to a flange that is designed for it. I guess you could feed thru both.

Aluminum Products sells the bashplates and stuff, check out the pictures on their website.

Old 05-08-2004, 09:14 PM
Range Rover

Tyrann, take a look in my pics, there's a close up of my Armordillo, and a side by side pic of it next to factory skids. Hope this helps! Good luck.

Old 05-08-2004, 10:29 PM
Trailblazer

Fifth where do I find your pics? I can't find your name in the gallery? No pics in profile? Just curious? Thanks for taking the time to capture a few shots for me to see..
Cheers!

Old 05-08-2004, 11:18 PM
Range Rover

Still waiting for approval, for some reason...

Old 05-09-2004, 12:22 PM
Pro Rider

its veiwable now there ace..

Old 05-09-2004, 12:27 PM
Trailblazer

Excellent!! Awesome job Fifth for showing the difference between factory and the armadillo skid plates! It's nice to see how it mounts and where it sits on the bike! I emailed Richard at all terrain charleys and asked if there were any problems with these skid plates from people? He said never had one complaint about them.. Told me he had some in stock.. Getting mine on Wednesday! Worse comes to worse I'll put a bash plate or something in front to cover top edge! As for A- arm Guards, are you using the factory ones on your Machine? Is there such a thing as Swing Arm armor or skid for the rear? Thanks again for the pics! I saved them for reference!!
Maybe you can get comission or something!! LOL!

Quick Reply: Anyone have an Armadillo Skid Plate?