Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Clutch problems

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2004, 12:04 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch problems

Hi there. I have a kfx 400 and I am having some problems. My quad is not driving. I think I am getting it in gear but when I give it some acceleration I am not going anywhere. I am told that I may have to adjust the clutch. Can anyone give me some advice on how to do this? Also, is there any other things that I need to be looking at that may be causing this problem? Thanks!

Old 05-20-2004, 12:36 AM
Pro Rider
Default Clutch problems

Welcome to the forums.

Your 400 goes into gear like normal but wont go anywhere when you let out on the clutch ? Well this couold be simple or not. First we need to make sure it goes into gear. Pull it into 2nd with the motor off and push it. If it wont go anywhere then we have that part done. If it goes into gear with it running and when you engage your clutch it should move , even a little . I have never seen a clutch go that far out . This sounds to be more than just a simple clutch problem. Up on your handle bars at your clutch handle there will be an adjustement **** turn it counter clockwise and watch the clutch arm on the right side of your motor it should move toward the rear of your 400. It wont take much to make it move so look closely. I would suggest having someone familiar with this to help you. Hope this helps

Old 05-20-2004, 12:36 AM
Pro Rider
Default Clutch problems

how long have you ridden it or had it for. and ya that could be it. after awhile your cable stretches out and you have to play with the length
.its pretty much just like adjusting brakes on a bike. is the clutch handle wobbleyas in play like back and forth?

Old 05-20-2004, 12:38 AM
Pro Rider
Default Clutch problems

uh ya what he said. that was very well explained!

Old 05-20-2004, 01:10 AM
Trailblazer
Default Clutch problems

Hi Jennifer, I can't quite pinpoint your problem, but it sounds like your clutch is released all the time, or you have something broken inside your motor. Does the clutch lever feel like it has the normal springy pull as it did when you first got the quad. Make sure there is a little free-play in the clutch lever. To get free-play in the clutch lever you have to adjust the **** where the cable goes into the lever. There will be a locking nut that holds the cable adjusting bolt tight againts the lever perch. Loosen the lock nut and turn the bolt that the cable goes through clockwise until you get free-play in the lever You want about a half inch of play at the end of the lever, If you have play in the lever you should be able to start the engine, pull the lever in, put it in gear, release the clutch and gooooooooo. If you can't, you have a more serious clucth problem. Most likely the preasure plate bolts would have to be sheared off, or a broken clutch shaft. Oh make sure the primary drive chain sprocket is still on the shaft that comes out of the motor. I hope all tthis helps you.. venforcer.