Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

badlands vs bighorns

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2004, 12:38 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default badlands vs bighorns

ok..first..yes this is a beat to death question..but..where the hey do I find these for a decent price and whos are the best..nyrocs sent a link for the badlands and they are a good price but I cant seem to locate a site for the bighorns..atm Im looking at the badlands xtrs because they really do have a killer price on them..any thoughts??
Im really considering xtrs on type 4 c-series rims..should look sweet..lol .
{edit} well..the xtrs are 20 bux cheaper....hmm..and what would be considered reasonable for the c-series rims..im not dumpin 90 a peice on them..noway..

Old 05-27-2004, 04:34 PM
Pro Rider

try poorboystires.com for the bighorns. that was the cheapest place i could find them. or look up mike penland for used bighorns.

147.5f/152.5r jets
.033 on needles
dynatek cdi
epi black
700p drive spring
plow
warn 2000lb
home made receiver system
bighorn's

Old 05-28-2004, 10:12 AM
Trailblazer

poorboystires.com , what a name,funny.
BudO

Old 05-28-2004, 11:06 AM
Pro Rider

Bighorns are tougher than most tires since the tread is 50% closed. But they are expensive and quite heavy.

I do recommend the badlands. I have only ridden them once but they are great.

Old 05-28-2004, 12:08 PM
Pro Rider

Nyroc, How are the badlands in the mud? I only occasionally find mud but I would like to get through it when I find it. The tread alone would suggest that the bighornes are much better in the mud. Is that so?

Old 05-28-2004, 12:39 PM
Pro Rider

im probably going with the XTR's as 55 and 60 bux per tire is a hard price to beat...still looking for the c-rims..found them for 70 or so each..still hoping to find them cheaper..lol..

Old 05-28-2004, 01:47 PM
Pro Rider

I would get the Badlands over the XTR's mainly due to my ruiding preferences. I don't want the wide front, and the badlands are a little better in the mud.

I do not know if the bighorns are any better in the mud. They probably are a little better, but the badlands are going to be so much more fun and better handling to to the lighter weight than bighorns that I woulnd't consider them. I have mudrunners that are slightly heavier as heavy and are even better in the mud.

Tire weight makes you slow, bounces around more on bumps, makes your handling more slow.

Old 05-28-2004, 03:55 PM
Pro Rider

heya nyroc..the badlands are the xtrs'..am i missing something??

Old 05-28-2004, 07:49 PM
Pro Rider

I see it just a little different then Nyroc, and didn't I read in a post also? You use your Web Site to help you get Discounts and Free Products Nyroc? I don't blame you if you do? My Site has come in handy also~lol But I just wanted to chime in because you had to get them Badlands for free? or at a great price to compare them to Maxxis Big Horns!~lol. Nothing personal and I don't mean to bust your chops! But Most of what the Carlisle Tire Company makes are 2 and 3 ply Industrial, tractor, golf cart and basic utility tires. The quality is no where near Maxxis. They even try to set there quailty apart under another name?~lol. Its like compairing a Kia to a Corvette!~lol. Ive owned some Carlisle brand and they where really just a very basic and inexpensive soft trail tires, for lite trail riding. I guess they might be a better choice over there Holeshot ATRs? that it looks like Carlisle is knocking off anyway, But there knocking off there own tire?~lol Well they cost less?~LOL. Whats up with that anyway? I guess most dont know there one in the same? Well Putting a tire like Badlands up against a tire like The Big Horns, come on! The Maxxis Tire Line is geared so much to Our Sport! unlike the very large and very different Carlisle. When it comes to my Prairie I try to buy the best and go with a Company that's focus is really on ATV's, Racing, Top of the Line Products and Customer Service! I don't buy my top of the line tires and products from Walmart~LOL (They carry Carlisle in my area.) Don't get me wrong, Maybe The Badlands make for a nice lite trail riding tire but more then just weight I would question the sidewalls on them and im sure they will have the same problems as there brother? Its funny people talk about weight all the time too? they put giant cargo boxes on the back, Add bulky bolt on bumpers and carry all kinds of stuff on there quads, and then say I don't want heavy tires?~LOL. On a 600lb Quad with a 200lb plus rider, 10 or 20 lbs in total tire weight really makes NO difference! With the Maxxis Big Horn radials being about 6 to 8 lbs per tire over the Badlands, My Prairie is no slower or handles less better because of a little more tire weight. Both front and rear are 6 ply not 4 and 6 like Badland Holeshots, They have a very aggressive pattern and much thicker side walls, Thicker all around Tire meaning a little more weight maybe? Oh and made better? I dont know about you? most of my flats have been from kissing rocks or roots on the sidewalls so being strong there is VERY important to me! I Beleave the Quality, Design, Strength, Handling of The BIG HORNS is why most ALL of the Professional Racers in utility class run them! I know its why I do! and remember you get what you pay for? Again I dont mean to bust your chops its just my opinion. ~coop

www.MarylandATV.com

Prairie 700
TRX 2-something-R
And a bunch of other Toyz!

Old 05-30-2004, 10:43 PM
Pro Rider

Marylandatv, lets see where to begin here. I guess will go down the list with your "completely wrong" post.

First of all nyroc has the best "by far" Kawasaki website on the internet. I know for a fact he as spent countless hours on it to get it where it is today. The only free things he has gotten has been the Progressive springs from Mike Penland, dyantek cdi from Sgtrock, the DG3 from Don and the Dalton primary springs that I used to do my spring test last September. The only THING he asked for was the Dalton springs. The other "FREE" things nyroc did not ask for, they were just sent. He has never gotten any free tires. I also know for a fact the he bought his Badland radials because I recommended them to him a week before we went riding.

As far as quality goes you are wrong when you say the Badland radials are not of the quality that the Bighorns are. I rode the tires and can honestly say I would rather have them than my ATRs. I know you talked about Carlisle vs Maxxis but you are also refering to these two tires. You obviously have no clue to the performance of the Badland radial.

I also disagree with you about unsprung weight being of little importance. Every pound of unsprung weight is equal to approximatly 10 pounds of carrying weight. The badlands weigh 15 and 20 lbs respectively and that totals 70 lbs of weight or 700 lbs of carrying weight. The Bighorn radials weigh 22 and 27 lbs respectively for a total weight of 98 lbs or 980 lbs of carrying weight. Thats a 280 lb difference, is that not important?

As far as utility class racers using the Bighorn radials I would like to know who? Not even Mike Pendland uses the Bighorn Radial, he uses the Bias-ply version. Can you guess why he chooses to use the bias-ply vs the radial??? One word, "WEIGHT"! Everyone knows the bias-ply is not offered anymore so the radial version is the one people will be getting. So you will have to compare the Badland weight to the Bighorn radial weight.

I never rode the Bighorn radials, I cant comment on their ride and Im not downing them at all but I can comment on their weight and the quality and performance of the Badlands. I have thought about posting a reply for a few days now and finally decided to.

Quick Reply: badlands vs bighorns