Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Dialing in the "little" Prairie...

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2004, 10:21 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dialing in the "little" Prairie...

Well... big mud race next weekend... last year I neglected our 300 Prairie, on which my wife had been unbeaten over the last 2 years in the mens mid sized 4 X 4 class... she got beat by a 400 Honda... MOMMA wasn't happy... SO, I spent a day looking everything over & dialing in the 300 for the race... I bypassed the neutral start safety switch, installed our "special" little tires... & had intended to add a few shims to the Primary clutch... I'll admit that, while I've had the 750's clutch open & apart several times, i've never worked on the "little" Prairies... it has a 3 weight Primary, typical of a Comet clutch... when I pulled the primary spring, I was shocked... it had a very heavy spring in stock... I pulled out my spring assortment for the 750, & using my hands & eyes, the stock 300 Prairie spring was closest to the Dalton Orange / Blue that I have, & I installed the Orange / Blue, & really didn't notice much difference... several spring changes followed, & I finally settled on the Polaris Brown... It had enough stall, to launch the little 300... I could probably pull wheelies with it now... quite a feat for a little 300, with such a big fat rider ( refering to me of course, not MOMMA )... the top speed actually seemed to gain a few mph, so I'm comfortable that the spring is not binding... MOMMA's much happier now...

I may even try the 300 Prairie spring in my 750... like I said earlier, it seams to be close in coil size & low end pressure, to the Dalton Orange / Blue ??? maybe in my spare time... LOL...