Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

popping Prarie

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2004, 10:48 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default popping Prarie

Hey guys I have been reading post here for some time, have gotten some good info, and now I have a question of my own. I recently put some backup (driving lights ) on my 650 Prarie. I tryed several different ways , tying into the reverse light on the instrument pod, puting a relay on the wire (5 volt) couldn't find one that would pull in below 6V, sooo... I ended up putting a small contact switch with an extended little arm on it on the side of the airbox, so that when you put it in reverse the shift lever activate the switch. this works great. It 's clean and out of the way. The power for the lights is coming from the acc. plug under the right front fender. There is one in the back under the left fender on the frame also.(for anyone who might want to know.) Any how the problem is tonight I took it out for a trial run and every thing seemed fine until I let off the gas a little. It popped out of gear, and sounded as if it were grinding half in half out. I thought this might have been a onetime thing until it did it again and again . Each time it seemed to do it when I let off the throttle. I am sure somehow I must have gotten it out of adjustment , but who knows??? Any help would be appreciated ; Thanks[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

Old 06-12-2004, 11:50 PM
Pro Rider
Default popping Prarie

It sounds like your reverse light switch may be interfering with your shifter, but most likely it is loose motor mounts Nyroc has posted on how important it is to check them for tightness.

Old 06-20-2004, 01:00 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default popping Prarie

Well today I got a chance to check the motor mounts and they seemed tight,(i have no idea what torque value they have) . Anyway I went for a ride and it was still doing the same thing. So I held the shifter in place and under load every thing was fine , but when I let off it would pop out of gear, not exactly nuetral and not drive ether. More like (G) as in grind. Please help... Its has got to be something simple right ; right ;right; somebody please tell me the "good " news. This thing only has like 350 miles on it, and I mean easy hunting type miles, not ripping thru the mud trying to tear something to peices miles.

Old 06-20-2004, 05:32 AM
Range Rover
Default popping Prarie

why dont ya try taking off the switch you just put on and see if it does the same thing?????

Old 06-20-2004, 09:28 AM
Trailblazer
Default popping Prarie

Sounds like your shift linkage is out of adjustment. Mine did the exact same thing about 6 months ago.. I just put it in neutral and adjusted one way until light went out, then went the other way until the light went out, and then adjusted to the center of those two spots. If you play with it for awhile you will figure it out. But like the others said, check the switch first.

Old 06-21-2004, 02:15 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default popping Prarie

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img] Hey guys I finally figured it out after much tinkering with the linkage removing the switch I had installed and still nothing , I test drove it without the plastic peice that kind of holds the shifter in gear, and what do you know... It ran fine , no problems. SO I decided it must have something to do with that peice. I got to looking at it and realized there might be a front and back to it . Sure enough the back ( or the notch for reverse ) has a tiny little tit on it ; really just a dot , but that is supose to be a reference point. Well even though I feel really stupid about this I figure I might as well share with everyone; maybe save someone else all that headache.... Oh yea if someone would please explain how to import a picture I would show you exactly what parts I am talking about. Thanks.