Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

first attempt..

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2004, 03:51 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default first attempt..

Im going to make my first attempt at rejetting my quad(despite my sig..i havent done it yet)..anyone have any suggestions for the rookie attempt?

Old 06-14-2004, 04:08 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default first attempt..

Go buy yourselves some allen head screws BEFORE you attempt to rejet. Chances are good that you will strip at least 1 of the stock, brass carb bowl screws...so its a good idea to have the allen head screws to replace them when you put everything back together. Also, its a good idea to have a new, sharp set of screwdrivers to remove the stock, brass screws. Once you rejet it once or twice, you will find that its not really hard to do at all.

Good luck and happy trails...[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 06-14-2004, 04:13 PM
Pro Rider
Default first attempt..

hey thanks..any idea where i can obtain those screws..i got special mac tools made ratcheting angle screw drivers just for the occasion....

Old 06-14-2004, 07:04 PM
Pro Rider
Default first attempt..

i just did mine this weekend. you definately want those replacement screws! the rear was a piece of cake to do without taking the carbs off. the front was a b@stard i wound up taking the carbs off to get to it (wasnt really that bad just make sure you clamp all the lines so you dont have a mess all over)

i got the screws at home depot, i got the 4mm x 12mm screws they are a little small but work ok if you can find 4mm x 14mm then go with those.

Old 06-14-2004, 07:14 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default first attempt..

I think I bought the 4mm x 16mm allen head screws from my local home depot or lowes and then I also used some tiny washers to make it work. I seem to recall that 4mm x 14mm is the ideal size.

Old 06-15-2004, 01:09 AM
Pro Rider
Default first attempt..

The float bowl screws are cad plated, not brass. 4x14 mm is an oddball size, hard to get. I used 4x16 stainless allens. I don't know who started the idea that you can't use stainless in the aluminum carb , anything other than aluminum is a dissimilar metal, inviting electrolysis. What about all the other steel bolts into aluminum ? A very small amount of anti-seize, or oil will help prevent this. Just about all fasteners should be installed with some sort of lube.

Old 06-15-2004, 08:24 AM
Pro Rider
Default first attempt..

thanks for the heads up on the screws..what do you do if you do strip one..someone mentioned that they are in way too tight..if It strips then how the hell do you get them out..i dont have anything for removing stripped screws..sounds like a royal B#$%h..ill be pissed if that happens..are there any tools made to remove tiny stripped bolts?

Old 06-15-2004, 08:38 AM
Range Rover
Default first attempt..

If you strip any screw's out you might have to take the carb's off and use needle nose vicegrip pliers to get them out. I have had my carb bowl's off a few times with no problem. It helps if you remove the fuel petcock and the CVT rear vent tube. Good luck.

Old 06-15-2004, 09:05 AM
Pro Rider
Default first attempt..

now its sounding like work lol

Old 06-15-2004, 10:51 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Default first attempt..

Get yourself a 'screw extractor' set and throw in your toolbox. They are pretty cheap and worth thier weight in gold if you get stuck with a severly stripped screw or bolt head.

Quick Reply: first attempt..