Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

kawasaki strikes out (imo)

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2004, 02:14 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default kawasaki strikes out (imo)

kawasaki had THE best quad in the prairie 700, it had an awesome combo of power, handling and 4x4 capability. sure its still gonna be offered(could be wrong???) but now-a-days manufactuers are make bigger and better so the prairie wont be as dominate, with efi involved now in quads that gives the prairie even more of a handicap, so pretty soon it will be a none issue just like the grizz, it used to be number 2 now nobody talks about it, unless they(yamaha) totally overhauls the grizz you'll be seeing more of em in the classifieds then on the trail. Now dont get me wrong i love the idea kawasaki is making a totally new machine in the brute force, but no EFI?? wats up with that, EFI is a top dollar thing in all the new wheelers, so whey not add it and have the ulitmate quad ever?And my last thing is IRS, are you kidding me?? when i think of kawasaki i think big bore, sport handling "like" machines and the way to get sport handling is just plain having a SRA. the prairie is one of the best machines of all time and it just seems like kawie is shying away from what made them great and going with the crowd by putting IRS on this great machine, granted the looks and tons of plastic worry me but that doesent take away from the fact its got a great enigine and advancements. but dont take this as being cocky or me dissin kawasaki im just expressing my opinion and stll love kawasaki.

Old 06-18-2004, 03:31 AM
Pro Rider

I really couldn't care less about whether it has EFI or not. That's just one more thing to go wrong the way I look at it, and that's the way I'll continue to look at it until the EFI systems on these new quads are proven by the only true test: time. You say everyone else is going the route of EFI, but really it's only Polaris and Suzuki on one of their machines each for now. The new Grizzly doesn't have it and neither does the Rincon so that takes care of the major players except for Arctic Cat and Bombardier. However, I do agree with you on the IRS issue. What is so great about IRS? Quads are simply not heavy enough to make it work like it's intended to. I would much rather have a sporty ride with less maintanence than a spongy ride prone to overzealous body roll and more parts to worry about failing. If you can't consider the rides given by today's SRA quads as comfortable enough for you, why are you 4-wheeling? In my opinion, IRS is very overrated. The only area it truly shines is rock crawling and ground clearance. There are no other advantages I see that are great enough to justify it on the big utility quads these days.

RedGoblin= 2 cents

Old 06-18-2004, 03:31 AM
Pro Rider

I like the Brute, but I was also hoping for a 750cc SRA Prairie. I'll just have to make my own......

Old 06-18-2004, 08:09 AM
Range Rover

Mainly because of price. The thing is already as expensive as a car 7600$ list. If they added EFI it would be 8,000$. Too much IMO.

Old 06-18-2004, 10:56 AM
Range Rover

Some machines (now the Brute Force included) might not have EFI, but they will. You make a good point, RedGoblin, about EFI being one more thing to go wrong and someone else in another thread brought up the point about doing field repairs on a EFI system as opposed to carburators. I'm not the mechanic most of you guys are, but I could do some degree of repair on a carburated system. On an EFI system, I'd be lost. On the other hand, I look at my wife's 1995 Astro Van which has EFI and it has never had even a hint of an EFI problem in 150,000 miles. It seems to me that the EFI technology has matured to the point where its as reliable as any other part of a vehicle (in many cases, more so). For me personally, I want EFI on my next quad. Its time.

As to the IRS and SRA.....I want both. Yeah...while unrealistic, I'd almost pray to a machine in my garage that after backing my quad into, would swap one out for the other. Overall, I prefer the SRA, but there are times when the plush ride of an IRS would be nice.

Sometimes I want TOO much. (Well...most of the time.)

Moo,
WheelCow

Old 06-18-2004, 11:32 AM
Pro Rider

EFI?? I don't feel I need it, because I can troubleshoot my way thru a Carbuerator, in the field. I can make it work to get me home, BUT EFI...it ain't rocket science technology, but from my experience in automobiles, when it hiccups, you call the tow truck and your on your way back to the dealer!.

Carbuerators work great, they are easy to rejet and modify, change out with aftermarket kit or whole new assemblies. I can buy a new carb for three hundred bucks, I wonder how much an EFI carb costs.

So if EFI stuff is produced fine, But if I was in the new quad market (and I'm not right now) I could just as easily buy a carbuerated unit, as long as it had a SRA!

Old 06-18-2004, 12:48 PM
Pro Rider

on these new EFI quads. Can you mod them (twin air,dgsnorkel, exhaust, and stuff) with out doing any thing to the carb? i mean will it automatically make up for it?

Old 06-18-2004, 01:06 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Originally posted by: RedGoblin
I really couldn't care less about whether it has EFI or not.
Just another cost increaser + something else too mess up. When the EFI ingests a particle of dust the ride will be over.

Old 06-18-2004, 02:15 PM
Trailblazer

it's called the BBD.. Bigger Better Deal. Quads will evolve and get better. if you thought the quad makers would stop at your 700 mark your crazy. I'm willing to bet before the end of 2007 there will be a 1000cc quad. just like anything else out quad will get bigger and better. If you wana stay on top of the sene you will be trading up for a new one every 3 years. So while your Pairie is a great quad. and will be for many years. they will make a better one, and a beter one, and a better one, and soon your Pairie will be old news. then if you care about that so much go and buy the best thing on the market and you will be #1 again.. thats what i do.. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 06-18-2004, 02:23 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: tommyboy84
on these new EFI quads. Can you mod them (twin air,dgsnorkel, exhaust, and stuff) with out doing any thing to the carb? i mean will it automatically make up for it?
I'm not sure about Suzuki, but on Polaris's EFI system I'm fairly certain you have to take it into a dealership and have them plug it into a computer and adjust it. I know that's what you have to do if something goes wrong.

Quick Reply: kawasaki strikes out (imo)