Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Back from vacation, report on the Brute. UPDATED AT BOTTOM of first post

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2004, 07:24 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Back from vacation, report on the Brute

INTRODUCTION:
My wife and I are in our late 20’s. I bought a P360 for putting around, my wife had no desire to ride ATV’s until she went with a group of riders. After that she wanted one bad, a few weeks later I bought her a P650. She has ridden it in some extreme terrain and loved every minute. Our favorite riding is technical trails that require finess. About 2 months ago I was racing her 650 against a new Grizzly and lost control in a corner, the bike and I hit a tree at 50+ MPH, I broke my shoulder but my helmet saved my life. The bike sustained serious front end damage. I have since repaired the bike to new condition my self but did not feel right having her ride a previously wrecked bike so I am selling the 360 and will be riding her 650. I bought her a camo 750 and have promised not to ride it[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] My wife and I took a 9 day vacation to a cabin in north Idaho and rode everyday. Hear is my findings:

OVERALL IMPRESSION:
Engine: The power is night and day compared to the 650, much stronger throughout the entire powerband.

Transmission: The transmission seems to have lower gearing than the 650, the 650 does have a black spring in it and 26” Mudlites.

KEBC: Downhill braking on the 750 is much more pronounced than the 360 or 650

Suspension: The brute takes some getting used to in corners, it seems to take higher speed corners on fireroads better if the throttle is used instead of coasting around like the 650 prefers. For slow riding it is awesome. I have always heard that IRS is more tippy on off-camber situations, I found this just the opposite. In places where I had my wife spot the 650 across a tippy section and was lifting a tire, the Brute just lumbered along.

Fuel consumption: at 60 miles of slow riding the bottom fuel bar was showing.

RIDE QUALITY: My wife weighs 125 pounds and I found that the best setting for her was the softest, when at the 3rd setting she had difficulty making the supsion work when crossing downed trees or large rocks. I was running the stock Dunflops at 6 pounds (I was worried about a bead popping with the soft sidewalls), new tires should help.

FIT AND FINISH: Much better plastic and fitment than the 2002 650, I love the way my 360 looks compared to the 650 and think the 750 has borrowed some of it’s traits (such as the fender humps). I was not sure about the plastic floorboards but after riding the quad I love them, they seem to grip my feet better, we will see how they hold up. I am worried about the black trim on the front fenders, where the two join the black sticks out a half inch and is begging to grab onto trees and brush. Several bolts wher not torqued down correctly, if you buy a brute check ALL of the bolts soon!

COMPARISON BETWEEN THE BRUTE FORCE, P650 AND P360:
I enjoy much 360 much more than the 650 in the tight woods, it gets around much better and had better ground clearance, the Brute feels much more like a 360 than the 650 in terms of steering and riding through technical terrain.

RECOMMENDED CHANGES THAT KAWASAKI SHOULD TAKE: Get rid of the retarded pockes or make accessories that will work with the pockets such as nalgene bottle holders or a gps mount that fits in the pockets. I like the front rack now having a bar that prevents items from sliding back towards the gauge pods, I would like to see a bar on the front of the rack as well. More women are riding ATV’s, my wife would like to see more color choices such as a bright yellow or a blue. Soften the seat up like a Polaris or a Honda. I would also like to see Kawi stick to a standard rim off-set and stud spacing, my 360 rims will not work on the 650 and neither of those will work with the new Brute wheel pattern.

CONCLUSION: This bike was worth every cent, I am now contemplating selling the 650 for another 750. I sometimes think it is silling to pay this much for a toy but I guess you only live once.

UPDATE:
My wife reminded that I forgot one important complaint, engine heat!!! At speeds under 10 miles an hour the left hand side of the engine gets so hot it put first and almost second degree burns
on her leg through her military fatique pants she was wearing, the heat just boils out. One trail we did involved 2 hours of slow riding and we had to pour water on her leg to cool it.

She also reminded me that you cannot engage 4wd when backing up in reverse, you must be in a forward gear, my other to prairies will engage either way, defect or is everyones like this??

Old 08-04-2004, 07:52 PM
Pro Rider

Don't wait. Do it now, while you can. If you wait to decide, life will pass you by before you get to where you want to be.

Lite up that 'ol credit card and just go do it!

Old 08-04-2004, 08:06 PM
Range Rover

Sounds like you had a great vacation, my wife loves to ride as much as me or possibly more! It is perfect to help bond the marriage together. We just returned from Baja breaking in my new red Brute it is really a nice machine. We will be going back in a few weeks to try out my new dg3 and six degree key, I cant wait
Tonto

Old 08-05-2004, 01:04 AM
Pro Rider
Default Back from vacation, report on the Brute. UPDATED AT BOTTOM of first post

I wonder if you can compare the P650 to the BF750 and say you've done your homework. P700 is preferred over the BF750 by some.

Old 08-05-2004, 01:11 AM
Pro Rider
Default Back from vacation, report on the Brute. UPDATED AT BOTTOM of first post

Originally posted by: BUDXXX
Don't wait. Do it now, while you can. If you wait to decide, life will pass you by before you get to where you want to be.

Lite up that 'ol credit card and just go do it!
Bud, you and I would probably get along pretty well.

Old 08-05-2004, 03:07 AM
Range Rover

I bought her a camo 750 and have promised not to ride it
Yet you wrote an excellent review...hmmmm...LOL [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 08-05-2004, 12:03 PM
Trailblazer

kawiyowee, here is my impressions comparing the P650 and 750.

The 750 starts much easier than the 650 ever has.

In either low or hi gear the 650 takes some throttle to get it rolling, trying that same amount of throttle on the 750 will end up with a monster wheelie, it has that much more torque and power and seems better off the start.

The 750's handlebar position is much better for me, I prefer an upright stance verses what feels like riding my Ninja when sitting on the 650.

I do like the p650 metal bumper better than the plastic covered bars of the 750, hopefully warn will be making a metal replacement for those plastic covers.

The headlights on the 750 are like mini off-road spot lights, when riding during they day you can still see the lights ahead of you when riding in the shadows, I cannot say the same for the poor lighting of the 650. During bear hunting season this year I had contemplated adding a set of KC daylighters to the 650 to aid in night trail riding after we checked our bear baits.

The one thing that a stock 650 has over a stock 750 is METAL skid plates, why would Kawi put plastic skids on their "BRUTE FORCE"? as soon as an aftermarket skid is available it will be the first thing to be put on the quad.

If I someone was giving me a free quad and I had my choice it would be the 750, even if I could get the 750 motor in a prairie frame I would still take the Brute Force. For my type of mountain goat trail riding it is much more suited.

Let me know if you have any specific questions.
Jerry

Old 08-05-2004, 12:12 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i think they put metal on the prairie cuz it didn't have much ground clearance so they would of had to on the prairie not with the brute force having alot of clearance thats y they put plastic on it

Old 08-05-2004, 12:26 PM
Trailblazer

kawasaskirules, you may very well be correct, or Kawi was trying to keep the weight limit down. Either way I hate the plastic, no matter how much grouch clearance you have you WILL drag on something if you are riding the machine to its full potential.

Old 08-05-2004, 12:43 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Awsome review dude. Sounds like you both had a great trip. I would get the 2nd 750 NOW. If you wait, it might be too late. Thanks for the review and have run ridding.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: Back from vacation, report on the Brute. UPDATED AT BOTTOM of first post