Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

help p700 broke

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2004, 07:17 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help p700 broke

No it is not the belt switch, We actually replaced the hole clutch cover.

Old 08-11-2004, 09:31 PM
Pro Rider
Default help p700 broke

There is a fuse under the seat that gets a little loose on the 700's for some reason I think its a 10 amp but not sure, it needs to be pulled out and checked, it is probably not bad. its just loose this is a fairly common thing to happen I have found out recently when one of ours did the same thing. We pulled the fuse out, it was good and put it back in and everthing was ok. I later ran across the info below on a tech tips sight that said just about the same thing that happened to us. I would try this befor taking to the dealer. If we would of had this info we would have had problem solved in less time than it take to load the thing in the truck.
ps. the Factory manual says nothing about trouble shooting this problem other than whats on pg 38. We figured this out by just checking the fuse, it was good so we put it back in and everthing was fine. I ran across this article below I feel at this point it must have just came loose when we were taking video of our selfs doing wheeleeees. that extra pounding of setting the front end down must have knocked it a little loose.

Page 38 of manual says:

flashing 2wd/4wd indicator lights signal a malfunction of the kawasaki engine brake control system or the selectable 2wd/4wd system. A flashing interval of 0.5 seconds indicates a malfunction with the 2wd/4wd actuator, a 1 second interval indicates the KEBC actuator is malfunctioning, a 2 second interval indicates both actuators are malfunctioning.

Apparently, the fuses under the seat could be to blame for many people's flashing lights. So, before you waste time and energy diagonosing problems with the 4x4 selector and KEBC, try this tip from OldmanWheeler:

"Pull out each fuse and take a pair of pliers and just barely twist the ends of the fuse. I also took a small screw driver and tweaked the clips in the box. The idea is to make sure the fuse fit real tight. Once you have a tight fit use a small screw driver to place die-electric grease between the fuse contacts. Once that is done I filled the cap, closed it and filled all openings. Once this was done I never had any more problems. According to the Kaw person who told me how to fix this, it's been a problem, especially on the new P700's"

Old 08-11-2004, 09:35 PM
Pro Rider
Default help p700 broke

also check your battery terminals....if the loose they cause the EBC to do all kinds of odd things..limp mode trip included

Old 08-12-2004, 04:12 AM
Trailblazer
Default help p700 broke

We checked the fuses even replaced the fuse box. No fix.

Old 08-12-2004, 07:51 AM
Pro Rider
Default help p700 broke

OK, I did some "homework" last night. THIS INFO comes from a 02 KVF650 manual. I HOPE it is valid for trhe KVF700 application.
The 2 sec interval flash indicates that the trouble is in the KEBS actuator system. Since it makes noise, I will assume that that the KEBS actuator is good.Check for batt. volts across the controller's #9 and #10 terminals, this is supply in to the system. Get out your service manual, and go to the wiring diagrams. Check the speed sensor circuit for the proper reference volts(0-4.8 VDC) depends on rear wheel speed. Check the FWD/REV sensor. Check all the component grounds. If this all checks OK, replace the controller(brain).
Do the basics first. Check the battery terminals, esp. the ground. Check/replace the appropriate fuse(s). Improper voltage will drive this system wacko.Trace the wiring harness, to make sure there is no physical damage.
Let us know what you find............................

Old 08-12-2004, 10:12 AM
Pro Rider
Default help p700 broke

I guess I'll repeat myself,,,,
What mods if any have been done to this quad????????????? This may sound like a dumb question but I would like to know,,, I have an idea but untill I know the mods I can't say! !!!

Old 08-12-2004, 03:17 PM
Trailblazer
Default help p700 broke

No mods besides tires and wheels. The bike must of had a roll over by the look of the bent rack.

Old 08-12-2004, 04:07 PM
Pro Rider
Default help p700 broke

ROLLOVER???? As in damaged LCD unit maybe? Did you plug another one of those in?

Old 08-12-2004, 05:06 PM
Pro Rider
Default help p700 broke

"Pull out each fuse and take a pair of pliers and just barely twist the ends of the fuse. I also took a small screw driver and tweaked the clips in the box. The idea is to make sure the fuse fit real tight. Once you have a tight fit use a small screw driver to place die-electric grease between the fuse contacts. Once that is done I filled the cap, closed it and filled all openings. Once this was done I never had any more problems. According to the Kaw person who told me how to fix this, it's been a problem, especially on the new P700's"

The reason I am repeating that quote is that as far as I know Kawi has not improved there fuse box and fuse connections. So what I am thinking is just because the fuse box and fuses have been replace if they are not making good contact, then the same problem will continue to be there, and the above fix should improve the contacts the fuses are trying to make. We were having this same problem on a 2004 Twin Peaks with less than 7 hrs on it so its fuse box and fuses were just aout as new as than can get. This particular Twin Peaks was bilt the first week in april of this year. thats why I say I doubt Kawi has improved the fuse box any since the ones setting in the kawi parts depots are probably just as old or older than the ones used in production.

Old 08-12-2004, 07:26 PM
Trailblazer
Default help p700 broke

unplugged lcd like kawi suggested. no change. Took fuse box out of working machine and no change. Thanks for the suggestions, any others.

Quick Reply: help p700 broke