Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Anyone start BF with pull Rope?

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2004, 09:02 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone start BF with pull Rope?

Originally posted by: mikeames
Yup, I had the same problem and I'm a pretty big guy. Of course it only had about 30 min. TT on the engine. I'm thinking (and hopeing) that the engine will loosen up a little over time. The pulling it through the compression idea is a good thought too, I'll have to try that.As it is, I couldn't pull it over even near fast enough to start it even when warm.
The BF does have an auto-decompressor.

I've pull started my BF once, and I was actually suprised at the ease of it. One strong pull and it was running. I probably just got lucky and hit it just past the compression stroke.

Old 08-11-2004, 09:41 PM
Trailblazer

man I just got in. I ran down road with it and came back. Then I tried taking it past compression and pulling it. Got a good pull but no fire. tired again and again a good pull not even a fire. next pull almost ripped my arm off. There cant be a auto decompression on this thing. All I can say is dont go out with a half a$$ battery !! That is just great a useless pull starter.

Old 08-11-2004, 09:44 PM
Weekend Warrior

Colmac, the pull start works fine when everything is working. Key on? Kill switch on? In neutral?

Old 08-11-2004, 09:54 PM
Trailblazer

oh yeah, I checked all that. In fact I started it with the electric then turned off the key, turned the key back on and tired to pull start it until I was worn out [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
I think most of it is I am not pulling it fast enough when I am out side the compression stroke. There is no way I can pull it on a compression. I had a 500 yamaha
log time back that would break your leg or come close too it if you tried to kick it over with out setting the decompression on. This thing is about like that but it
pulls you into it.

Old 08-11-2004, 10:02 PM
Trailblazer

Flareside,
are you saying you can pull start yours?. what do you do to do that? I have tried it with it pretty hot too. wont even fire. put if I hit the starter after pulling it fires right up.

Old 08-11-2004, 10:04 PM
Trailblazer

huh, i pulled it so many times I am seeing wear on the rope! I wonder if there is something wrong with the pull starter mech?

Old 08-11-2004, 10:25 PM
Trailblazer

Gezzz, I can barely breath. I just started it. I don’t believe what I had to do. After pulling it like 10 times, I took a small hand towel and grabbed it by diagonal corners with one hand. I placed the point at the fold (middle of towel) around the puller handle. I then pulled on the towel. Gave me a MUCH better grip on the thing and I could pull with a lot more force. That rubber puller should be much bigger. But it started after about 5 pulls. I think it will start faster once I work out the technique. Well, I feel better now knowing I can start it. I will have to carry a freaking towel around though [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img] . Wrapping a towel on it also gave me much better leverage too and I didn’t have to lean down as much.

Old 08-12-2004, 12:07 AM
Trailblazer

I started mine 3 times in a row one pull each time with one hand, no problems.

Old 08-12-2004, 02:28 AM
Pro Rider

I can pull start mine sitting down. Sometimes, it's a real bear to start with the electric start, when it's hot. If I crank it for 10 seconds, and it doesn't start, I just pull the rope, and it starts first pull every time.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 08-12-2004, 01:17 PM
Trailblazer

if you can pull this brute force over with one hand your arm is big as a 55 gallon drum [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: Anyone start BF with pull Rope?