Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Help! KEBC actuator motor keeps trying to come on even with key turned off!

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2004, 01:34 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Help! KEBC actuator motor keeps trying to come on even with key turned off!

UPDATE:
I did the KEBC Reset Procedure as posted on Nyroc's website and the problem I had before has now stopped...BUT unfortunately, I am left with a new problem. The 2wd/4wd lights are flashing on the speedo display.

I looked at Nyroc's website and it mentions the typical problems of either the 2wd/4wd actuator being bad or the KEBC actuator being bad or both...and also says to check the connections in the fuse box FIRST. So I'm going to try to clean the fusebox now and see if that fixes it. If not, I'm taking it to the "Stealer" tomorrow cuz I really need to get this thing on the road again (I have a XC race coming up in 2 weeks!).

Happy trails...[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 08-28-2004, 02:19 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help! KEBC actuator motor keeps trying to come on even with key turned off!

hi there mate , i had a problem with my 02 650 prarie , the main fuse kept blowing , and also dash was doing crazy things including 2 and 4 wheel drive lights , i had it at the stealers 4 times , no joy !! i striped of plastics and found the fault near the steering colum , if you remove the view panel in front plastics for radiator cap , the wiring loom had rubbed through , once repaired it ran fine . shortly the fan fuse started blowing , i checked the same repair site and found another burnt wire , once repaired shes running strong , i just installed a dayco belt and epi black and pink , wot a difference , go got it , hope this helps mate

Old 08-28-2004, 05:47 PM
Weekend Warrior

the belt light on my 05 bf came on and i went nuts trying to figure out how to reset it. but then i went to nyrocs website and followed the o4 p700 directions for reseting the belt light and it worked, only on the bf the black and gray 5 pin connectors are really 4 pin connectors under the seat, and it does lose power when the belt light comes on, kind of like driving in reverse without the override. but thanks for posting great info nyroc.

Old 08-29-2004, 12:31 AM
Pro Rider

I thoroughly cleaned the fusebox and the connections on each of the 6 wires in the fuse box. Unfortunately, it did not make a difference and I dropped it off at the "stealer" this morning. I hope to get it back in about 10 days or less. I'll post back with what they determined was the problem.

Old 08-29-2004, 10:20 AM
Pro Rider

my actuator was doing the same thing and it turned out to be a bad sensor inside the actuator and the whole thing needed to be replaced

Old 08-30-2004, 12:48 PM
Pro Rider

Nightryder,
Do you recall how much the actuator cost? I'm just curious b/c I have not heard back from the "stealer" yet as to how much it will cost to replace the actuator (assuming that is the cause of the problem).

Old 08-30-2004, 01:05 PM
Pro Rider

Mine cost $300.00 last year, from my local dealer... that may have included the cost to diagnose the problem as well...

Old 09-03-2004, 06:50 PM
Pro Rider

UPDATE:
My "stealer" diagnosed the problem with my KEBC/2wd/4wd and determined that the KEBC actuator motor is bad. They are replacing the whole KEBC unit at a cost of parts plus 3 hours labor (at $65/hour). All in all, its about $400 or more. They said they tested the KEBC actuator motor by checking it for ohms and said it was way off, so the motor must be bad.

Unfortunately for me, they are also replacing my swingarm bearings (and the left/right swing arm shafts) at the cost of parts plus 5 hours labor. Total damage for KEBC motor and swingarm bearing replacement is $960! My wifey ain't going to be happy about this bill! The good news is that they expect to have it ready for me by next Friday so that I can hit my Sept 12th XC race! I sure hope its all done in time for the race.

Old 09-04-2004, 12:36 PM
Pro Rider

Ouch!!! I think I am going to print this one out and show it to my wife.... At least she will know I'm not the only one dropping $$ on a "toy".. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 11-12-2004, 04:34 PM
Pro Rider

I have the same problem, actuator keeps trying to return to home position after key is off, pulled fuse to stop. dealer replaced actuator motor, still does it. he's stumped. I replaced the CDI box with another one, it still does it. He is going to try the main brain bext, does anyone know if the "main brain" is the same as a CDI box? the dealer didn't know. It will be a waist of time if it is.

Quick Reply: Help! KEBC actuator motor keeps trying to come on even with key turned off!