Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

700 prarie screwing up help !!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2004, 11:15 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 700 prarie screwing up help !!!!!!

I have a brand spankin new prarie 700 04. I only have about 130 miles on the quad. It is starting to not stop, it continues to roll when im sitting still and the 4x4 indicator keeps flashing back and forth from the 2x4 indicator. If anyone has any clue on what this could be please let me know your feedback.
Thanks

Old 09-08-2004, 11:27 AM
Pro Rider

Sounds like the belt is not adjusted correctly....

I remember reading in the Manual that there is two or three flashing patterns that can sort of tell you a little info, when I get home I'll re-read that section and post back to you tonight or tommorrow. Unless somebody else here has the answer....

And all the brain power on this forum, I'd bet somebody beats me to it.

Old 09-08-2004, 11:31 AM
Weekend Warrior

thanks i would appreciate that i cant find my manual

Old 09-08-2004, 12:21 PM
Trailblazer

a high idle would cause it to move like that, I'm not positive but I remeber reading something about the flashing 4wd light, I thought it meant something like a problem with the engine brakeing system, I'm not sure though, I'll try to find it when I get home.

Old 09-08-2004, 03:48 PM
Trailblazer

I am pretty sure that the flashing between 2wd and 4wd is a fault with the engine breaking. Do a search for K.O.D.'s website, he will have the answer for you. Good Luck

Old 09-08-2004, 04:41 PM
Pro Rider

There is a fuse under the seat that gets a little loose on the 700's for some reason I think its a 10 amp but not sure, it needs to be pulled out and checked, it is probably not bad. its just loose this is a fairly common thing to happen I have found out recently when one of ours did the same thing. We pulled the fuse out, it was good and put it back in and everthing was ok. I later ran across the info below on a tech tips sight that said just about the same thing that happened to us. I would try this befor taking to the dealer. If we would of had this info we would have had problem solved in less time than it take to load the thing in the truck.
ps. the Factory manual says nothing about trouble shooting this problem other than whats on pg 38. We figured this out by just checking the fuse, it was good so we put it back in and everthing was fine. I ran across this article below I feel at this point it must have just came loose when we were taking video of our selfs doing wheeleeees. that extra pounding of setting the front end down must have knocked it a little loose.

Page 38 of manual says:

flashing 2wd/4wd indicator lights signal a malfunction of the kawasaki engine brake control system or the selectable 2wd/4wd system. A flashing interval of 0.5 seconds indicates a malfunction with the 2wd/4wd actuator, a 1 second interval indicates the KEBC actuator is malfunctioning, a 2 second interval indicates both actuators are malfunctioning.

Apparently, the fuses under the seat could be to blame for many people's flashing lights. So, before you waste time and energy diagonosing problems with the 4x4 selector and KEBC, try this tip from OldmanWheeler:

Pull out each fuse and take a pair of pliers and just barely twist the ends of the fuse. I also took a small screw driver and tweaked the clips in the box. The idea is to make sure the fuse fit real tight. Once you have a tight fit use a small screw driver to place die-electric grease between the fuse contacts. Once that is done I filled the cap, closed it and filled all openings. Once this was done I never had any more problems. According to the Kaw person who told me how to fix this, it's been a problem, especially on the new P700's"

PS. Ours to did the creaping thing when this was going on also, However a fast idel will cause that too.

Old 09-09-2004, 01:48 PM
Pro Rider

the Kawasaki Service manual page 17-79 outlines exactly what cc1999 says.

Whether or not you can fix it matters little in my opinion. Being brand spanking new, my dealer is going to be taking a look at a problem on a new machine....

Yeah it's probably a bad connection or something, but take back to dealer and make them be responsible for their product....