Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

belt life expectancy

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2004, 02:57 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default belt life expectancy

Just a quick question -
I have a 650 Prairie and a KFX 700
The 700's check belt light is on - I have read about the reset procedure but need to know the life expectancy - I don't want to just reset and forget it - then the belt blows apart in the middle of a ride
The 650's light has not gone on yet, but it will soon - it has almost 100 hours and 1000 miles
(The KFX 700 has no hour meter or odometer)

Any info would help!
Thanks
Gary

Old 09-08-2004, 06:07 PM
Trailblazer

as long as there isn't a pile of rubber in the bottom of the cover you should be fine, a visual inspection of the entire belt should let you know the condition of it, it helps to know what a new belt looks like but as long as it isn't starting to frey or look chewed up on the sides you should be fine [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]

Old 09-08-2004, 06:38 PM
Range Rover

OK - That makes sense ... just like evaluating a belt on a car, I guess, without the pile of rubber -

We are going to Hatfield McCoy in October - I am going to bring a new belt with me, but just didn't want to change it unless it was necessary

What symptoms should I expect when a belt is starting to fail? Slippage? Poor performance?
Burning rubber? All three?

Thanks for the help.

Gary C.

Old 09-08-2004, 08:14 PM
Pro Rider

What symptoms should I expect when a belt is starting to fail? Slippage? Poor performance?
when you see these symptons, you need to tighten your belt!!!!

when you are looking at the belt check you belt deflection. that will tell you how it doing. if its at the highend of deflection then tighten it, the more prevention you do now the longer the belt will last!

Old 09-08-2004, 10:00 PM
Pro Rider

I just changed my original 02 belt yesterday because it was chirping at tafeoff. and replaced with a 700 belt. The strange part is the belt looked as good as new. Wasnt freyed or worn, really wasnt even dirty. But was loose with all shims removed so I guess it just streched. Had the black spring on since it was 2 hours old. guess it helps.

Old 09-08-2004, 10:02 PM
Pro Rider

Mudder mine started squalking at about 500 miles when I would take off or when I was trying to back up any kind of a slope.It is a noise you will know.I went ahead and got a new belt and the other shims.Mine had the 1.4 mm shim from the factory which is the largest.I got a 1.0mm,.08 and 2 .06 shims.With the new belt I started with the 1.0 shim which had me at 22mm deflection.I just adjusted it again and dropped all the way down to one .06 shim.This was at 600 miles on this belt.I am looking at about 1500 miles at this rate.As far as inspecting it there is a measurement to see if it is within spec.Tightening it is not a big deal with the compressor.It only took me about 45 mins the second time.
When are you going to Hatfield/mcCoy?? I will be there in Oct also.If you have any questions fire away.I have been there several times and have ridden all the trails except the waterways trail.
02 650 camo

Old 09-08-2004, 10:36 PM
Pro Rider

Thats about right. I would say 1500 to 1800 would be avg belt life.

Old 09-08-2004, 10:41 PM
Range Rover

I have around 1100 miles on my P700, has black EPI spring for about the last 400 miles. Still has original belt and shim. Never had to adjust yet. Sounds like from other reports I may be getting close to adjustment or replacement.

Old 09-08-2004, 11:20 PM
Pro Rider

As long as you have the spacers you can always adjust the deflection out unless of coarse your deflection is in the low to mid 30mm range and you have the smallest spacer in.

Old 09-08-2004, 11:47 PM
Trailblazer

i have a 2003 p650 with 2200 miles and i am still running the original belt i still have a .08 shim installed so i know it should last out the rest of the year.. if you watch me ride you will know i ride as hard as anybody...i beleve the key is good belt life is ...first every 2nd or 3rd ride i pull the cover off and use a blow gun to clean out any and all dust..i do this as i also turn the clutch to make sure i got every part i can reach ..inside and out. i also check the shivs for grooving. and to make sure they are clean with mo mud or watter inside.(so far never had any) i run the EPI black spring , and have since first adjustment. it is very importent to keep the belt and clutch clean and free of bolth trail dust and belt dust... i'm hopeing to get close to 3000 miles out of the belt.. hope this helps

Quick Reply: belt life expectancy