Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Opening the floodgates - Advice on a second quad please!

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2004, 06:42 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Opening the floodgates - Advice on a second quad please!

Hey guys. I love my p650, but hate not having something for a girlfriend, my dad, or anyone else I bring to ride, so I'm seriously considering buying a second quad- hard recreational use only, no utility. At first my thoughts were fairly selfish, thinking I'd go for a new brute force or the like, but then I consider that this quad will not be my primary riding quad, it will likely be a girl on it, or an inexperienced friend. This has me thinking maybe a smaller more easily manageable quad like a 400cc type machine would be more ideal. I don't date big girls [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] so it has to be relatively easy to steer and comfortable. I do want it to have 4x4 and be reasonably capable, low maintenance, and be able to handle being in some water. I have found my prairie to do well in all of these circumstances, and I love the sealed brake etc, however it's large.

I haven't done much research yet, but from just being around and bsing, I've heard good things about the new Honda rancher 400 AT, Yamaha Kodiak 450's, and Suzuki Vinsons. Since I haven't done much research, and people on this board are never short on opinions [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img], I thought I'd ask for some advice!

Thanks in advance.

Old 09-09-2004, 06:51 PM
Trailblazer

get a kfx700. that way you will get a lot of fun out of having one around.

Old 09-09-2004, 07:04 PM
Pro Rider

If you want a rock solid, reliable machine get a Honda Rancher AT. If you want a very reliable machine that can almost keep up with your Prairie, get a Vinson 500. The middle ground between those two is the Suzuki Eiger 400. All 3 machines are great for the purpose.

Old 09-09-2004, 07:29 PM
Pro Rider

I should have mentioned it has to be a 4x4. Vforces are fun but I don't like pushing them out when they get stuck in the mud.

I kinda had it in my head that I might be choosing between a vinson 500 and rancher AT. What do folks think are the pros and cons to each? I want to have an auto trans for simplicity's sake so I believe the vinson would be belt drive vs honda's mechanical drive? I've heard the rancher's brakes are pretty antiquated, and worry about how they would do with constant water exposure? How much faster is the vinson, and what is the compromise?

Old 09-09-2004, 08:25 PM
Pro Rider

Lightman, I am doing the same thing you are doing. I need a second quad.

I will get a KQ700 and let others drive the 650. The KQ will beat a P700 in a race and is faster at top speed than a BF (so I hear). It has all the coolest features like EFI, wet rear brake, diff lock, IRS and handles very sporty. The seat is lower than a P700 for stability and low CG. IT is just flat out an awesome machine.

FYI, the vinson is aparently extremely reliable (more than honda).

Old 09-09-2004, 09:14 PM
Pro Rider

I only know one person with a vinson, and he had awful problems with it from the start, with it coughing and sputtering, eventually not even running, and it spent weeks in the shop before he got it in a reasonable running condition. They blamed sludge in the tank from the factory, who knows.

Nyroc, why do you say the vinson is more reliable than the rancher? I'd kinda like to get away from belt drive.

I'd love to get the second quad for ME, and if that were the case, I might get a kq700 or something like that, however I want something a bit smaller and easier to whip around for girls or inexperienced riders... Lets face it the prairie isn't exactly a small light machine that your average 115lb girl is going to whip around.. Then again, I am paying for the second quad, and maybe I should be selfish and get one that I want. Nothing is set in stone yet at this point..

Old 09-09-2004, 09:32 PM
Pro Rider

As far as the belt drive I look at it like this= Anything mechanical is going to break eventualy. If for some reason it was put in the wrong circumstance would you rather replace a $40 belt or a $1500 transmission. The belt might require a bit more attention but in the long run I think its worth it. You might also look at a scrambler, sporty, lighter weight, easy to handle, and 4WD. I agree with nyroc though, YOU get the new one since your paying, and let them use the Prairie. Its not that hard, my wifes not a big girl and she has no problems.

Old 09-09-2004, 09:43 PM
Pro Rider

sorry guys just browsing through but why not the p360??

Old 09-09-2004, 09:49 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: rivermud
I agree with nyroc though, YOU get the new one since your paying, and let them use the Prairie. Its not that hard, my wifes not a big girl and she has no problems.
EXACTLY, Rivermud!

Originally posted by: Jayblazer

sorry guys just browsing through but why not the p360??
360=slower, just as heavy, vinsons are suposedly a whole lot more reliable.

Those suzuki guys are very proud of their vinsions.

Vinsons come in auto and manual. The vinson belt drive lasts much longer and is trouble free. You don't have to adjust it.

I wouldn't take a Vinson over a P700, but I would definitely take a KQ700 over a P700.

If you are looking for little people quads, and to save money, the bayou is a good one. It is quite small. Also, the suzuki Ozark is good. My bro has one.

Old 09-09-2004, 10:01 PM
Pro Rider

I let a friend ride my prairie a week or so ago, just around my dads yard (6 acres, nothing huge). She rode about 5-10 minutes. I asked her tonight if she thought it was heavy or too big to ride around and she said she was embarassed to admit since she works out, but she was sore after riding the prairie.. I have to admit, on days that we rode 120+ miles I too was quite sore from muscling around the prairie like a sport quad all day. I just thought something smaller and lighter like 400-500cc might be better for smaller riders. How would a rancher 400AT or Vinson ride compared to a p650? How would they compare on high speed trail rides? Not speaking about power, but as far as handling etc?

Also, I must admit I still love my p650 and don't think I'm ready to call it quits on that for my main quad quite yet.. I bought the 4 yr extended warranty and plan on riding the crap out of the prairie until that's over, and then selling it for whatever's the best quad at that point. I figure if I wait 2 more years there will be something even better than a KQ or BF...

Quick Reply: Opening the floodgates - Advice on a second quad please!