Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Added pictures of Secondary P650/700 springs

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2004, 11:26 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Added pictures of Secondary P650/700 springs

In my P650 mods album/ P650 clutch pictures, I added 3 pictures of the secondary springs. The Dalton, EPI Black and stock are compared if anyone is interested in seeing them side by side.

Old 09-10-2004, 03:07 PM
Pro Rider

KOD

How did you like the orange/Blue spring and how does it compare to the EPI Red? I'm presently running the EPI Red and was thinking of making the switch to see if any more midrange to top end pull. Also where is best place to buy the Primary Clutch removal tool (gotta adjust my belt)?

TuffEnuf

Old 09-10-2004, 07:25 PM
Pro Rider

Just put in the orange/blue. Big difference from stock, the lag is gone. When it engages the rpms are already in the "power band" for lack of better term. bottom and Mid range you will see a big improovement but on top you will probably loose 2 or 3 mph. My understanding is its similar to lower gears and a stall for a car rolled into one. The ones that pull the hardest and have the high stall are normally going to run out of rpms earlier, therefore lowering top speed. This is where the tradeoff is. The best bottom end spring will reach top speed in less than 300' but it will be a lower top speed. I will test exactly how much lower tommorow along with the plain white. KOD was kind enough to test several different springs but doesnt really have a good place for top end. I will try the 3 I have on top. I Was going to test with and without shims as well, but had to order them. KOD, with the orange/blue when you raise the rpms and it engages, is it normal to hear a clank coming from the clutch? If I raise the rpms then let off just before it moves I hear it then as well. So basicly I can hear it engage and disengage now. It never did this before, is it due to the stall or is something wrong? Thanks for the pics as well.

Old 09-10-2004, 08:09 PM
Pro Rider

Monday I installed the Dalton Orange/blue primary spring for my wet ride on Tuesday. Well, I wasnt satisfied an curiousity got the best of me. I decided to install the STOCK secondary spring to see how it would act. After having it apart I decided to do an unnecessary belt adjustment. My deflection was in the 25-26mm range and I removed a .024" spacer to bring the deflection down to 19-20mm. Needless to say it squeeled like a pig when in gear, no creeping forward but squeeling bad. The funny thing is I seem to hear a small but noticable chirp when pulling out?? I know the belt is to tight to slip but cant figure out this chirp.

I have decided today I will put the stronger EPI Black back in and see if the chirp goes away. If so then the Stock spring is not strong enough with the belt that tight.

In doing all this on Monday I messed up my Dalton O/B primary spring evaluation. Im gonna leave the O/B spring in for awhile and get a good feel for it though.

Either Dalton or EPI can provide the clutch puller tool. Mine came from EPI. Actually its not mine but I keep it here at my house.

rivermud, you are welcome for the "thanks for the pics". Not sure about the "clank" you hear. I will have to listen better tonight for it. I look forward to seeing your top end test. Like you said, I never had the distance to do full out top end test with the springs I tested last year. I do know top end speed is the same with the P650 stock spring and the Dalton P/W. Those are the only two spring I can remember having in when going 68-69mph. I have never broke the 70mph mark. BTW, the 69 came with the Dynatek CDI.

Look for and update tonight around 9pm on the secondary spring and its relationship to the chirp I have.