Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

What do you think of the kfx700?

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2004, 01:57 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What do you think of the kfx700?

I am looking to replace my LT500 with a new machine and was looking at the DS650 or the Predator but I am getting more interested in the kfx700. There is not much written about the kfx so I thought I would try here to see if anyone can tell me the good/bad about them. I live in Las Vegas so I mostly ride dunes or packed trails in the desert and would like to know how it does in these conditions. Thanks for your help and happy riding.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 09-14-2004, 10:29 AM
Range Rover

This machine is great in both the sand and trails. It corners great and has awsome low end grunt. The disadvantages are the not so great rear suspension and top end speed. Top speed is roughly 74-76mph and there isn't a whole lot you can do to dramatically increase this speed at this current time. A chain drive/swingarm setup is in the makings, but may cost 4-5 grand. You can experiment with primary clutch springs to alter your engagement and rpms. There is plenty you can do to modify this machine, but topend speed gains are somewhat limited until the aftermarket catches up. I baught my 700 a year and a half ago and I'm quite happy with it and I ride it year round in all types of terrain and had no problems.

Old 09-14-2004, 04:03 PM
Range Rover

I have owned mine since it's release (production number is 200) - I love it but some people have issues with the following:
1. automatic transmission vs manual (I love it - almost always get the holeshot, and with the holeshot, I am usually throwing so much roost, they can't pass me ...)
2. weight - yea, it's heavy ... so am I
3. fuel consumption - it's 3.2 gal tank is small and it's range is 45 miles before refuel - no reserve - I think I can make 60 miles if I am cautious, but who is cautious? I ride hard and fast - just keep your eye on the fuel level
4. no instruments - no fuel guage - no speedo - (I added a trail tech computer to show MPH, hours, RPM's and so on ... I also use a GPS to confirm the numbers and help me get home.
5. Rough ride - mine was rough until I got it dialed in properly, rode it properly and broke it in properly - pay special attention to the shock settings, tire's air pressure, and riding position - now I can hit the woops at 40 mph - flying over obstacles instead of diving through them - wouyld you believe that the riding boots made a difference? Tech 8 boots were expensive but worth the $$$

I love my KFX700. The reverse is like no other system. Controlled wheelies, powerslides and just generally hauling a$$ is just the beginning.

I own a 650 prairie and a 700 V Force - I wish I could ride the both at the same time, but if forced to bring one bike on the ride...I take the 700 and roost the rest of 'em.

FYI - The 700 come stock with holeshots, aluminum rims

Bad features? The 700's headlights are fair - I ride faster than the lights shine (I replaced them with NAPA aftermarket bulbs) The mud protection is fair, I use a temporary fender extension during a wet ride, The rough ride was hard in the beginning, but is no problem now.

What changes would I make if money is not an issue?
I am adding nerfs right now
I will add dual exhaust in the future, but is not necessary
I carry a small spare fuel can on long rides - maybe an oversized tank is in the future

Hope this helps - Does anyone else have something to add, confirm or deny?

Old 09-14-2004, 04:40 PM
Pro Rider

I will second most of that. I have added nerfs a better bumper heavier skid plates and a bigger tank. I can now go close to 70 miles if not riding too hard. It does most stuff as good or better than most others. It doesn't do anything the very best except making me grin. Everyone who rides it says how fun it is even if they have other bad things to say. So for a great fun do everything quad it can't be beat. I love mine and get complements on it when ever I have it out.

Old 09-15-2004, 12:15 PM
Pro Rider

All or most of the above statements are true.... It will be nothing like your LT500, better just keep the Zilla and pick up a KFX700.. Then you will have both....[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 09-15-2004, 09:34 PM
Weekend Warrior

I'm lookin at buying one too. you guys say it is good allaround. how about slow rocky trails where you will be working it slow? have anyone had problems with burned up belts? seen a 500 polaris scrambler toast about 6 so far and it worrys me a little.

Old 09-15-2004, 09:59 PM
Weekend Warrior

Have owned mine since Sept 2003. Greatest play bike I have ever had. Rode it in a Missouri Hare scramble race several weeks ago and it beat me to death. More than I care to handle in the woods. I have Elka Shocks all around but I only weigh 150 and I had trouble controling it. I won't race it anymore but I love riding it . I ride mostly woods. Have Pro Circuit dual exhausts also. Two of my friends have bought one since.

Old 09-16-2004, 06:22 AM
Pro Rider

how does it handle is it like a raptor a bit tipsy at times? how does it jump?how much did you pay for yours?ive been thinking of going green lately.any mods you would suggest doing right of the bat?

Old 09-16-2004, 10:26 AM
Range Rover

Needaride - slow rocky trails ... this machine is wheelie happy. It's almost impossible to keep the front wheels down at takeoff, unless you feather the throttle....and who would do that? I am in Florida and the only mountains we have here are found on the beach, and those are made of silicone ...
I think a slow, rocky ride is okay with this bike, but add an uphill element to the mix and you might want to reconsider. The suspension is good (stock) but I don't ride slow - I think it is made for a faster ride.
Problem with belts - none so far with mine - no slippage - no burning -
this bike cannot compare to the Polaris - I owned a scrambler 500 4x54 as my second bike - it burned belts and my wallet - I will never own another polaris.

Burkedaddy -
tippy like a raptor? No. I am a big guy and I ride it fast. It will get tippy on a corner if you are on
the seat - I usually shift weight into the turn-hit the gas - powerslide through the turn and you
will be going real fast out of the turn - your buddy on the raptor will busy looking for the right
gear and picking the roost out of his goggles, and you will be 100 feet ahead of him.

Jumping? I don't jump it, but I think it would be too heavy to consider it a great jumper - besides
you might want to keep it in a specific gear when launching off a face -

Price? I wanted the first one - I was on a waiting list for six months - in several dealerships - my deal with them was the first one with a green one got my business - I ended up with production number 200 - and drove 12 hours to get it - on the return trip home, I stopped every hour or so to start it up and slowly break it in - love that new bike smell !!! I paid @ $6k - I dont remember exactly - shop around though, some dealers tried jacking the price up, and of course I won't go back there.
I have no mods except for nerfs, upgraded lights and I use AMSOIL instead of Kawi oil - water wetter in the rad.
I left it basically stock, but will eventually pump it up - possibly dual exhaust, heavier springs, aftermarket airfilter and whatnot -

BTW - the tie rods are weak. Guaranteed to bend. replace them immediately. JD Performance has aftermarket rods and I put them on after bending the stockers - the stock ones bent after a tree jumped out of the woods and smacked my front end - luckily, they were so weak, we bent them back BY HAND, in the woods - limped home and changed them ASAP. Search for bent tie rods in this forum and you will see what Im talking about.

Old 09-16-2004, 10:03 PM
Weekend Warrior

mudder, I live in Jacksonville florida and most of my riding is in the alapaha riverbed when its empty, major beach like sand. I ride there, ocala and Tellico with a 250 ex. It is light up front and like wheelies when climbing in lower gears but it has no power for major sand and I'm tired of being left behind. when we ride the riverbed or ocala they leave me real fast so i do some fast riding too. I'm not a racer. May have to get one of these things.

Quick Reply: What do you think of the kfx700?