Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Anybody using Dayco belt on Prairie?

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2004, 09:13 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anybody using Dayco belt on Prairie?

I posted earlier about clutch belt problems, I was checking out Nyrocs site. I noticed the Dayco belt on it for $34.95. Thats a whole lot cheaper than the stock one for $80.00. If anyones using it or knows anything about the durability of the belt I would appreciate your opinion. Last question, has anyone who replaced their belt been lucky enough to put it back together and it have the right tension and deflection? Thanks DennisC

Old 09-16-2004, 11:13 AM
Pro Rider

I have one on my prairie , and it seem to be holding up great.

Old 09-16-2004, 12:20 PM
Pro Rider

I am currently testing a belt for Dayco in my 03 P650.
I just sent them feedback on how the machine pulls better up a steep hill I climb allot. It is a flat-smooth-long-steep incline that is a blast to blast up. Without even thinking about it I have noticed when I punch it after hitting the bottom it just seemed to pull much better all the way up. Enough to make me raise an eye brow and do 2 more runs up it. Usually it is moaning just a tad the last 25 or 30 feet. With the Dayco she breaths very healthy all the way to the top.
I believe the OE may have been slipping a little or not placing it's self in the pulleys for gearing effect as well as the Dayco. The Dayco has much more contact surface than the OE witch looses it to the top cogs being angled away from the pulleys. See Here.
However I have lost 3 mph top end. I say Big Deal. I only run that fast to test the machine. This may co-inside with the better pulling up the hill.
Another thing I have noticed is there seems to be less delay when doing fast tight turns that require carfully timed throttle punching to get the rear to break loose. As you may know, belt trannys have this delay compared to the instant responce of a geared tranny. It's not much but it is there. I am not a skilled racing rider so I am usually a tad late in this department. The less delayed effect has me doing much better in the turns when me and my partner race back to camp. Keep in mind these are trails and roads I have been riding for years. This is why I am not atributing this to just plain getting better at it.
Some believe the top cogs are for cooling. I don't agree. I believe they help with flexibility and mostly decrease the amount of material to manufacture them. The more rubber, the more Kawi pays. IMO Kawasaki provided the least expensive for the quality they could get away with to also help keep the sticker price and weight down.
As for cooling. The belt housing cooling system the prairie has is well up the the task of handling a little extra heat if perhaps the dayco should run hotter. But the less slip, the less heat.
I am very happy but still want to see the belt after 100 hours.

Old 09-16-2004, 01:50 PM
Pro Rider

Excellent post T Rock---this is why this forum rules!!! I was feeling a little leery toward the dayco belt because of price---you know, you only get what you pay for--- but hearing that dayco is actually doing real world testing with a real rider has convinced me what my next belt will be

thanx

Old 09-16-2004, 02:30 PM
Pro Rider

Rock
Rumor has it that there is little to no adjustment on the Dayco Belts. How many shims were required when you installed the new Dayco belt?[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]

Old 09-16-2004, 04:02 PM
Pro Rider

The deflection was the same as the OE.
However after the install and a few minutes of riding there was a very slight hot rubber odor I feel was due to break in. I was running it hard and doing wheelies. The next time I rode it did not return. Also after the return of the first ride when I was parking it on my smooth flat garage floor, the quad wanted to creep in gear just a tiny bit in both forward and reverse. This also disappeared after the next ride. I think this is a sign of perfect belt deflection.
I failed to mention in the last post that the unit will lift the front wheels easier than before. This is a feat because I am 6'2" @ 240 pounds and have a WARN 3.0ci on the front. I could not wheelie at all untill I added the Dynatek CDI. Not a night and day difference mind you, I still have to sit on the rear of the seat, and a good traction surface (grass) has to be available.
Incase some of you are not aware, Dayco has been the leader in CVT belts for snow mobiles for a long time. They have to hold up to much more horse power loads than out prairies put out. All this added contact surface area is a sign of that. Polaris ATV riders love them and they may come standard on them, I'm not sure.

Old 09-16-2004, 05:32 PM
Trailblazer

I know nobody wants to here this but I have a connection at the Dayco Plant and got five belts for 3.15 each. No I can't become your distributor, but I am fixin to get a whole case because we know have a Brute in the stable.

DG Holeshot
DG Snorkel
K&N Filter
Dial-A-Jet-(GONE)
Supertrapp IDSX exhaust
Primary Dalton Plain\white spring
Secondary EPI black spring
P-700 Belt
28” Mudlites on C's
Odyssey 925 Dry cell battery
Warn 4000 winch on front
Warn 2500 winch on back
Headlight mod
Back-up lights

Old 09-16-2004, 06:23 PM
Pro Rider

how many miles you got on the belt now rock?

Old 09-16-2004, 07:07 PM
Trailblazer

Is Dayco making a belt for the BF yet? Has anyone had to adjust the deflection or change the belt on their BF? If so how many mile did you get on the old one?

Old 09-16-2004, 07:46 PM
Pro Rider

therock, great review.

but they had to make a different belt since you got yours! or you got a prototipe. i had 2 dayco 2017 belts. both were out of kawi specks. at the largest point on both belts i only got 28.5mm. at the narrowest point i measured i got 27.4mm. i had no shims in and i was still over 1" of deflection. i lost 2mph as you lost 3. i have since sold them and bought a kawi 700p belt. i have a total of 1.1mm of shims in it. with room to tighten it i need to.

for those of you that dont have a kawi manual.

the belt NEW should be 29.2mm to 30.4mm.
kawi said the belt should be replaced when it measures 28.8mm.

Quick Reply: Anybody using Dayco belt on Prairie?