Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Anybody using Dayco belt on Prairie?

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2004, 12:28 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anybody using Dayco belt on Prairie?

I checked the OE deflection and then installed the Dayco. It was the same so I am running it as delivered. I hope there are some shims to work with if needed.

Old 09-18-2004, 02:21 AM
Trailblazer

When I adjusted my belt I had to remove a .6mm shim that I assume was what the manufacturer or dealer put in.

Does anyone know where to get the different sized shims?

Old 09-18-2004, 06:30 AM
Pro Rider

spliffstar you can get them at the dealer. all in all you can get 5 shims. but you allready have one or two.

Old 09-18-2004, 06:34 AM
Pro Rider

therock. so are you saying that you never opened your secondary pully. you checked you deflection with the stock belt, then installed the dayco and it had the same amount as the orignal belt.

Old 09-18-2004, 09:30 AM
Pro Rider

Deerchopper, Yes. I really expected to have to do somthing. The contact surface on the OE belt is half that of the Dayco. This may be a factor there as well as the 3 mph loss.
Unless the Dayco - fails early, wears grooves in the sheives, blows apart, or the price goes up, I will run them. I am however doing a test for DAYCO in exchange for 2 free belts, and will be looking at them every 10 hours up to 100 hours and reporting here as well as to them.

ac

Old 09-19-2004, 03:40 AM
Trailblazer

I think I'll order the other 4 on monday.

Rock, how hard are you running the belt. Are you running at high speeds for any length of time. Do you do alot of mudding or water crossings. Are you running in high or low most of the time.

My biggest fear is that the belt blows at high rpm's and causes alot more damage than I would care to deal with over a belt.

Glad to hear you will be regularly inspecting the belt and posting your results. I look forward to them.

Is this an HP2017 or 2018 you are testing?

Old 09-19-2004, 04:00 AM
Trailblazer

Cuda, trailride, since you are both using the dayco it would be nice to hear your take on this belt as well. Anyone else using a dayco good or bad your opinions would be much appreciated.

Old 09-20-2004, 04:09 PM
Weekend Warrior

Ive only got 130 miles on my p700 and am in need of a belt, it has a 2inch long ridge wear that creates alot of noise, and my engine break does not work. Ive heard the dayco is not a good choice mostly because of the wear it evidentually does to the shieves.
I think I would rather pay for oem and have the proper specs, but then, again 130 miles is not very impressive wear life, granted I ride very hard. with itp 589 ,27"
For me the jurys still out.

Old 09-20-2004, 04:50 PM
Range Rover

would this belt be ok for my kfx 700? cause my dad ordered one for his 650 and now is goin to sell it and didnt want the brand new one on so would i lose performance over my stock belt to the dayco one?

Old 09-20-2004, 06:24 PM
Pro Rider

SpliffStar,

I am not slop hole mudding at all unless I cannot go around or do not want to turn back. See my signature for mods. I do like to sit to the side of a mud hole and enjoy the entertainment. I am running the HP2018 pretty hard on trails and clay roads mixed with crush & run as well as rack deep rocky creek crossings that are mandatory where I ride. I ride mostly in 2X4 Hi range unless it gets technical. I like to blast down straits and slide around turns unless I am sight seeing or have a group behind me and it is dry and dusty. As for the high speed thing I have ran it WOT 6 times until it topped out on asphalt. In the area I ride I do 35 to 40 mph allot. I use 4X4 when blasting up gravel or dry hard packed clay up hills to help save the rear tires. So I guess I do the average thing, not an old fogie but not an MX racer either.

A question for you. When you installed the K&N, did your machine seem to run a bit better? Mine feels like it is a bit healthier.

Quick Reply: Anybody using Dayco belt on Prairie?